101 Uses for Plastic Shopping bags.

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: 101 Uses for Plastic Shopping bags.

Millymollymandy wrote:Noooooooo cos I've got way more than I need and they don't get thrown away!
:
Send them to me instead - supplies are getting very low here :roll:

One word of warning - do NOT use biodegradable ones to store stuff in on top of wardrobe. After a while little flakes of white stuff will start appearing on your floor and it'll take you ages to realise it is the bag, gently degrading and floating away :iconbiggrin:

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Useful for decorating.

If you're painting the walls with a roller you can line the paint tray with a carrier bag. When you've finished, remove the bag by carefully turning it inside-out, so that the left-over paint is inside it. Snip the corner off, and squirt it (a bit like an icing bag) back into the paint tin. Less waste, much less cleaning.

Whatever painting jobs you don't get finished and have to carry on the next day, you can make it quicker and easier by wrapping paint brushes and rollers in a plastic bag. That way they keep fresh and you don't need to wash them. Same goes for wallpaper paste brushes.

Also for wallpapering - line the bucket with a carrier bag (make sure there are no holes in it) before making the wallpaper paste. Again, when you've finished you can 'pipe' the excess paste into a jar for any touch-up jobs later on, and the bucket will be clean and not need washing. Or, if you don't finish the job on the first day, you can tie a knot in the top of the bag, or just fold it over to stop the paste drying out overnight.

I did wallpapering recently and searched high and low for a carrier bag, only to find I didn't have one that wasn't been used for something else. I'm really getting good at refusing them in the shops. :cheers: So although frustrated, I did feel rather smug. :mrgreen:
Rosey xx

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

boring old bin bags for me I'm afraid but am fascinated with the idea of crocheting them..any links anyone knows so that I can have a peep? :sunny:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Flo

Carrying stuff back from the allotment and taking compostable goodies to the allotment.

skinnimini
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I knitted a shopping bag. Actually it was charity bags, and it took eleven to make this.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's lovely - how did you do it?

Rosendula

Ooh that's a lovely idea. I might try crocheting one. The best I've done is cut an old, tatty, floaty square scarf into strips and crocheted them into a place mat.
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

Excellent! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

skinnimini
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

RuthG wrote:That's lovely - how did you do it?
Thank you.
I cut the bottom off the charity bag, then cut strips about one inch wide, all the way to the top. Discard the handles if there are any. You then have circles of plastic, join them together in a chain, that makes yarn, and knit them. I did the two sides seperately and used a crochet hook and more strips to join them together. I knitted long thin pieces for handles and attached them with a crochet hook. Beware check your bags first, that they are not biodegradable.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

That looks great. I saw some other bags and flip flops online the other day :)

Other uses -

Tied over the end of a loo brush or old style mop to use as a plunger

A plastic bag can be used to make putting on compression stockings so much easier.

To get old air lock bungs out of demijohns

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life