Calendula infusion

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Calendula infusion

I have been attempting to make a calendula infusion by popping some fresh petals in a bottle with some olive oil and leaving in the sun for some weeks, shaking occasionally.
I have read this is the way to go but also that the petals must be dried or the infusionis useless (which sounds like it may be true...)
Does anyone know the truth of the matter?
I just want to make some salve for bumped knees etc and my plan was to mix the oil with melted beeswax...
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Calendula infusion

The petals do not need to be dried, but you need to be sure that they are all covered otherwise the oil can go off. This is especially true with comfrey which tends to go mouldy. I make my marigold infused oil by picking the flower heads (not just the petals), covering them with oil and heating in a water bath for 2 hours, strain and use same oil and fresh flowers for another 2 hours. Strain and let the oil settle overnight and pour off the oil leaving any water at the bottom behind. If there is water from the flowers in the oil it goes off much quicker.

To turn this into an ointment again heat in jug in a pan of boiling water and melt through 10 to 20% beeswax. usually about 15% but each lot of beeswax is slightly different. I test it by dipping a cold spoon into the mix and seeing what it is like when it sets. This makes fab lib balm or healing salve.

Good luck.

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thankyou so much that is such an informative reply! Do you think my attempt at infusion (as above) would be any good for anything or should I just cut to the chase, throw it away and follow your method?
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Calendula salve may well have been the very first Ish-thing I did, about 10 years ago. My daughter suffered horrible eczema. We tried all sorts of things on prescription and over the counter. Every thing we put on had her screaming in agony and running to the bathroom to try to wash it off - impossible when it's already soaked into the skin, poor lass. Anyway, I was at Uni and had to write an essay about witchcraft (for an Anthropology module), and I came across a book which listed lots of different plants and conditions they were good for treating. It said calendula is good for eczema. So first I tried making a tea with it, I scratched off a little scab from a cut on my ankle and poured some on. It didn't hurt, so then I offered it to my daughter to try. It didn't hurt her either :cheers: So I tried it a bit stronger, and then tried making a salve with it. Although she now prefers to put nothing at all on, when she has wanted something for it in the past, calendula is the only thing she trusted.

And they're such happy flowers :flower:

To answer your last question though, Jessiebean, try it however you will, but R&J's method is a good one that I have also used, and it does make a lovely salve. Just make sure you don't start it too late, because it takes many hours, and do it on a rainy day when you want to stay in anyway.
Rosey xx

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Use the one you have started :icon_smile: Is the oil packed with petals? If not then you could use the same oil with fresh petals to make it stronger. It is fine to do it in the sun but takes longer..... (how I would love to be in tasmania not scotland right now. It has been raining here for weeks and I have forgotten what the sun looks like!)

Marigold is great for all sorts of skin problems. It is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, healing to cuts and grazes, good for dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis (although some may argue it isn't). The only thing I wouldn't do is use it on a deep wound as it can cause the skin to heal trapping an infection below. In my house I use it for babies bottoms(separate tub!), lib balm, gardeners hands and kids grazes. I am sure if you google uses for marigold (calendula officinalis) you would find lots more. Internally it cleanses the body from a cellular level up and makes great tea, stock and the petals add colour to a salad. I also used marigold tea to sort out a friend dog who had dermatitis that had been stumping vets for months.

Good luck. Just be careful your water bath doesn't boil dry!

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for all your help everyone! I have made the salve now and in little (recycled) containers.
I made it with the oil as above, a bit of beeswax and a bit of coconut oil for a softer texture...
I also cleared out my old lip balm containers and made some nice stuff with just beeswax and coconut oil, a bit of salve and a touch of cointreau!
salve.jpg
salve.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 3817 times

Rosendula

Well done. Let us know if you're knobbly knees improve :wink:
Rosey xx

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

he he I don't think the cointreau flavoured it much, but it is delicious with the coconut and honey smelling beeswax!
My bigger little man Master almost Three requests the calendula salve specifically for scrapes to his little kneesies so it definitely has good placebo effect if nothing else!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No placebo effect Jessie. Calendula has the most amazing soothing and healing properties.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have used marigold for lots of wounds and it speeds healing by 25%. What would normally take 8 days heals in 6. The same is true for comfrey and wounds/broken bones etc.

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ah yes, the only reason I would mention placebo effect is I am not sure of how well I made the ointment and the efficacy of it- but Master Almost threes knees are scab free at present!