Recycling Ideas ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Answer to points raised

Thank you for your points raised.
Which I Will try to answer in a simple way.
(1) How do I intend to feed the starving?(By me doing something) apart from talking and puting money in to a charity box.
(2) How do I intend to save lives?(By me offering my idea for free) to those poor people who have nothing apart from what they stand up in.
(3) How do I intend to do this?(By some one hopefully travelling to the countries where the poor people are)showing them how to make my simple system after they have seen it on my website.
(4) How do I intend to convince people?(By not giving up)on telling people who want to know,there is a different way to grow food to eat,to add to the way things are grown now.
(5) How do I intend to stop waste plastic containers for example,going it to landfill sites(By giving them to the poor people in the world)who will use them in some way over and over again until they have no more practical use.
(6) How do I intend to send some of our waste plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets to where they can be used?(By making it part of our world aid programme)to add to what's already being done by governments and charities.
(7) How do I intend to do this?(By hopefully finding some one) who does not talk a lot of rubbish,but deals with it in a big way.
What I want to do I can not do on my own,that's why I'm asking for all the help I can get. If I can save one life it's got to be worth it. John JRP.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
designed by me to help to save millions of lives
and to reuse-recycle millions of tonnes of waste
plastic container,and unwanted wooden pallets
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Bird scarer idea.

My ideas on how to re-use plastic containers of many shapes and sizes to scare birds away,if you are trying to protect your crops.
To do this you can use any plastic container with a screw on cap,this is used as a pivoting device,putting into or through canes of different length and sizes. Which I will now tell you how to do,to add to what's already being made by gardeners now to scare birds away.
(1) First choose your plastic container whith a screw on cap.
(2) Then you decide what type of pivoting device you want to make for example. One that pivots in a upright position all the time or one that varies on turning. My basic one to make is a container with it's bottom cut completely off,with 4 or 8 holes made in it 2 on each side in a straight line,big enough for your bean cane ends to pass through. Made with a pointed tool of some sort,for example a phillips screwdriver. Putting the cane end through first at the thinner end till you have the length you want sticking out on each side of your container. You do this 2 or 4 times ending up with what looks like a aerial device,when it's put on top of another garden bean cane with the fatter end stuck in the ground. You should now have your pivoting device spinning on top of your cane in contact with inside of your container cap,and in-between the 2 or 4 sections of wood you can see from the bottom,forming a trap area so that the pivoting device does not come off in high winds.
(3) The next thing to do is to decide what you are going to have hanging from your cane arms sticking out from your pivoting container device. Such as a number of containers tied in rows done so they bang together or they can be made from cans or containers will do the same thing. The cans have string tied to the ring pull bit or the containers have a hole made in the middle of the screw on cap,to then have a length of string passed through it,with a large knot at one end to stop it pulling through. Also tied on in rows or you can use a old plastic shopping bag cut in half to act like a flag does in the wind. Cutting lots of strips in each bag section first to make even more noise in the wind ,and movement.
(4) If you want to protect higher and lower crops at the same time on each turn,just simply make your holes in the containers at the angle that you need,instead of straight across. Remembering that you must have all your cane at equal distance apart on each side of your container so that it does not bang against the wood on the inside of your container,which of course will happen a bit when the wind trys to pass your long or short arms of cane with what ever you have hanging down from them,remembering to protect your self from the cane ends by putting something like another container or can over them to stop you from poking your eyes out.
My pivoting container device can be also used at any height and it should work in the slightist of winds too. Which all my many pivoting containers did,when I covered my whole allotment plot area with them,to show other what I made they could make too.
If you have any troubles making my bird scarer please post here. I will try to put some photo proof of what I have made in the past on to my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,even though I don't need them my self. John. JRP.
Message from J.R.P. Recycling, please visit my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com as it was
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

My Transportable recycling system works?

