Squirrels?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Squirrels?

Any ideas for dealing with squirrels? The network of back gardens here plays host to a colony of at least three grey squirrels, which I think is more than it can really support. It was okay when there was just one, a couple of years ago, but over the last year we've observed a lot of damage, such as digging in recently planted beds and chewing on flowers and plant shoots.

Wulf

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Squirrels

Well there would be two methods really, one a little more humane than the other. The humane way would be to trap it and release it miles away the non-humane way would be to kill it either by shooting, trap or poison.

I personally would do the first in your situation, I found this link that may be of some help
http://www.trapman.co.uk/squirrel-traps.htm

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

squirrel soup?

(only joking)

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

wulf

The trouble with trapping them is what to do with them afterwards. A long car journey with a distressed rodent, then releasing it (and its germs) into a "foreign" area where it will probably either displace local wildlife or be torn to shreds / starved out by the natives (not to mention that I've a feeling releasing grey squirrels in the wild is illegal) :(

It's a shame the squirrels can't be persuaded to live off a diet of slugs and snails!

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is a link that you might find useful, http://groups.msn.com/OklahomaGardening ... 0628523338

tells you how to make your own pepper spray that you can use to repel them.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

wulf

We've tried a commercially produced pepper spray on the bird feeder with little success :( ... you also have to be careful spraying it, as it's very powerful when in tiny droplets! Not something to get in your eyes!

Actually, we have had one success in the battle against the furry fiends. The bird feeder is now in the middle of the garden at the top of a 6' pole, surrounded by a guttering downpipe. They can climb to the top but they can't hold in position and thus can't eat the nuts, which hang down next to the downpipe. :cheers:

Wulf

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Squirrels can be a big nuisance. As a child we lived in a big garden with lots of trees; I can recommend an alsation dog as a deterrent. He never actually caught one, but enjoyed trying. Years later, I lived for a few years in a caravan, and had a persistent squirrel that gnawed through the floor and raided the larder. Can't remember how I resolved that in the end, but I fear it may have involved rat poison.

The idea of trapping and releasing sounds good, but I believe that may be illegal, because squirrels are classified as a vermin - once you have caught one you are not allowed to release it back into the wild. Having said that, I think there are circumstances where 'civil disobedience' is in order - just don't be seen doing it.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

BTW, to save you having problems submitting loooooong links that muck up the page format, have a look at http://tinyurl.com/

You can embed it in some browsers, so you only need to click for a tiny url.
Stew

Ignorance is essential