What have you found lately?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What have you found lately?

Well done Milims! :shock: :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

2 x 50 yards of 8ft wide green nylon mesh - in an old farmyard where my friend has a workshop . one of those 101 uses for things :wink:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

grahamhobbs

Went to the recycling centre and found 3 very large terracota pots, one still had the sale ticket on it for £72!!! The next time we went a bloke and his son came in with a plank of solid oak, 80 x 180 x 5cm thick, it weighs a ton but will make a beautiful table top. Walking down Brick Lane, left outside was some odd bits and pieces, we got 6 traditional chinese silk(?) lanterns - thinking how we can put candles in them and hang them in the trees at the allotment when we have a party.

Milims

I recently found one of those spinny washing line things in perfect working order!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Carltonian Man

I found this near the river Trent after the 2000 floods. It's the business end of an old oak pile which I think would originally have been driven into the gravel beds to form part of a navigation structure. Water-logged and encrusted in stones it about dislocated my back when I first found it.
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (85.07 KiB) Viewed 7132 times

Millymollymandy

I like that - that's really original and looks fantastic. :thumbright: Well done!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Polystyrene and corflute vege boxes from local fruit and vege shop, he just chucks them into landfill, I now plant seeds in them and display my seedlings at gate (in hrecycled pallet stall) and farmers markets :cheers:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wading round various rivers has led me to find a few useful things (though i admit i dont take it all home)

A massive stainless steel cooking pot (and lid). Took a fair amount of cleaning but so useful for making post glut soup!

Lots of bikes, most too rusted to be any use but plenty of spare parts salvaged off them.

A large outdoor wooden chair. One of those really nice stable hard wood ones that you get in pubs. There was a bit of a squabble about who got to keep it (unfortunately I didnt win but it would have been a hell of a haul home!)

Mounds of angling bits, lures, floats, etc.

A gun safe

More cars and motor bikes than you imagine could live in the Thames (they are much appreciated as fish refuge though!)

Animal hutches

Rolls of chicken wire

It really is baffling what people will throw away. I am hoping to find enough to build a chicken coop when I move to the west country ;)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carltonian Man wrote:I found this near the river Trent after the 2000 floods. It's the business end of an old oak pile which I think would originally have been driven into the gravel beds to form part of a navigation structure. Water-logged and encrusted in stones it about dislocated my back when I first found it.
Wooh hoo - just noticed this one. You wouldn't care, for the sake of local history, to tell me exactly where near the Trent you found this, would you? (PM if that's better). And if you have any photos a bit closer in? Especially of the rivets and the joints between the straps and the cap? And whether it was upright or laid over on its side - and a million more questions.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Milims

A couple of weeks ago I went to the bottle bank and someone had abandoned one of those wee electric fires that look like a log burning stove. So I took it home, gave it the once over and it's now in my parents conservatory!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

suziq
Tom Good
Tom Good

this is a fabby thread! :flower:

we stripped off old plywood from under the stair treads at our old house, fixing damp

about 100 old cigarette cards fell out from around 1940 including wartime gasmasks cars gardening etc

i plan to frame them

in our shed of the new house i found a homemade tile with a postoffice scene in 3d and painted, it lives on the kitchen windowsill, nice to link old with new

Milims

Nice finds Suzi!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
Edward Monkton

scallywag
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bags and bags of leaves! I throw them into my chicken run for the girls to scratch around in.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

we went beachcombing on hol and came back with 3 fishing float, 1 fishbox and 1 creel (all in vg condition) - yippee :cheers: Roll on next year when we plan to put the pot down in the loch

Flo

I found a quiet little back road leading to a dead end that was absolutely full of leaves. Two of us allotment holders have swept up nearly 100 garden sacks of them. Seems that the council doesn't sweep there in winter - only when the adjacent castle is open. Well we could do the same next year then.