The old boiler!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Merry
A selfsufficientish Regular

The old boiler!

We`ve just calculated our footprint (again) and the advice said we should change to a new all-dancing central heating boiler.
Our old one is about 40 years old and works very well. We only use it in winter and not very fiercely then as the house (and us) are well insulated etc.
Thing is - a new set up would take absolutely all of our rainy day money. Our pensions are just enough to keep us out of the benefits zone so we wouldn`t get any financial assistance.
What to do....what to do.......?
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Milims

Re: The old boiler!

Have you looked into the possibility of a grant? The eaga partnership do grants for that sort of thing and you may just qualify
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Merry

Thanks for that - I`ll google that acronym and see what emerges!
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I reckon it depends on how much you pay out on boiler fuel - and what sort of fuel.
My experience -- we had a 14 year old boiler; we use bottled gas as there's no mains gas supply; the cost of winter fuel was getting near to £750; early last year we had a new boiler fitted (total cost £2500 ish); the winter fuel costs between 2007/8 and 2008/9 was reduced by two thirds; I reckon four more years and it's paid for.
Obviously my fuel costs are very high, and mains gas being less costly will be not so noticeable cost savings.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: