How do I make bread?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Cheezy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How do I make bread?

wulf wrote:
Cheezy wrote:This book will change how you make bread: Richard Bertinet "Dough"...
I picked it up a couple of years ago in a remainders bookshop and can concur that it changed how I made bread. I still use my bread machine but mainly use Bertinet's method now.

The twist I put on it is that rather than starting to fold the ingredients once they are mixed, I cover the bowl and leave it for 15-20 minutes. The yeast starts to work and the dough is already partly developed by the time I turn it onto a board and gently lift, stretch and fold it a few times. Turning out the dough immediately and folding it until it stops being sticky seems a wasted effort compared to adding in a extra waiting period.

Wulf
In his second book "Crust" (strickly for the hardcore!), he actually goes into a bit of detail about that method commercially it's called autolysis. He leaves it for 45 mins before the kneeding. I should give it ago, but when I'm making bread I do 3 to 4 batches of different types in one go, I only have a limited number of big mixing bowls , so I'm always making one batch leaving to rest, start the next and so on.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

wulf

In another thread, I mentioned that I was busy today making a video on how I bake bread; the result is now available on YouTube for your viewing pleasure!

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

grahamhobbs

Nice to see the video, there must be hundreds of ways of making bread, I guess it's a matter of not getting hung up about it - its not difficult - just think how it used to be made in every home without modern gadgets, no weighing machines, clocks, thermostatically controlled ovens, etc.

The problem with recipes in books is that they tend to complicate matters and also assume that you have got all day to stand around the kitchen, a baker can but I can't.

For me, going to work everyday, I used to make it very quickly in the evening, but have since evolved a method that suits being out the house for 12hours a day and also sleeping for 8. It relies on very slow fermentation which also maximises the flavour.

I use minimal yeast (1/4teaspoon to 1000g flour) and cold water and leave to rise in a cold place. Depending on the time of year it will take 12, 18 or 24hours to rise (being slow, timing is not critical). Then its shape (gently), then by the time the oven is hot, popped into the oven, simple.

I use dried yeast, a small tin lasts for ages, is simple to keep and I've found no difference/advantage when I've used live yeast.
Regarding oven temperatures I think there is an advantage in putting the loaf into very hot oven and keeping it on maximum for 5 or so minutes and then turning it down to 200degC or thereabouts.

A&A
Tom Good
Tom Good

wulf wrote:In another thread, I mentioned that I was busy today making a video on how I bake bread; the result is now available on YouTube for your viewing pleasure!

Wulf
Great little video Wulf! I watched it all the way through so now I'm inspired to give the bread machine a holiday. One question: where did you get the spatula from? I looked around a couple of shops here yesterday but found nothing remotely similar.

Cheers
-Andy
Andy

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

grahamhobbs wrote:I use minimal yeast (1/4teaspoon to 1000g flour) and cold water and leave to rise in a cold place. Depending on the time of year it will take 12, 18 or 24hours to rise (being slow, timing is not critical). Then its shape (gently), then by the time the oven is hot, popped into the oven, simple.
I'll have to try this Graham, sounds interesting.
I am usually the opposite, I make a batch of 9 loaves at a time and try to pick a sunny day to do it.
Then it only takes about an hour to raise the dough in my nice warm conservatory.
The 9 loaves are in sequential batches of 3, so that way I can time them fairly precisely to make efficient use of my oven.
But one loaf raised overnight and ready to bake for Sunday breakfast sounds wonderful.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs

Odsox, give it a go the long fermentation really adds to the flavour. You might need to try a few times to get the right timing, handling, etc but I make some deliciious breads this way without the complications of pre-fermented doughs, poolish, etc.
You can put the dough in the fridge, which should give you more consistant timing as to when its risen. Unfortunately our fridge is small and there's never enough space in there, so I just leave it in the coldest place I can find which gives somewhat variable timings between summer and winter.
I know everyone likes to eat warm bread out of the oven, but actually it takes a time for the bread to develop its flavour.
With long fermentation (either by my simple method or through the use of a poolish, biga etc) the bread will not go stale as quickly as fast fermentated breads ( a little oil in the mix also helps).

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will try this at the weekend Graham.
I have a big enough fridge (if things are arranged a bit better) so any idea roughly how long a loaf would take at say 6c ?
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs

Odsox, I'm guessing but if you wanted it to rise in about 12 - 15 hours I would double the amount of yeast I use, say 1/2 teaspoon to 1000g flour. But this is a guess and you will need to experiment a bit to get the timing you want.
You know how to tell when its risen? When you start to see bubbles forming in the surface and when you can stick a floured finger in to the dough and the hole does not close up again.
Folding a couple of times during the fermentation helps with the structure of the dough and you will probably need just a light touch when shaping (I find a gentle folding again is best).
Long fermentations I think create certain sugars in the dough, the flavour of which are heightened by initial high temperatures when baking. I usually give about 8 mins at 260deg and then turn down to 230deg. This of course all depends on the size and type of loaf you bake, I find short, plump baguettes the best, suits our baking tray and gives maximum crust.
let me know how you get on

A&A
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it all. I do believe I've bought my last supermarket loaf. Having recently read "Not on the label", I've been put off completely & actually feel completely conned. Here's to learning the art of baking good bread!
Andy

wulf

A&A wrote:Great little video Wulf! I watched it all the way through so now I'm inspired to give the bread machine a holiday. One question: where did you get the spatula from? I looked around a couple of shops here yesterday but found nothing remotely similar.
I have to confess that I'm not sure - "Father Christmas" probably isn't a very useful answer!

Wulf

A&A
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmmm Ok - well it's that time of year so perhaps I'll just have to drop him a line ;)
Andy

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

A&A wrote:
wulf wrote:In another thread, I mentioned that I was busy today making a video on how I bake bread; the result is now available on YouTube for your viewing pleasure!

Wulf
Great little video Wulf! I watched it all the way through so now I'm inspired to give the bread machine a holiday. One question: where did you get the spatula from? I looked around a couple of shops here yesterday but found nothing remotely similar.

Cheers
-Andy
Andy,

You can get similar spatulas from most decent ferramente. Not with the cooking stuff, but in the glue departments. They come in different materials - metal for glue, plastic for resins, rubber for heavens-only-knows. The metal ones cost 40¢ in my local shop.

A&A
Tom Good
Tom Good

Grazie! Nice bit of lateral thinking there! I'll give it a whirl next time I'm out in town, thanks.
Andy

wulf

Presumably ferramente = ironmongers in English? Not that we've got so many of them left nowadays in the wake of the big chains!

Wulf

A&A
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes - kind of, although in true Italian fashion you can buy all kinds of stuff in there ;) Many, many small shops still survive out here (at least locally to us.) Greengrocers, bakers, small food stores etc. The supermarkets are making inroads but I think the Italians are just a little too picky with their food generally to accept mass-produced stuff. Even our local supermarket, which is pretty small by British standards, has locally-sourced salad/veg etc.
Andy