Fed up of being a virus magnet

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fed up of being a virus magnet

This is going to be a rant, apologies in advance (and before I start, I know it's a really small health problem in the scheme of things - I know I need to get over myself! I will do! :lol: )

Up till last august or so I was tied up with a really, really stressful job which I'd been doing (in its most stressful form) for about four years. And when I say stressful, I really, really mean it :( . And in all those four years I had hardly a day's illness. Hardly a day. I think I had a cold for a day once. I lived on coffee and adrenaline and I looked like Gollum, but I was never actually ill. Literally the minute I decided to hand my notice in I got sick and I've been sick on and off ever since, only with viruses, but one thing after another! All the time! Colds, stomach viruses, the Sinus Infection From Hell, at least one new thing every three weeks, some things that last for months etc etc. I'm not stressed any more and psychologically I feel great, so I want to be doing things, not sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and blowing my nose every two minutes and developing a strepsil addiction. I'm eating a healthy diet, taking a multivitamin, getting outside exercise etc.

Is it just a really bad winter for colds/ viruses/ general misery do you think? Is there anything I can do to build up my immune system? (And I know I shouldn't be watching Jeremy Kyle because it's horrible and exploitative, please don't tell me off, I'm not feeling very well! :icon_smile: )
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Fed up of being a virus magnet

First and foremost - you must stop watching Jeremy Kyle. I'm sure watching him must be bad for your health :lol:

The body gets really drained when you're living on your nerves - along with coffee, probably eating on the go and all the other things that go with many jobs these days. So it can take a good while to get your reserves back up.

I'd get a really good multi-vit and mineral supplement - you won't need to take it for ever, just to give a bit of a boost. Make sure you're diet is as colourful and varied as possible - organic if you can afford. Lot's of alliums, and green veg.

Echinacea tea is a good immune booster and any essential oils you may have (all are antiseptic to some extent) use as room fresheners.

Go out for walks to get some fresh air.

And get plenty of rest in between (without the assistance of JK :lol: )

You probably knew all that but sometimes it just needs pointing out.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Rosendula

I'm interested in other people's answers to this because I feel the same: flu that lasted forever and then one cold after another, and yet I feel happier than I ever have in my life and have a better diet, fresh air and exercize, the lot :dontknow: That said, yes I do think it's just been a bad year for it. I've noticed on Facebook other people have been complaining about one illness after another. What's going on here?

I will take note of Green Aura's answer which came through while I was typing - cut down on coffee is something that's been on my 'to do list' for a very long time, so I'll get some Echinacea tea as a substitute

Oh, and on the Jeremy Kyle thing - I try not to watch it but my daughter watches it a lot while I'm in the room. I actually can't stand the programme. However, as I am subjected to it, I think perhaps there may indeed be a link :shock:
Rosey xx

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmmmm, theres a running joke in our household, that I secretly slip into my velour tracksuit when DH goes to work and settle down in front of JK for the day :lol: l!!

DH also suffers from these extended bouts of illness when he stops working (he has a very physical job), we try to do all the things that GA has said, and rest easy that we know he'll start to feel a bit brighter eventually - It is fustrating as it always seems to happen whenever we are trying to get things done but there you go.... :dontknow:

We feel like his body makes him ill to actually stop him from doing things, as he's sooooo busy all the time :roll:

Lorna x

crowsashes

ive been feeling much the same, and now have a hive type rash too boot, all through stress and illness .

funny thing is my 'job' isnt stressful and that only leaves one thing ( the man shape )

the one thing thats really helping at the moment is to disconnect. sounds strange i know, but taking much more time away from the tv ( i freecycled it and wow does it feel good ) , getting rid of the mobile phone ( or turning it off) make you feel less in demand and much more easily to relax, not sitting on the internet for hours on end ( there was an article recently that too much time on the web can cause cause/aggravate depression) .

another thing im currently trying out is a forced sleep routine just like my son has, food, bath, bed! im waking up much more refreshed and feel like i could tackle this 'illness' better.

a couple of reliable methods of beating a cold flu etc that i use are a multivitamin + minerals, an omega 3 + 6 oil supplement, garlic, im putting it in everything at the mo and honey. feel better than i did at xmas so it must be working.

Susie

Thank you everybody for helpful advice! I'm sorry other people are suffering too but I'm glad I'm not the only one :hugish: . I think as soon as my nose stops running enough that I don't frighten small children I'm going to go out and get vitamins, echinacea tea, etc. Crowsashes those are interesting points about disconnecting and having a routine because those are things that tend to slip when I'm run down, I'll keep an eye on that.
Hmmmm, theres a running joke in our household, that I secretly slip into my velour tracksuit when DH goes to work and settle down in front of JK for the day :lol: l!!
And I'm really ashamed to say that I was indeed wearing velour tracky bottoms while watching it! :oops: I have decided this is my lowest point and I will start feeling better from here on in...
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Silver Ether

There is another poss reason for being the catcher of all ... while in your "stressful job" your mind takes over and keeps pushing any illness that may be lurking to the back of you mind... You know the expression used by lots of wives/mums/ ladies who have to juggle ... "to busy to be sick" its not compleatly wrong; ask teachers, they keep going all term an then are ill during the hoilidays ...

