101 uses for an odd sock

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 uses for an odd sock

Bringing this old post back up again because I've found a new use for one of my very, very many oddies. It's on the knob on the back rest of the computer chair to prevent it scraping the wall when people do spinnies on it. :cheers:
Rosey xx

Big Al

Not ver nice one but i do believe that if you are in prison an odd sock with a pool ball in it can be quite a weapon.....allegedly.... not that i have been in prison or anything...
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Milims

Not sure if it's been said already - but we used the play a game with a ball in a sock. You stood with your back to the wall and swung the sock from side to side so that it bounced off the wall. You could do it over your head and under your legs too. I think there was a rhyme with it but I can't remember. Don't know if it's a real game or just some bizzarre pass time made up by bored convent girls! :wink:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

sleepyowl

Rabbit earwarmers
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Milims wrote:Not sure if it's been said already - but we used the play a game with a ball in a sock. You stood with your back to the wall and swung the sock from side to side so that it bounced off the wall. You could do it over your head and under your legs too. I think there was a rhyme with it but I can't remember. Don't know if it's a real game or just some bizzarre pass time made up by bored convent girls! :wink:
I used to do that too.... but with old tights (just one leg worth), I can't remember the rhymes either, we also used to tie the other end of the leg into a loop and put it round your ankle, then you swung it round and jumped it with your other leg... difficult to describe.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Milims

I know the game you mean. You could always tell when someone had played it a lot - the had a red ring round their leg!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Reawakened this thread as we've just had an odd sock diagnosed as definitely being mateless, and it's been put into service as an anti-condensation window-wiper. It was clean of course - no-one ever discovers that a sock is officially odd until you've already gone to the bother of washing it...

GabrielGadfly
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cut off the toe and you can use it as a jacket for a ferret or dachshund.

I keep a handful in the back of my car for use as wipe rags.
The Gadfly Revolution - Humans becoming human.

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

To nail to the mantlepiece for Father Christmas to fill :santa:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tea Sock!

Whittards used to sell these things called tea socks. They're like a sock with wire at the top. It sits in the teapot with the tea leaves in it and you pour the boiling water on it. Then, after the water has filtered through, you remove the sock and have perfect tea!

Probably needs a good wash first though...

penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

l have a bag full of hubbys old sports socks(white) l bleached them to a brilliant white by leaving them on the washing line for 2 wks and now lm sewing them into 9 little snowmen that l will fill with recycled plastic bags then the row of little snowmen will be stitched together into a long row and will be my new front door draught excluder.The hats,scarfs and buttons are all recycled wool etc as well.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

That sounds brilliant! Please post a piccy in the 'Looks like We Made It' bit so we can all enjoy your handiwork.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Find 2 knee high odd socks, put a tennis ball in them so that it sits in the toe. Tie the leg end to make cheap practice poi (or, emergency 'dammit, i didn't bring my poi and its sunny' poi)!

marshlander

Annpan wrote:
Milims wrote:Not sure if it's been said already - but we used the play a game with a ball in a sock. You stood with your back to the wall and swung the sock from side to side so that it bounced off the wall. You could do it over your head and under your legs too. I think there was a rhyme with it but I can't remember. Don't know if it's a real game or just some bizzarre pass time made up by bored convent girls! :wink:
I used to do that too.... but with old tights (just one leg worth), I can't remember the rhymes either, we also used to tie the other end of the leg into a loop and put it round your ankle, then you swung it round and jumped it with your other leg... difficult to describe.
Me too!

Edit to add that they can be made into boob tubes or mini dresses/skirts for Barbie (although I had Tressie)
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

my son uses his old socks for:

shoe cream/polish applicator since it covers his fingers effectively.
rag to clean his window sill because of the same reason above