Dentures Imminent!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Dentures Imminent!

Are your bottom teeth OK? As for the horror story we are waiting to see how our guinea pig gets on before considering the idea! :wink: So far I'm all for hanging on to my teeth :iconbiggrin: , well most of them are OK most of the time, it's only a few dodgy ones that just happen to be where I need them for chewing. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Susie

spider8 wrote: Oooooh - cloves and brandy Suzie - hopefully not together :pukeright: .
Shall we invent a new cocktail? The Toothache.

Glad you're getting through it!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

spider8

My bottom teeth are okay - quickly looks for nearest wood to tap! I know there are at least 2 that will need attention sometime in the next 12 months but after being through this - pah! easy-peasy :bs:
I found a site in the USA called 'Denture Adventures' and it's wonderful, honestly it is. Not for the fainthearted and can scare the pants off you :shock: but if you're the sort to want to know what'll happen rather than live in blissful ignorance then do register and have a look. They have been so helpful, honest and I'm so glad I found them :notworthy:
Gums are feeling nasty and sore but a few sprays of Chloreseptic works wonders and yes, I know it's for sore throats but as it numbs things it gives you a couple of pain-free hours. Just be sure to follow the general guidelines and if, like myself, you are still in the early stages and haven't had the plate 'sorted' yet, it is a big help until you do get them shaped etc. And before anybody jumps down my throat (ehem!) for using something it's not sold to be used for - just have this pain for an hour and you'll be :blob4: off the walls!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

spider8

Not had a good time of it lately with denture rubbing and face still feeling bruised. One ulcer was caused by a piece of loose bone having been grown-over by the sore but that piece came out today and it feels much better now. Just have to keep filling my mouth with ulcer numbing gels, fixative and doing all the cleaning routine and keep taking the painkillers. Still can't eat most things but I have managed to eat a favourite meal of mine albeit without any meat........Chinese curry sauce AND CHIPS :wav:

Millymollymandy

It sounds a bit crazy - is this normal? I'm sure I've never heard of anyone else going through so much hell. :scratch: Must admit I was under the impression you let your gums heal up first before they do a final fit for dentures and that you have temp ones in the meantime.

Anyway I'm really sorry you are having so much pain and horridness, I bet you are wondering why you bothered. :hugish: :hugish: :hugish:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Millymollymandy wrote:.... Must admit I was under the impression you let your gums heal up first before they do a final fit for dentures and that you have temp ones in the meantime.
..:
Not in my experience - they do the mold pattern before extraction, make them, and put them straight in after extraction, a temporary denture would make the whole thing twice the price. The swelling caused by the extractions is the thing to 'live through' . you could let all heal first, but then you'd still have to live through the 'bedding in' process, better to get it all over at once IMO
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

spider8

It's like most medical procedures, some people have no problems, others take a while to get it sorted. Reading the postings on Denture Adventures is very interesting and people have 'been there - done that' to a greater and lesser degree and can give you all the info you'll ever need. Just get through the first few weeks and re-adjust.
I'm glad I did it and happy with having the denture straight away as you can get used to it and adjust initially until you get the hard lining a few months down the line when everything is settled. Plus having something there to protect your healing gums is good, especially at night when you could 'chomp' on them in your sleep and do damage - no thanks! Temp ones must be okay too as both ways are used still but it probably comes down to cost for both the dental practice and customer in the end.
And no, I'm glad I did it as this is nothing compaired to having 9 bad teeth all chucking out pain together. There's another reason for getting it sorted once and for all..........the misery you put close family and friends through, being snappy and generally unhappy due to constant pain and worry from bad teeth and if you think they don't notice - dream on ha! My Dave has noticed the difference already and I can smile properly now too :laughing6:
I'm enjoying being able to eat more foods each day, much better than it being the other way around as with having rotten teeth.
Snapdragon, wish I'd had done it years ago.......all that money and pain for nothing!

Susie

spider8 wrote:One ulcer was caused by a piece of loose bone having been grown-over by the sore but that piece came out today and it feels much better now.
That happened to me when I had a tooth out as well. Mine also took absolutely forever to heal (extractions and multiple fillings/ root canals) - I was in some kind of pain (but completely bearable pain towards the end) for months - but then it sorted itself out and I've been absolutely fine since. You've done the right thing and you'll feel great again soon! Also well done for getting it over with in the crap part of the year, now you'll feel good for summer :sunny:

(And yes bad teeth do wear you down - my partner has some kind of genetic gum problem & consequent tooth issues - I'm sure he'd agree!)
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

All your stories are really scaring me. I'm not having any dentures yet or any of my teeth being removed but I will have a point in time when I will. Also I've had this tooth cavity problem with my right top molar. Fillings worked for a while. But it seems the problem goes deeper. I dread that day on my next visit to my dentist and he'll say he might have to pull it out. :(

spider8

He will probably suggest a root canal then crowning the tooth rather than just pull it out. That would be better for you (and can keep the tooth) but expensive, extraction would be way too cheap for his liking! Don't be scared, these thingas happen to us all at sometime or other and dentistry has moved on so much............now if it was back in the 50's and 60's I'd hate to think about how awful it was then :shock: .

spider8

Things are making real progress..........no more pain in the face from that bruised feeling and gum wounds heve healed nicely. Only problem to sort out is the rubbing of the denture on the sides of my gums, been using Anbesol (adult strength) which is good and lots of fixative to help cushion things. The only problem with fixative overload is it seeps down the front of the denture sometimes and sticks the inside of my lips to the front of the denture - weird feeling and not a very nice look - pink teeth :lol: . Have an appointment to see my dentist on Monday 15th when he's back from his long holiday and he can get sorting things out :iconbiggrin: .

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The only problem with fixative overload is it seeps down the front of the denture sometimes and sticks the inside of my lips to the front of the denture - weird feeling and not a very nice look - pink teeth :lol: .
Thanks spider8 - we've been busy putting up battens and plasterboard all morning. Just stopped for lunch and a quick look-in. So I'm knackered and grumpy and your last post made me howl with laughter. so I'm cheered up enough to go and do the next stint. :lol:

Glad things are settling down for you.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

spider8

Thanks Green Aura...........you could have used denture fixative to put up the plasterboard - it'd never shift :lol: .

Millymollymandy

Glad it's starting to heal up a bit and feel better. :hugish:

Milims

I haven't read this thread - it sounds much to scary :pale: :shaking: I hate dentists! I was once shouted at in the middle of treatment and so only go back when I'm really desperate! Hope all is going well for you now tho :flower:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!