A Message to those who want to know ?
The reason why I bother to re-use recycle plastic containers and wooden pallets are,about 10 years ago I decided to re-use my rubbish to make things as a inventor for proto types,which I have a filed patent for,but I can't afford to take it any further. So I decided to invent something which any one can make,to help reduce waste plastic containers of all shapes and sizes going into landfill sites,along with unwanted wooden pallets too,which are thrown away every day,which the Government backs and the borough Council do too if there is money involved.
But because my ideas are new,and there is no money involved I'm stuggling to get people to use them,even though my main aim is to help save lives,not in this country so much but in the third world. Which if you have read any thing about me is what I'm trying to do in different ways,growing food to eat is just one way that works for me,which I thought I would share with the rest of the world,which money can't buy,as I'm offering it for free to any one who wants to make my simple transportable system,whether it's in the UK or any where else,as it's made from rubbish.
The simple consept of my transportable system is,rows of plastic milk containers on a carrying support made from wood,which is passed through the handle space of each container which are all upside down and cut round the bottom faceing away from each other on oppsite sides,4 containers being the smallist amount to self stand,10 being the amount I use as my base main container. In to them you can put,the same size container again with some compost in or a smaller cut milk container with a bottomless clear plastic bottle inside that,which you put compost or soil in, and what ever you decide to grow.
At this point I would like to say to you all. What you see in the way of photo proof on my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com ,I have grown and eaten with my family and friends,which I've also grown with very little gardening knowledge my self. So if I can feed my self any one can.
I say to you all please don't knock something until you have at least tried it out,remembering if you do decide to stop the way I do things,it can all be carried away and recycled again. I hope this message has made the picture clearer for you. If we all do our bit it will make a difference to our world. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rubbish going into landfill sites?

The only way I believe you will ever stop most of our rubbish going into landfill sites,is to involve money. Be it on how much you recycle on a small or large scale your self. Which would mean instead of us paying for our recyclable rubbish to be taken away,we would get some money back. Like they did years ago on glass bottles as they were of value,because they can be cleaned and re-used again and again until they get broken,unlike a plastic bottle which was made to last for years.
With this in mined if we don't stop it now,it will mean for example starting from today. If I bought say one plastic container which was biodegradable and it took 1 year to decompose,and I did this every day for 365 days adding one day to my 365 which my first one would take to decompose. Now mulitply that by millions each day,and then add the first 365 years onto,to days plastic container. I think you will agree with me that we are wasting our time on this earth if we don't do something now,in what ever way we can. If ever a bomb was dropped on our landfill sites it would burn so much it would turn our sky black and the air to poison. Which could happen. John. JRP.
Last edited by john on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too.

Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular

Interesting ideas, John. I try to avoid buying items in plastic containers when I can as glass, etc is more easily recyclable. But the local council will now recycle certain types of plastic.

Plastic bottles are good recycled as mini cloches, too, aren't they. We use them on our allotment.

Not everybody will agree with your approach, but good for you for thinking and talking about it.

realwildchild
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

The local council, who we rent our allotments from, would see our using plastic bottles as against the terms of our lease. The last year has seen plotholders receive letters with many new rules regarding our plots and items that can be used on them. Even coldframes and greenhouses have to be made from certain 'allowed' materials now :roll:

What I have seen of your site looks very interesting, John, but it takes a long time to download (I don't have broadband) so I have only seen a small amount of it. Good luck.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Allotment plot.

Hi Realwildchild. The reason I was allowed to have my allotment plot covered in wooden pallets and plastic containers too was. I told my Greenwich Council Parks and Open Spaces people in writing first what my recycling project involved when I took over a overgrown plot which no one else wanted. I keep copies of all my letters I write just in case, say someone new takes over and trys to say that I did not get approval to do things the way I do. Which I had to do when other allotment plot holders of age tried to get me off my plot when I first started,because they did not like what I was doing,to the point of telling me that they wanted me off my plot to my face,and they did things to my plot too. Such as damaging my information boards and my crops too. Now they know I,m not going any where as I've got permission they leave me alone to enjoy my way of gardening. Which I'm sure you can do too if you ask first,they can only say no,and give you the reason why. Then it would be up to you whether you fight for the right to do what you want to providing you are not coursing a nuisance to others and pay to rent your plot. May I suggest if you do decide to do thing the way I do, that you pick a plot that's not next to any one else as you too may be put off by others, even if you do it on a small scale say without using pallets as decking. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm ON TV.

:lol: GOOD NEWS?
SEE ME JRP. RECYCLING ON TV BBC2 AT 1-30pm 13-4-2005 ( WORKING LUNCH ) PROGRAMME.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good News,I'm going to be on SKY TV in the future.

After me being on BBC 2 just by chance,I'm now going to be on SKY TV in the future as part of a documentary,all about suburban Gardening,after already being interviewed and filmed too the other day by the SKY programme makers. I'm also hopeing to be filmed again at Greenwich Park SE 10 on the 5-June 2005,where I will be exhibiting my very simple to make transportable recycling system off as part of a event celebrating World Environment Day. Which is also part of the London Green Lifestyle Show. Which I think will be a great day for all involved,and for those who come to see the exhibitions,produce and entertainment too. Why not come and say hello to me and see my system on a smaller scale which I CAN? YOU CAN? make too if your interested in re-using rubbish and saving lives too,like me. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

My website looks better now?

:mrgreen: To every one who has visited my website www.recycling.moonfruit.com in the past,I have changed a few things to make it look better,I hope you agree. John.JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Helping to make poverty history?

