Natto Making at Home

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Natto Making at Home

Natto Making at Home
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Natto 14 December 2008 Natto Making at Home
A simple method of making Natto, fermented soil beans, which afre supposed to have beneficial nutritional effects. Eating is an acquired experience.

When in Japan several years ago, when asking how Natto was made, I got such as complicated response that I never tried. But I decided to give it a try recently and had success.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Natto Making at Home

Wow, you'd have to be very brave to make natto. pretty brave to eat it the first time (the second time is easy cos it's so yummy) but to make it, trust it and eat it is more than I would dare!

Good one! :pirate:

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

herbalholly wrote:Wow, you'd have to be very brave to make natto. pretty brave to eat it the first time (the second time is easy cos it's so yummy) but to make it, trust it and eat it is more than I would dare!
So what DOES it look/smell like? It must be pretty horrific if it's a matter of trust before consuming ......

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Durgan

jim wrote:
herbalholly wrote:Wow, you'd have to be very brave to make natto. pretty brave to eat it the first time (the second time is easy cos it's so yummy) but to make it, trust it and eat it is more than I would dare!
So what DOES it look/smell like? It must be pretty horrific if it's a matter of trust before consuming ......

Love and Peace
Jim
Natto consumption is an acquired taste. One doesn't eat it for the taste, but for the supposed health benefits. It was introduced to me in Japan, and the method of making was so complicated that I never tried until recently. The home product is equivalent to the product made in Japan. Taste is sort of benign, and has a bit of a yeasty smell. The cob web appearance probably turns off finicky eaters.

Soy beans are part of my daily diet. Now I simply pressure cook a pot full (4 cups of dried beans), blend to a homogeneous texture and store a 10 day supply in quart jars. A bowlful is eaten daily for breakfast. This I have been doing for about 40 years.

Processing Soy Beans.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HQSOJ 31 August 2009 Processing soy beans
Soy bean constitute a portion of my diet. Breakfast consists of a bowl of soy bans and a bowl of oats.

Soy beans are prepared for about a seven day supply for one person. Four cups dry beans are washed and cooked in a pressure cooker. Pressure cooker is used to minimize cooking time. If boiled on the stove, it takes about 6 hours to cook the beans. Soy beans never get mushy with cooking, just soft. Beans are removed from pressure cooker and water, and sugar added to taste, and boiled about five minutes to mix the contents. The beans are then blended to a fine consistency, and stored in quart jars and kept in the refrigerator. Beans will keep for about ten days. A bowl of beans with a bowl of oats is breakfast. This is low cost and nutritional.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Makes me feel really guilty about enjoying a good bacon buttie. I shouldn't (but I will :iconbiggrin: )

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Durgan

I eat to live, not live to eat. My weight is relatively constant, meaning I can tie my shoe laces bent over without the air being pushed from my lungs.

But I do enjoy a good feed periodically.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

jim wrote:

Love and Peace
Jim
Unlike Durgan I do eat natto for fun. It's super tasty. What does it look like? It looks like little white beans with a slightly slimey shine on them. That's fair enough...however, when you pick them up with your chop sticks (or fork or whatever) they leave behind a trail of very fine, stretchy, cob-webby, chewing-gummy-goop. In Japan the method here is to spin your chopsticks round and round quickly to wind up the strands and then you pop the bundle in your mouth. It's slimey and weird but pretty yummy. I think you might have to like marmite to like natto. Not that they taste the same but they're intensely savoury in a similar way. mmmm.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Herbalholly,

Marmite and I are not good friends so I think I'll give Natto a miss,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.