Linux Mint

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Linux Mint

Just wanted to tell people about this - I've installed Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com. It's a linux version, based on Ubuntu but it works smoothly out of the box. I've got a fairly old computer now - 512 Mb RAM, etc. but it's smooth, quick to boot, easy to use.

I would definitely recommend it if you're thinking about an operating system switch.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Linux Mint

Given half a chance, I'd install Linux like a shot. However, I don't have the half chance - my internet service provider provides only Windows drivers for my router.

Check that yours DOES handle Linux before doing any swapping. If they do, you're laughing.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm dual booting Linux and Windows at the moment, but I bought my own router, it didn't even blink when I switched. If you think about it, the router just sits there and kicks out signal, so as long as Linux can recognise it, you're fine.

Worth trying is the Live CDs that most Linux instances now come with - you burn a CD with the image and then tell your computer to boot off that - it then runs as Linux without touching your native OS. Once you take out the live CD it reboots to your normal system. It's a bit slower, because it's running off CD though. You can then try out everything - including if your router will work with the Linux distribution.

Actually I find it pretty amazing - some of the distributions out there will boot from a USB stick, and save files back to the same stick. This means that you can effectively carry your computer round with you everywhere, and just boot from USB from any machine you come across. Smart stuff.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know, sometimes I could kick myself for being thick. My ISP is BT, and when I first thought about changing over to Linux, I contacted them about it and they told me they didn't do Linux drivers. End of story - no more thought. What you've said, Richie, has made me realise that they WEREN'T saying the router can't be driven by Linux - merely that they didn't supply them.

I shall rethink now.

Mind you, I have a pretty hefty investment in Windows software, so I'll have to make sure that there's a pretty good emulator out there somewhere.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

John Headstrong

http://www.winehq.org/ is a emulator for windows and does work for some software BUT

http://www.virtualbox.org/ is more than a emulator, you end up running a windows machine inside your linux machine, the only thing it cant do is play the high end games due to the graphics, other than that it runs just like a windows machine.

shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Ahhh it is defintely great to hear there are some people interested in Linux here. I've been running Ubuntu for almost 3 years except for the past 3 months. My other drive with Ubuntu suddenly died on me. Well actually I'm dual booting with Windows. Probably gonna get a new drive by mid of this month and get back to Linux. :icon_smile: