Sinusitis

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sinusitis

It seems I have it yet again! I've taken co-codamol but still feel like I've been punched in the face :( Does anyone have any remedies? I went to the doc last time and he gave me antibots which seemed to work temporarily, but I'd rather not keep doing that.
Feeling yuck, precious and grumpy, :( and want to eat nothing but yoghurt and G&B white choc :iconbiggrin:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Sinusitis

Try a peppermint and thyme steam inhalation (dry herb - boiling water - towel - you know the drill) for symptomatic relief. Or make a tea - inhale the steam while it cools then drink it - not sure the two together would work as a drink (it might!) but one or the other - or alternating maybe...

But if you keep getting it - see a Herbalist to figure out why...
http://www.nimh.org.uk to find your nearest Herbalist or a free/reduced cost student clinic

pumpy

Steaming with menthol crystals (available from any chemist), always works for me. But whatever you do ,don't breathe in thro' your mouth, & definately do not drink it!!! Oh, & make sure you have plenty of tissues to hand. Hope you get sorted p.d.q.! :cheers:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

No tips I'm afraid but a big :hugish: from me. I've just got over a long spell of it. Took a couple of weeks to get rid of it. The worst part was that I got out of breath really quickly so couldn't exercise. Still suffering with the tinnitus though.

Zoe

red

can you take asprin? i would have thought that would hit the pain more than codeine.

poor you :hugish: it's not nice
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

I don't even know what it is exactly but it sounds like the nasty sinus pain you can get with a cold? I can't help but just to say I hope you get better soon and :hugish:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Milims

Thank you all for the tips and hugs. It's not so painful this morning - although the earache is niggling - but that could just be down to my daughters singing! :lol: I'm certainly going to try out what you've recommended, although I'd love to know why it keeps happening. :dontknow:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I have two suggestions.

1) a gentle sinus massage - use some essential oil - just a drop in a tsp of veg oil, it doesn't really matter which, all are in some part anti-infectious but choose one that's not going to hurt your eyes, so not too strong. You don't put the oils in your eyes (obviously :shock: ) but you are working quite close.

Just dip your middle fingers in the oil, and press gently over the sinus areas for a few seconds (side of the nose under the cheekbones and top of the nose over and under your eyebrows, and stroke away under the cheekbones, over the eyebrows. Repeat 3-4 times.

It will be very tender to start - the pain is often caused by the pressure of the blocked sinuses. And your nose will run like a tap, probably for 24hrs, but it'll feel great quite quickly.

2) Sinus washout, which I was taught by an ayurvedic anaesthetist I used to work with. Again it hurts like mad but I only had to do it the once - never had sinusitis since! I think they're too scared :lol:

Dissolve a little salt in about a dessertspoon of water. Put a tspful in the palm of your hand and blocking off one nostril snort the saline into the other side. Then do the same on the other side.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

my dad suffers from sinusitis a lot and nasal pollops he uses this stuff called sinu-rinse(sp) from the chemist its just a salt water solution in a squeezy bottle really, but he reckons it helps loads
i tried it once when i had blocked sinuses but i didnt like the feeling of water up me nose :pukeright:
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

Thomzo

I gave up and went to the doc in the end. She recommended the nasal spray that you get for hayfever. I do think it has really helped.

Mandy, yes that is exactly what it is.

I find that paracetamol helps more than aspirin. It opens up the sinuses and releases the gunk, so it's not pretty, but it clears the pain much more quickly.

Cheers
Zoe

Carltonian Man

Thomzo wrote: Still suffering with the tinnitus though.

Zoe

Sympathies with the tinny Thomzo. You and me both. Let me know if you ever find something that helps

Martin

Millymollymandy

Another question from someone not very clued up medically :roll: - I had a week or so of hearing what felt like a clock going tick tock in my ear - worse when my ear was pressing the pillow - is that tinnitus or is it purely ringing in your ears? It's not the sort of thing I want to go running to the doctor about yet was a bit wierd and worrying at the same time as I've never had noises like that in my ears before. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

I found a home remedy for sinusitis in a book I have:

Take a teaspoon of freshly grated horseradish mixed with lemon juice everyday. :shock:

I think it might be kill or cure to be honest, I have yet to try it!

If anyone gives it a go let me know how you get on!

Milims

Millymollymandy wrote:Another question from someone not very clued up medically :roll: - I had a week or so of hearing what felt like a clock going tick tock in my ear - worse when my ear was pressing the pillow - is that tinnitus or is it purely ringing in your ears? It's not the sort of thing I want to go running to the doctor about yet was a bit wierd and worrying at the same time as I've never had noises like that in my ears before. :dontknow:
Is it possible that what you are hearing is blood pulsing?
I had tinnitus when I was pregnant with my daughter - a hormone imbalance apprently. I was like a loud humming coming out of my ears rather than going in IYKWIM. My hearing was also distorted and I couldn't stand the sound of running water or music, but the noise of the hoover made me feel better. I had to switch the hoover on before I flushed the loo!
It's a really horrid thing to have and extremely distressing - you have my sympathy Tomzo :hugish:
I think I might try your remedy Loobyloo - I love horseraddish!
:icon_smile: :iconbiggrin:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

Thomzo

My tinnitus is like a constant high-pitched electronic whine. For that reason, I can't stand anything that sounds like it. The supermarkets are the worst, all those ringing tills and beeping phones.

We had a thread about it a couple of years ago and there was some really good advice. Avoiding aspartime has helped more than anything and cutting down on the caffeine as well. I still get it when my sinusitis is playing up, but the nasal spray has helped that as well.

Cheers
Zoe