How do I...get hold of a baking stone?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Calum
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How do I...get hold of a baking stone?

Hi everyone

My first post here - please be gentle ;)

I've been pondering the pros and cons of using a baking stone in my oven, but I don't really want to buy one of those readily available pizza stones as a) they don't seem very good value b) they aren't really big enough to take more than one loaf at a time.

I know some people use paving stones and the like, which would be perfect, but I don't know what's the best kind of stone to go for. Any ideas / experiences to share?

Thanks!

Calum

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: How do I...get hold of a baking stone?

Hi Calum and welcome.

I've got an outdoor bread oven which has a terracotta bakestone - or I suppose tile not stone. It takes the high temperatures just fine and cooks a pizza from raw in approx 2-4 minutes, depending on thickness of crust.

The only thing is you can't dunk it in water to wash it - most stuff gets burned off it anyway, but you can only give it a wipe with a damp cloth.

Hope that helps.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Calum
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

In B&Q yesterday and found good sized sandstone slab reduced to £2. Works a treat! Flat breads done on it were really great. I used my rimless baking sheet as a peel, although I was more successful in using it to remove the breads from the oven than I was putting them in. Practice required I guess.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Keep an eye out for reductions in the barbecue section as well - we got a short handled bread peel for a couple of quid a few years ago. Not sure what you'd use it for on a bbq.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin