Home Remedies for PMT and Pains please!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Home Remedies for PMT and Pains please!

Okay it's official I have just turned into that scary shouty woman that used to live down the road from me when I was a kid!

I've got it bad girls, and I need a bit of worldly advice on get myself in check as I have been HIDEOUS to live with for the last couple of days, Hubby has said I've kept it together surprisingly well..but still anybody got any dietry tips, home remedies to help make this process a bit easier?

I have just restarted my periods after having had none since I fell with my eldest daughter nearly five years ago, I've stopped B/feeding the youngest...and there you go...but ow :sad4: ow ow, I don't remember having cramps this bad before, I was nearly doubled over trying to walk Daisy home in the snow from nursery, I've been on the verge of vomiting I'm feeling that crap and it's not good! :pukeright:

So I'm laid here with a hot bottie on my tum under the duvet feeling fustrated and sorry for myself, as these are going to c**p to put up with every month! (and no ladies no chance of another pregnancy...it's too much for the dodgy ticker to bear! :love9: )

So bearing in mind that I am on medication so herbal suppliments are only okay with the say so of the doc, how about it? Anybody been sitting on the golden ticket for period pains, and are just dying to share it with the rest of us? :notworthy: .....................................no I didn't think so! :lol: :lol:

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Home Remedies for PMT and Pains please!

Evening primrose oil capsules is about all I can think of, that, some chocolate and a big warm hug :grouphug:

Millymollymandy

Gosh be grateful you haven't had a period for 5 years, I get them approx every 3 weeks with 3 days of horrible pains to go with it! :banghead:

How did you get pregnant the 2nd time if you didn't have your periods? :scratch: I'm not much good at biology but I thought that was a necessity? :iconbiggrin:

I take painkillers and winge a lot. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not quite sure about the science behind that, but I did, I think that the contraceptive protection you get from breastfeeding weakens as your child gets older as they naturally need less milk from you.

I was feeding enough to keep the hormone levels up to stop the bleeding, but probably not enough to stop the ovulation - well that's the theory anyway! :mrgreen:
StripyPixieSocks wrote:I take painkillers and winge a lot.
:lol: :lol: That's how I'm feeling right now, and with an over excited 4 year old (yes already she's up before 6 EVERY morning to make sure it's not Christmas yet!!!! :santa: ) and another small who are busy doing their last few days of crafting to get their presents finished, my tolerance and patience is rather low to say the least! :angryfire: :lol:

Millymollymandy

Told you I wasn't much good at biology! :lol: I could say 'you'll get used to it again' but that isn't much comfort though I can imagine what a shock to the system it must be after 5 years! You can't even sit around doing nothing when you've got kids to look after. I have loads to do this weekend and have just started mine too so we can feel like cr*p together! :hugish:

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

:hugish: to you too MMM!

I keep convincing Daisy that she needs to give me lots of cuddles but she's being well stingy with them this morning so I think I'll have to take you up on the virtual ones :lol: :lol:

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

I used to use little electic patches that you stick on whatever part of your body is in pain and found them the best thing by far I had ever tried. Used to get them from the Natural Collection but they stopped doing them a couple of years ago and couldn't find them any where until this morning!
http://www.wellcene.co.uk/cgi-bin/loadp ... nease.html
Will be ordering mine forthwith. Phew!

Other than that, I use a warm wheat bag when I can (nice tucked in the front pocket thing of my hooded top, then secured with a snug jumper over the top when out and about). Yoga also works well for me particularly when I can motivate myself to start doing some acouple of days before I'm due on (which isn't often)!

Best wishes and good luck Jill xx

crowsashes

evening primrose oil is what i use, not sure if it works though :scratch: not noticed much difference, not sure what else there is, ill have to have a look through my books see what i can find as i need a bit more of a boost too!

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I suffer badly myself but I think not as bad as you, I can only offer what I do and its the simplist possible, hot bath with old fashioned salts in them, those sticky on heat pads you can buy for your back, I buy them to put on my tummy for the day and they do help..heat in general helps me :sunny:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

contadina

There's one herb that will help but its frowned upon by the police :dave:

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

contadina wrote:There's one herb that will help but its frowned upon by the police
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure it would improve my parenting skills either :lol: :lol:

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

you could stay pregnant! anything has to be better than pmt and cramps! and the getting there is fun! oh there is the usual for pmt - diet richs in omega 3 oils, cut out carbohydrates all together to regulate your blood sugars, no processed foods but non of this will stop the cramps - however, rigorous exercise helps women - and yoga so you shed the lining of your uterus more easily - it's a blinkin nuisance as we're not designed to menstruate but to be pregnant! when we have so few children our bodies go wrong when we have lots of children our bodies go wrong! hideous thought that female mammals are designed to have as many 'young' as possible and then die! only human female mammals live beyond reproductive years!

Millymollymandy

Rigourous excercise when you have period pains, where did you hear that? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do as little as possible because it is not physically possible to exercise when you have pain and I don't personally think it is sensible anyway.

Hopefully this is my last day of feeling grotsville - until the next time! :roll:

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi millymollymandy - the rigorous exercise works for a lot of women, hence why women carry on as normal - no matter what pain - it's all about contracting that uterus and shedding that lining sooner rather than later - my daughter, myself and several girl friends power walk away cramps in the same way I went for a vigorous walk when I was in labour and stayed up and about until i wanted to push - there are no muscle to pull just an expandable bag with a lining to get rid of - reduce salt to inhibit bloating, reduce calories to regular small meals to regulate blood sugar and frequent and vigorous exercise to keep beta-endorphins high. I run off pmt and it works well if I'm stressed too - exercise is often the cure to most modern ailments and remember women are not designed for menstruation but pregnancy - what works for some can often work for others and women can do anything and menstruate at the same time - (or you could take pain killers?)

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have to say I feel awful if I try to exercise, it makes me feel hot and sick when I'm on my period and for me personally I found it made the cramps worse...my mother used to make me exercise and I found it most unhelpful...hotwater bottle and painkillers are my best friend at this time :roll:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.