double glazing excitement

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

double glazing excitement

Hi everyone,

I am currently having double glazing fitted as I type this. I am very excited. After nearly 3 years in our hours, much saving and deliberation over types, suppliers and prices, we are finally getting some UPVC ones fitted. Cant wait to wake up in the winter mornings and not be freezing! woop! :cheers:

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: double glazing excitement

Wow - that's some response to a double glazed window!! :shock: Can't imagine how excited you must get over Death By Chocolate!!
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Helsbells

I know, its very sad!!
I am told this is what happens after you get married?

I am just really looking forward o not having puddles of water on the windown sill every morning!!

Millymollymandy

Oh that can still happen with double glazing in a cold room. :( Should be OK if you have heating though!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Martina
Living the good life
Living the good life

Helsbells wrote:Hi everyone,

I am currently having double glazing fitted as I type this. I am very excited. After nearly 3 years in our hours, much saving and deliberation over types, suppliers and prices, we are finally getting some UPVC ones fitted. Cant wait to wake up in the winter mornings and not be freezing! woop! :cheers:
Sounds great, Helbells. :cheers: May you have many warm and toasty mornings to enjoy them!

Martina
You can see my photos at------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007483@N05/

Helsbells

Yey no condensation at all this morning (even though the installers said there might be some untill the walls dry out!)
I am sitting here at 5.30 normally freezing but without slippers, central heating is not on and I am lovely and warm!

Millymollymandy

Hooray! Glad it has made a big difference. :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It's amazing what a difference it makes. You'll find the house a lot quieter as well as it keeps noise out really well.

The office I work in doesn't have double glazing (amazing isn't it in this day and age!). I look out over the park which is normally quite nice but it's half term at the moment so in the afternoons the park is full of teenagers. I can hardly hear myself think with all their shouting.

Enjoy

Zoe

Memphis Slim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 35.1 N
longitude: 90 W

I hope you are enjoying those double glazed windows, Helsbells.

I looked into replacing my 80 year old single paned windows but found that it is not at all cost justified. My current windows are in good shape and with care will probably last another 80 years. Instead of replacing, I have installed gaskets around the edges of the windows, caulked around the storm windows, and I am currently making window inserts to sit inside the frame based off of these plans. All together, I am looking at $300 US to make what is essentially a triple paned window instead of the $4000 to replace windows. Granted, they aren't as sexy as the new double glazed, but they are good enough to pass my wife's "sniff test" on aesthetics and are very easy on my budget.

Cheers

Helsbells

Hi MS,
Yes we are very much enjoying the windows still! They didn't cost $4000 though thankfully, about half that, and I am hoping we will make the money back when we sell the house. Its only small and we don't plan on staying here forever.
It has made a big differance to the warmth of the house, when I open the curtains in the morning there is no differance to the temarature behind the curtains to infront of them.

grahamhobbs

We got our old timber sash windows replaced with uPVC double glazed ones, ok they are a bit warmer (although we like to keep the windows open a lot of the time during the day anyway) but why, oh why do uPVC ones have to look so naf compared to the beautifully worked out old wooden ones, with their big ugly sections and bits that don't match. Also if anything goes wrong with them, a carpenter won't be able to repair them, it will be a whole new window thank you.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good for you! My double glazing has water dripping down it in the morning, but I don't have the heating on in every room, just the front room. Best thing is that it cuts out the traffic noise - which I don't like.