Grumpy Gardener says hello

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Grumpy Gardener says hello

Hi and welcome to Ish :sunny:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the world of veg growing, I've been doing it badly :( for a few years now, but it gets quite addictive :lol:
You don't say which part of the country your in? As that could help with some of the advice your given.
I would go along with everyone else start slow, and grow in pots or containers to start with while you prepare to tackle the main plot, but there is loads of advice on here plus read as much as you can about designing your plot to make the best use of it.
I hope when you start digging you don't have the problem we discovered when we moved here. What we thought was a virgin plot turned out to be grass laid on 3" of top soil under which is 8" of hardcore :banghead:
We later found out the house was built on a former lorry park :angryfire:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

ragewarrior
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Im from the UK.

We have decided to grow the vegetables in containers, rather than the manual digging part. Will these present any problems with tomato's, dwarf beans and peppers?

pelmetman

The UK well I guess that narrows it down a bit :scratch: If your down south you might get away with it, as Tomatoes, Beans and Peppers don't like frost.
Have you some where like a conservatory or glazed porch you could put your containers until it is safe to move them outside?
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

chrissie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wikaniko do lots of tips on organic gardening and have a free weekly organic gardening newsletter you can sign up for..........

Go to http://www.we-go-eco.org.uk, click on enter and you will see the organic gardening section.

Its all free and may help you grumpygardener

chrissie
More than a business: A way of life!
http://www.we-go-eco.org.uk

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Welcome WR
sounds like you're already having lots of fun! And far more organised than me - I haven't got any seedlings yet (cos I ain't planted any seeds yet either, doh).

We had a lot of concrete in a previous garden - rented a jackhammer to get some out - left the stuff that was on top of the septic tank (for obvious reasons) - and then put bark down on top of the remaining concrete - much easier than the jack hammer (although - that was a lot of fun too) and instant results :lol: - looked great.

I always reckon it takes a good four years to get a garden to start to show real signs of how it looked in your head at the beginning....

The garden I have now is full of large stones - at first these felt epic, it does get easier as you develop better techniques for getting them out - and stop crying about having bent both my good forks really badly :roll:

I gew my peas, beans and tomatoes in pots last 2 years, reasonable results and the others are right - it's really nice to grow stuff while you're still knocking you pan in digging, chopping, hauling out roots, stones etc etc

Good luck :flower: