Has anyone made their own stair gate?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Has anyone made their own stair gate?

We need to do this as our stairs are very wide and there's no way we can afford a super duper gate with endless attachments. We have a fair bit of wood lying around that we accumulated for the henhouse so have the raw materials. DH can throw something together quite convincingly but I'd be interested to see a pattern or some designs.

This looks interesting http://daddytypes.com/2006/11/28/sweet_ ... _phase.php - liking the wheel but the catch looks a bit too accessible. DS is nine months and speedy gonzalez from his room to the top of the stairs >wot no hair standing on end icon??<
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Has anyone made their own stair gate?

I can't help you with this, although I'd also be interested to see anyone else's attempts. We could do with modifying ours/building a custom one with a cat flap in it. Dusty can cope with the big leap (of course she can... she's a cat!), but she makes a right old racket when her paws land on top of it. Thankfully it has never woken the baby or the toddler, but it wakes me, and that is far worse!

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I can't help either. Many years ago, though, our second hand cot got to the stage where we thought it best to move then-LO into a bed with a guard on it, even though she was quite young for it. OH used a panel from the cot to make a stair gate. It looked quite nice.

Totally unhelpful, but you just reminded me of it. :icon_smile:
Rosey xx

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

We had one made from MDF. Wooden posts joined to one wall and one newell post then a small bolt half way down .
It was basically just a solid gate but kept the little ones from going downstairs.
We also had gates between rooms. 2 strips of wood on either side of the door frame acted as a slot and the sheets of MDF just fitten in between.We could just about step over them ourselves. I used to have the whole dining room as the play pen in that way so that I could cook in our little kitchen but step in and out of the dining room for the kids.
The back door was a sliding patio window and had a gate that fitted in to the open part with a couple of little latches to help it stay wedged in. That was made of dowelling fitted into a squareish frame.
The cot side idea sounds good .