8) Hi every one who knows about me,now is the time to tell the world on my behalf that there is a system that works,which can help in the fight against world poverty. To those who think I'm wasting my time on trying to save lives and reduce waste too,you are very much in the minority,as there are far more people who do care about others,who want to do their bit to help make poverty history in some way,like Sir Bob Geldof for example he is just one person out of thousands who won't give up like me,no matter what you say,if we can save just one life,it's got to be worth it. To those who would like to know,I will be on TV again on the 6 January 2006 SKY one. It's all about the Secret Life of Suburbia made by Shine TV for SKY TV. Filmed in June this year 2005. John. JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another month gone by?

:( Hi every one who would like to know what I've been doing since I last posted. I've been showing some old folk the way I grow things with the help of AGE CONCERN on a voluntary basis,with 5 more community complex association to visit in the ELTHAM London area SE9, which I hope will help spread the word about the way I re-use plastic containers and unwanted wooden pallets to grow things.
I've also been harvesting my peas,broad beans,runner beans,french beans,potatoes,lettuces,and my strawberries to name a few,with still lots more crops to pick,for example 150 tomato plants in 3 sections on my half plot,which are Money Maker,Ailsa Craige,and Garden Delight,which are now getting plenty of water they need due to the rain we are having,which does not stop me from onto my plot because nothing is grown in the ground.
That's why I can carry 5 rows of my containers with their crops in with me to show every one in the boot of my car,to then put them back where they have come from at the end of the day,after they have been exhibited in doors or out side to show just how much you can grow in such a small space if you want to.
By the way has any body tried my way of growing things yet? John JRP.
too.

john
Living the good life
Living the good life

TREE TOP FARMING.

:mrgreen: I've just put forward my ideas on how I would use my system of growing things to start tree top farming in CANADA. As I have a e-mail friend called George who is interested in doing so,as he lives surrounded by forest with no room to grow things in the ground,because of the roots and not a lot of light getting to the lower area in-between the trees,plus the cold weather conditions are a big problem too,but he is going to try my way of doing things,as I grow nothing in the ground it's self. Which could also help the people living in the rain forest too,where they are cutting down thousands of trees so they can grow things to eat,and for other things too. With this in mind I'm now going to tell you what I told George, as you might find it of interest to you,even though I'm sure I will be taken as a fool by those who don't like the way I re-use waste plastic containers and wood now,to be of benefit to those who might use my simple transportable system to help feed themselves,for free. What I said.
My decking is your platform covered completely in rows of waste plastic containers,even a poly tunnel system covering the crops would protect them from the snow and the cold winds. I'm sure once the first platform is made up high using block and tackle,and a lot of ropes,you will then go on to link up other tree top platforms areas to each other by the way of walk ways,so you can do things without coming down. What I suggest you do first is to make a small version of what your tree top farm is going to be like,simply done by finding a young tree to work on,or more to represent the way your going to have to do things on a small scale first, before trying to do it on a larger scale up high. For example either laying out your containers on a trunk area you have cut off,or extending it by laying very long lengths of wood down on top of your tree trunk first,which ever way you will feel is safer,remembering the bigger the space the more you can grow. Making a log cabin serves a purpose made from wood,making a tree top farming system from wood will serve even a better purpose.
The main benefits of my system if used,is you don't have to cut down any trees,only the top part is removed which allows the tree to keep on growing,leaving outer branches all the way round your platform to protect you from the wind. You can also use solar power,wind power if you want too,you can also save water in many ways to make your self even more selfsufficientish.
The only down side would be if there was a forest fire,but if we are talking very wide tree trunks,I'm sure all would not be lost to start again. Plus you could already have a helicopter landing platform made in the same way to help in a rescue situation of for other things. Plus you will only need a sharp knife once you are set up to do things,like I do now. Even re-using the same compost over and over again will give you a crop. There's a thought a tree top allotment plot, but never in the UK. John. JRP.
too.

Millymollymandy

How would you water all those pots high up in the trees?

Your methods are very admirable but for people living outside of countries/areas where it rains all the time, it means more and more watering which is expensive, time consuming and very, very tiring. I have been living in a drought situation since beginning of June and I am so tired of it all.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Re: TREE TOP FARMING.

John wrote:I've just put forward my ideas on how I would use my system of growing things to start tree top farming
John, you're great fun and daft as a brush. Can I suggest a couple of new projects for you:

1) Indoor farming - for the millions of poor, disenfranchised people the world over who don't have access to land.

2) Underwater allotments - for the millions of poor, disenfranchised people the world over who don't have access to land, but live by the sea.
Stew

Ignorance is essential