hope your all feeling better. :flower:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

olive leaf and elderberry, as extract or natural material are antiviral as is lemon balm and to an extent oregano. Garlic (crushed and oxidized) is also powerfully helpful.
You can buy zambucol (elderberry extract) and me favorite way to take olive leaf is whizzed in a clean coffee grinder to a powder then mixed with an even amount of green tea to make a pot.
Lemon balm is pleasant by itself as a tea and garlic and oregano are easy to enter into everyday meals. :salute:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

At one point I've had something similar to this case. Usually happens when I get out of the shower and I catch a cold. Then my whole day is just ruined since the cold doesn't go away until lunch time or even later in the afternoon. Then I get too drowsy at work after having downed 2-3 cold tablets. This happens a lot every week. Allergies perhaps? I really don't know. I seem to have gotten over this now. They rarely occur anymore.

citizentwiglet

I can sympathise (apart from the watching of Jeremy Kyle, that is...). I, too, have had more viruses in the past few months than I've had for about 10 years, I swear. Just get rid of one, and another comes.
I've put it down to the fact that Sprog Number One started nursery in August and has brought back some smashing 'gifts' from his new friends to divide equally amongst us all. Honestly, the weans I have have permanently snotty noses and sore throats these days (and I refuse to believe it is my dusting ability / inability to blame)........
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had the same issue after quitting the stressful job. A few awesome home remedies that some baulk at but here they are.

Home made elderberry cordial - The best hot drink when you have any sort of cold. Apparently its full of vitamin C and it really just makes me feel better. Careful when you make it though. Most recipies say you can brew the stalks but only the first inch or so, any of the more woody stuff if slightly poisonous and I have had to throw away a gallon of the stuff after taste testing it and being left with a very tannin-like after taste. (It will not kill you, just makes you feel a bit grotty which will not help the cold!)

Fresh garlic and ginger tea - More of an infusion I suppose but very simple, chop fresh garlic and ginger, throw into a mug and add boiling water. Brew to taste. This one depends on whether you are a fan of garlic and ginger (which I am) but it doesnt fail to stave off a cold if I feel one looming. Obviously its not a cure all but full of useful vitamins and both known to boost the immune system.

Steam your face off - Particularly good with sinus issues - Bowl of hot water, towel and a strongish smelling herb. I find mint, lemon balm, rosemary or lavender work well. Stick your head under the towel over the bowl containing herb of your choice and enjoy for ten mins. Clears out my airways wonderfully.

Even if they dont actually make you get well quicker, they make the whole being ill process a lot easier (though wish I had known about them when I got a cold, laryngitis, phlaryngitis and meningitis in one winter!! that was a long one).

Gemx

Alienor60
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Do you ever consider a house dust mite allergy, when you have a never-ending cold?
The last two months I was suffering from a bad sinusitis - I thought/my GP confirmed it and gave me lots of AB, but it is a dust mite allergy. I got a new prescription and changed all the things in my bedroom (encasings for the mattress, the comforter and the pillow) and I'm feeling like born again....
Here in Germany more than 10% of the people have this allergy, but only the half knows about it....
And yes, it's normal to have a breakdown after a very stressful time in your life.
Get a lot of naps, long walks in nature and fresh air and enjoy real and organic food. :flower:
All the best, Marianne

Susie

Gem wrote:I had the same issue after quitting the stressful job. A few awesome home remedies that some baulk at but here they are.
I am now on another sinus infection after flu, and I will baulk at nothing :wink: . Thank you, these are really helpful. We have a nice big elderflower tree in our garden and I can't wait to have a go at making my own cordial this summer. And we have loads of rosemary and lavender, I hadn't thought of steaming with it, I'll have a go. (And Alienor60, you are right. I do have a dust allergy, and I've noticed it's been worse recently than it normally is, so that could well be some of the problem.)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If I'd known I was going to be ill for a year after I left, I'd have quit that job sooner! I feel like a terrible object lesson in the effects of stress on the immune system! I thought I was coping so well since I'd not actually gone mad or strangled anyone, but it turns out the flesh is weaker than I thought it was :dontknow: Never mind, at least it's Spring now, and perhaps I've had so many colds/ flu this year I'm innoculated against them for the next decade? :lol:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Keaniebean

Glad your feeling more like you can handle these viruses now Susie, we seem to be the same in our house this winter. Just running straight from one thing into another, it gets on top of you sometimes.

I keep wishing we could win a few million on the lottery :roll: but we dont even play. I only want enough to buy a field in the middle of nowhere and live in a yurt! :lol: so I can get away from the daily grind and bat out of hell attitude of london.

I have to also say :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: to Crowsashes for freecycling the TV. I would love to, I managed to stop the inlaws buying us some monsterous flatscreen for us for Christmas, but i didn't get in quick enough to stop them buying the Wii for the kids :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . It may sound ungrateful I know but it is just one fight after another with three kids all wanting to play different games at the same time. i would have prefered for them to be taken out somewhere, the theatre or something as that is something we simply cant afford to do, and they would have remembered it for life. Sorry I digress.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.