diesel generator

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

diesel generator

:dontknow: Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a 6000kw diesel generator and was wondering if it was possible to run it on biodiesel or old vegetable oil etc. I don't care if it will smell like a chipshop :mrgreen:
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

Methusela
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: diesel generator

Hi there,

So far as i know (and i must stress i'm working from memory here) you can run a diesel generator on vege oil quite nicely, make sure you strain it through a fine woven cloth before you fill her up though, don't imagine chips in the fuel lines are fun to get out. I have seen people recommend adding a little engine oil to the mix as a lubricant although for the life of me i can't remember the recommended ratios.

By the same token it should run quite nicely on biodiesel, if a car engine will run on it the relatively rugged diesel engines in most generators will run on it quite nicely.

I would bare in mind that if you are planning to buy a new generator using anything other than white (regular) diesel or gas oil (red diesel) will probably not do wonders for your warranty in the event anything should go wrong.

Also i am not sure where you would stand with regards to customs and excise. I know if you use alternative fuels such as biodiesel for road cars you have to pay a duty on the fuel used (this duty is one of the many reasons fuel from the pump is so expensive in the uk, it's bundled in at point of sale). I could not begin to imagine if this would also apply to your generator or not.

I work with generators like this on a daily basis so my thoughts are based on that experience and a lot of research i did on ye olde interweb a few years ago so take it with a pinch of salt to be on the safe side.

Hope this has been of some little help at least.

Paul

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sorry spitfire I don't know anything about generators, although I will watch with interest. We get power cuts periodically, always in the depths of winter of course, and I've been toying with a generator to keep the lights and central heating pump going.

Methusela ( I don't believe you're that old!) - I just wanted to say hello and welcome. Why don't you post in the Hello section and tell us how old you really are (or anything else you fancy) :wave: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Will work fine so long as you get the correct mixture. Mr Diesel's first engine was run on peanut oil after all. Google it – there are plenty of sites that will keep you right.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

If the engine is not converted to run on alternatives, it can still run on veg oil but you may experience problems on start up (or lack of it, veg oil is too viscous). If it is a being used as a generator and is on most of the time, this could be easily overcome by having a small tank with standard diesel to power the start up and then switch to veg oil once running and switch back just before turning off the engine. This can easily be done manually but if you want the generator to fire automatically when needed then it is a little bit more complicated to arrange - might be easier if you relied on a mix of diesel and veg oil.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

spitfire wrote:6000kw
Holy moley, that's one BIG generator! :shock: I presume you meant 6000W or 6kW.

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life

OOP'S!!!!!! you are soooooo right, by fingers were in overdrive and my brain was in reverse on that one. :drunken: you are correct it is a 6000w genny not 6000kw. thanks for catching that one :thumbright:

robert_jenkins

I know that diesel generators are supposed to curb harmful emissions, but shouldn't that STILL cause pollution. How about considering solar power? You can go to xxxxxxxxxx to find out more.

Edited by admin.

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am going solar but i want the generator as a back up to keep the battery bank charged,also the generator will be our only source of power until the solar is installed. I am looking into wind turbines also as a back up for the solarto make power at night or on cloudy/snow days etc. I am going to do the solar/wind turbines as money permits so that is why i an looking at biodeisel, It is better for the enviornment that gas/petrol. :brave:

sunnybp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yes, the solar/wind turbines is really ECO friend system, but the cost may be very high. The most important is you should also need petrol generator to give you 100% guarantee(any time you wanted) for your electric appliance running.
spitfire wrote:I am going solar but i want the generator as a back up to keep the battery bank charged,also the generator will be our only source of power until the solar is installed. I am looking into wind turbines also as a back up for the solarto make power at night or on cloudy/snow days etc. I am going to do the solar/wind turbines as money permits so that is why i an looking at biodeisel, It is better for the enviornment that gas/petrol. :brave:
Technical support engineer
Sunny billion power LTD
www.sunnybp.com