Help me with my roast potatoes.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help me with my roast potatoes.

I know how to roast potatoes, I do the most amazing fluffy on the inside crispy on the outside roast potatoes you could ever imagine.... I am salivating just thinking about them...

However....

About this time last year I tried to make some out of desirees and they shriveled up and were horribly solid, totally inedible and a complete waste of time...

So tell me what I did wrong? Can I not roast fresh totties straight from the ground? do they have to be stored first?

I have Maris Peer, Maris Piper, Desiree, Arran pilots and.... some other main crop I forget the name of now (pentland javelin???)... all in the ground and I want some roast totties for my dinner tonight.

Any pointers or was last time a complete fluke and they will be fine if I just do what I usually do (parboiled, and roasted in goose fat)
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help me with my roast potatoes.

Quick as you can please they need to go in the oven in about an hour. :flower:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

No idea I'm afraid it seems to be completely pot luck in the luvpie household, but I want to say I hate you, that first sentance has made me so hungry, but going on holiday tomorrow so we have ham and yesterdays loaf in and thats all. Even if your tatties don't come out perfect your tea is going to be so much nicer than mine and Georges!!

Sarahx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

you can defiantly make good roasties with taties straight from the ground, but I know certain varieties are better than others. I'm not sure about Deserees, but I know maris piper are meant to be a good roaster
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks guys :D

Next trick is to
a) remember which bed the Maris Pipers are in :roll:
b) dig enough up for dinner with the 'help' of a 2 year old... well, she's nearly 3, she is trying bless her.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

my roasties are great every time, heres how I do em:

Choose a variety thats more on the floury side. Boil them til cooked through. Drain em in a collander and shake about a bit to fluff up the edges. Whilst doing this preheat the oven to at least 200 C (I usually go with 220). Use a deepish baking tray and add a few good glugs of olive oil, put this in the oven to heat the oil. Once the oil is hot (doesn't take very long) add the tatoes, you should get a good sizzle. Toss them about so that they are all covered in oil and bung em in the oven. Keep an eye on them and toss them occassionally so they crisp evenly. Once they have reached optimum crispness remove and serve! (anywhere from 45 mins to 1hr 20 ish, I usually adjust the heat and time to go with whatever else I'm cooking but hot and fast seems to get best results)

I know a lot of people say that goose fat is the way to go but I get excellent results every time with this method.

Let me know how you get on!

witchstorm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

It's definately variety, the spuds we planted this year (name escapes me) are rubbish for roasties :(

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

As far as I remember, Desiree are salad potatoes, nice and firm, not at all fluffy - so no good for roasties.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well the Maris Pipers are in now... but someone!!!!!!!!!! had thrown out my goosefat, so veg oil it is.

I have roasted desiree from the stupermarket and had good results... but maybe just not from fresh.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

let us know how you get on ;)

for an alternative to roasts when you only have new potatoes in the house (or garden) you can boil them until soft & then fry them n olive oil & garlic, they're yummy!
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan wrote:Well the Maris Pipers are in now... but someone!!!!!!!!!! had thrown out my goosefat, so veg oil it is.
I only ever use veg oil, goose fat just doesn't appeal to me, but the other week just as I got the gammon joint out the oven I transfered the tatties into the dish so they finished cooking in the meat juices, they were delish tasted like crackling!

Sx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

They were good. A little tough and not as good as usual but fine.... everyone had seconds :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

In my experience they don't roast AS well, but it always annoyed me that when I was little we always had boiled potatoes with the roast in summer, because I was told you can't roast new potatoes. Oh yes you can!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've found exactly the same thing as you Annpan. Spuds straight out of the ground do not make very nice roasties - I put it down to the amount of sugar vs starch with the sugar turning to starch in time...but that might be complete nonsense. :?

The best varieties we've had for roast potatoes this year have been Pentland Javelin and Nicola which produced huge new potatoes.

I peel rather than scrape the spuds, par-boil them for just 5 minutes, give them a rattle around the pot after draining off the water (to "fluff" up the outside a bit) then straight into the pan of hot oil from the oven with a couple of whole, peeled red onions in it. Yum!

I use sunflower oil with a spurge of olive oil.

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

It is always said that floury potatoes are best for roasting or baking, but I really hate floury potatoes. I find them too dry but my husband loves them. Waxy potatoes for me.

Maggie