Plastic Bags

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have asked supreme creations for a quote for 50 bags lets see what they say, it might mean that I have to get some advanced orders in order to pay for it as the next amount of cash coming in is for the new server.

Unless I try and get some free samples from somewhere and charge you lot just the postage for a bag?

I guess this is not too dishonest as we might end up using the supplier if they get popular. Who to contact for samples though any ideas.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

Dunno there, but you can stick me down for 4 if you need preorders!

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Andy/Dave, Am looking around for other people who make promotional goods which include bags - the SupremeCreations ones were sent to me because I distribute herbal supplements etc. and therefore might want them printing up for myself. Will let you know what other companies I find who do this. Sue

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brilliant Sue Please do.
and...... Twitter

Lucy Robyn
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Have you tried Bishopston Trading to make bags? (I haven't read the whole thread so appologies if this has already come up) They are local, make their own cloth bags, that they give away if you spend a certain amount or sell, and fair trade. WWW.bishopstontontrading.co.uk

They should also be in Bristol telephone directories as they are a Bristol company.

Having spent a few pounds in their shop over the years I have several bags and they are very strong! A larger one may well be what's needed for shopping. Their products are designed in uk but made in India in a village that is linked with Bishopston, Bristol.

Just a thought.

Lucy

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers Lucy, but that link does not seem to work. Will have to have a quick look in the old yellow pages.
and...... Twitter

ina

Andy Hamilton wrote:Cheers Lucy, but that link does not seem to work. Will have to have a quick look in the old yellow pages.
I think there's one "ton" too many in the name...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah ha cheers Ina that is a much better price than I have seen before, have to get 100 though. The shop is just up the road so I could go and pick them up myself. Possibly 100 is too much although if we sell them for £3.50 a bag then if we only have to sell 29 to break even and there definetly seems to be a lot of interest.

Shall I set up a page to sell them and get advanced orders in? Along with the cash for the ads at the end of this month I am thinking we could definetly could get this off the ground and have bags out by May.

They could have the logo on them with www.selfsufficientish.com and .Tv and carry a bag written on them.

So is this a goer?
and...... Twitter

Shirley

YES andy... go for it!!!

I'll take at least 5 and I'm sure that others will want one or more!

Shirlz xxx
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

will we all be able to order them? Adding on postage of course.

i'll definately order a few :cheers:
I am happy to have a space to grow once again :)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shelle wrote:will we all be able to order them? Adding on postage of course.

i'll definately order a few :cheers:
Yep, the page will be set up with a paypal thinging on it. I shall work out the postage costs. Packaging will be free as I have a box full of jiffy bags that I got from freecycle.

I am thinking that postage looks like it will work out as £0.35 for one-two bags, £0.71 for three-four and 83p for five-six bags. That is 2nd class Uk only post.

For outside the UK surface mail the costs are £0.67, £0.90 and between £1.13 and £1.36 so not a huge amonunt extra for postage costs.
and...... Twitter

The Chili Monster

Weekends in Barcelona? Cheap travel? Well, if you're offering mate ...
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Millymollymandy

Dirty spammer zapped!

sallyh
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Good work with the Carry- A -Bag campaign. I'll definitely be printing off your form.

I'm new to this site but over the last few months have been getting increasingly angry about the ridiculous use of plastic bags in shops and supermarkets - i bought a pair of shoes and a scarf in Marks and Spencer last week and despite asking for no bags please - came away with three bags - each thing wrapped individually and then put in one big bag. I'd usually complain but was so stunned i ended up having them forced on me. Never again!

I was very pleased to hear on Newsnight last night T***o's plans to introduce fully degradeable plastic bags by September and to reduce the number that are used. Well done to them for starting the ball rolling - as the biggest supermarket i hope it's only a matter of time before all the others follow suit.

Shirley

Hi Sally!!

Great to meet you 8)

Somerfield and the Co-op have been doing the degradable bags for a few years now - am surprised that it's taken T***o so long to jump on the bandwagon to be honest.... Still... it's good to hear that they are intending to reduce the number of bags used... not sure when they will pass this info to their checkout staff though. Had to go to T***o today (sorry all) and I had my own bags.... was struggling to get packed quickly... so what does the woman do but start to help using plastic bags... the end of the checkout was covered in MY clearly visible bags. I pointed it out but she didn't seem to bother.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/