Petrol Prices

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Petrol Prices

contadino wrote:
It's up to you to get yourself ready for it.

Too true. I read that an oil crunch is expected as early as 2014 when demand is estimated to outstrip supply. Peak oil would follow in 2020. For perspective on the size of the problem they said we'd need six more Saudi Arabias just to keep up.

Keaniebean

I don't have anything particularly constructive to say as I'm not really able to understand the ins and out of the economy, but I do work in the petrol station at a sainsburys. Until December we were getting our Fuel from BP anyway Pelmet man, so while it's great to say boycott these bigger companies, you will probably find that the majority of Fuel that is supplied to the likes of supermarkets comes from those suppliers anyway :( .

The abililty for us to have fuel is seen as a right, whereas in effect we have no right at all to this, we are simply lucky to have had it on supply for so long. The simple fact of the matter that as a species we seem to want to destroy rather than create and it wont be until it is no longer avaliable at all that the majority rather than minority actually sit up and take notice and only then will something be done about it.

Our governments only seem willing to make the right noises every now and again but little action is being taken or at least not enough so we must prepare as best as possible and do what we can to make our lives greener and cleaner. I do realise I am preaching to the converted by the way. :icon_smile: :wink: :wave:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

The UK has already hit peak oil - I can't remember the exact date, and lots of other countries too - and given that the world is about to hit it, things in the world of oil, petrol and cars are going to change hugely in the next 5-10 years. Definitely best to start weaning yourself off reliance on a car now, if at all possible, then you'll be ahead of the game.

Therefore, instead of joining fuel protests, start thinking of innovative ways to reduce your reliance on petrol - from ditching your car to growing food.

http://peakoil.org.uk/ is a good UK-based peak oil resource.
Liz

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is it not reasonable to assume that if you are a member of this forum you are more than likely committed to the principles of reduction of consumption... but are also in some sort of 'ish' state and thus contiune to have some connection with mainstream life thus whilst I do my best to reduce my impacts,. grow my own drive less, drive more economically, make brew my own etc etc etc, I still currently need my car to get to work because I'm only ish and not there yet... thus fuel prices are of interest and therfore in some way worthy of discussion, and any action possible.

I do my best to support my local, rural petrol stations because they are not only a lifeline within the community but they also provide local goods in local stores.... hmm that sounds quite good too, so whilst the petrols tation is aprt of the evil, it's also part of the good stuff..... Nothing is black and white, and don't forget there is not enough space in the world for us all to go completely self sufficient...

I'll get off the fence now :salute:

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

TBH, it wouldn't matter whether this was a scone-making forum. Moaning about petrol prices is daft. Even with your head in the sand, you can't seriously expect cheap oil to continue forever, and it's not going to matter whether you're a paid-up member of the consumer society or an environmentalist, as Peak Oil affects everyone. Consumer, 'ish', or close to self-sufficient, it makes no difference.

So you think you need cheap petrol to drive around earning an income? I need fuel to run a chainsaw otherwise my trees will become unproductive, and I'll freeze to death in winter. What's the difference?

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

rising oil prices are incentives for further development and use of renewable energy.

pelmetman

Thank you for the link to peak oil by wikepidia, I have to say it seems well written and balanced, and I have read it with a open mind (Sue would say vacant ) I see that this is a extremely complicated question, I doubt we will find out that we have reached peak oil for many years after it has happened, as there are so many varibles that I doubt even the most experianced can muster a near estimate. :study: Still reading the links though, not sure about the chap that thinks it will regenerate :roll: It will eventually I suspect at the usual rate of several million years but I doubt I will be here to notice :lol:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy