Autumn!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Autumn!

I had to sweep up a pile of leaves today, and felt a bit sad that there's a nip in the air already. Autumn seems to be coming a bit early. I love winter, but saying goodbye to summer is sad :cry:

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Autumn!

See how we are all different ... I dont mind the summer fading ... its autumn for me ... I love it as long as it don't rain to much, had that all summer though... :lol:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

thesunflowergal

I don't mind the Autumn to much, its winter that I can not stand and it always seems to last so much longer than all of the other seasons.
Hubby and I have lots of work to do in the garden, it all needs a serious sort out.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Autumn is the time that I rejig my flower beds but it is always soooooo dry here until October/Nov that it is hard work. It has looked very autumnal here for the last few weeks. Getting extremely dry again :roll: so more pickaxe in concrete like soil to plant anything new. :( Oh well I guess I'm used to it by now.

Whilst I like autumn itself I don't like it (if that makes sense) because it means the end of the growing season and winter coming. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

I love all the seasons and think each has it's own merits.

In Spring it's fantastic to see everything bursting into life in that weird green colour that doesn't quite look real, getting into the greenhouse to sow seeds, and feeling a bit of heat from the sun for the first time in months.

Summer, of course, means not having to put on coats and gloves every time you leave the house, harvesting lots, and lots of home-grown fruit and veg, being able to get out in the garden in an evening before plonking down in a garden chair for a glass of home-brew before bed.

Autumn - well I just love all the different colours, all the golds, reds, yellows and browns. I love jumping up and down in dry leaves. And it's nice to clear up all the old plants and make the plot look tidy again.

Winter: now I might be a bit of a romantic, but I know you lot are too :wink: Isn't winter just great? Sitting, all snuggled up in a big woolly jumper. If we're lucky enough to get snow, it's the most beautiful scene. Even when I lived in a house with no gardens and looked out over a railway line, in the snow it was beautiful. And how lovely to sit there with a cup of hot chocolate browsing through seed catalogues.

*sigh*
Rosey xx

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not autumn......spring! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

I just wish we'd had a Summer here - lovely in May since then wet and windy ... going to be a very long Winter at this rate...

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

I do love Autumn but its a bit early this year, no? Some of the hips have already gone over and the haws are ripe already! Bizarrely though, i've still got some Elderflowers in the shady bits...

The only thing that will make up for the damp Summer is a spectacularly snowy Winter (of course i can say that now that I don't have to commute out of the village)

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rosendula wrote:I love all the seasons and think each has it's own merits.

In Spring it's fantastic to see everything bursting into life in that weird green colour that doesn't quite look real, getting into the greenhouse to sow seeds, and feeling a bit of heat from the sun for the first time in months.

Summer, of course, means not having to put on coats and gloves every time you leave the house, harvesting lots, and lots of home-grown fruit and veg, being able to get out in the garden in an evening before plonking down in a garden chair for a glass of home-brew before bed.

Autumn - well I just love all the different colours, all the golds, reds, yellows and browns. I love jumping up and down in dry leaves. And it's nice to clear up all the old plants and make the plot look tidy again.

Winter: now I might be a bit of a romantic, but I know you lot are too :wink: Isn't winter just great? Sitting, all snuggled up in a big woolly jumper. If we're lucky enough to get snow, it's the most beautiful scene. Even when I lived in a house with no gardens and looked out over a railway line, in the snow it was beautiful. And how lovely to sit there with a cup of hot chocolate browsing through seed catalogues.

*sigh*
Couldn't have explained it better myself!

Though it does help that now I'm out in France, the air is less damp all year round, the winter is crisper, the spring and autumn warmer, and the summer... Wow, I'd never felt 40°c before!

:cheers:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Millymollymandy

Did you have 40C in Ile de France :shock: or did you go to the south?

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ile de France. Juziers, to be precise. And we were moving house that day. :shock:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

pumpy

lovelygreenleaves wrote:I had to sweep up a pile of leaves today, and felt a bit sad that there's a nip in the air already. Autumn seems to be coming a bit early. I love winter, but saying goodbye to summer is sad :cry:
I know how you feel, but at least you were able to sweep some leaves. I try that round here............? i get a good pile to transfer to the leaf-mould bin, then one gust of wind & i'm chasing the buggers around the garden again!! :roll:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Millymollymandy

Brij wrote:Ile de France. Juziers, to be precise. And we were moving house that day. :shock:
Gosh I'm surprised, it's only just hit 30C here, once! How is the new house and more importantly, the garden?

Flo

What's autumn?

There's digging season, planting season, growing season and harvest season. It looks as if my year runs to a totally different calendar. :lol:

Carltonian Man

Autumn's the season for me regarding foraging. Yesterday's wayside snack saw some of the last sweet green hazelnuts (once brown they're too tough to crack in my teeth..) and already the wild mushies are making a welcome show. Just wish it would stop raining and be less humid.