'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Wish we could plant 6 runner beans and 4 broad beans and not have to buy beans for a season.

Still the clothes and hair great. It was me in the late 60's early 70's, and yes I was growing fruit and veg even then. :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

mrsflibble wrote:loved the programme, especially the fact that she said "selfsufficient...ish" lol!

i love the idea of permaculture, it's kind of what i'm trying in my own garden. it's stunning how much she got in small borders; and i also love her warderobe lol!
My thoughts exactly

I don't think these kinds of programmes are about learning technique. They're about inspiring people to give it a try. And if that means style over substance then fine - people will try it and get hooked. Then they can start watching Beechgrove Gardeners with a notebook...

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i just wish i had a proper front garden fence 'cos i would be turning that over to food growth too.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

theabsinthefairy wrote:and that whole fey thing in the garden - oh how I wish - I just get all red faced and dirty from smearing my dirt encrusted hands across my forehead.
I know, my hair doesn't stay where I put it, my knees are covered in mud, and the other week I had soil on the end of my nose and didn't know it, only found out after I'd got a packed bus home :oops:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

southeast-isher

I really enjoyed it. And yeah that 'ish' mention was funny. Those falafels looked very tasty, think i might try and make some.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I watched the TV prog tonight, all too quick, three months of growing/doing in an hour! i liked the randomness of her garden, i just loath the ponciness of londoness and it's all so flippin' twee! i did like the recipes and her chickens oh and her dog, which like mine, rides around in the basket on the front of her bike/my bike!

southeast-isher

liskeardjane wrote:I watched the TV prog tonight, all too quick, three months of growing/doing in an hour! i liked the randomness of her garden, i just loath the ponciness of londoness and it's all so flippin' twee! i did like the recipes and her chickens oh and her dog, which like mine, rides around in the basket on the front of her bike/my bike!
I'm pretty sure it was filmed in Birmingham! Admittedly yeah it was quick - wasn't even an hour though but half an hour. Much too short in my opinion. But well produced i thought and spreading a good message.

Millymollymandy

And nobody else found the flashing lights and strange black and white bits annoying and very offputting? :shock:

My husband says she looks like David Coulthard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How she thinks she's going to feed herself from the few little spaces she allowed herself in between her perennials I don't know, and if I watched it again I do wonder what will happen to the courgette which is planned to go in amongst her cranesbill geraniums. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked the willow weaving bit but that's about all. I don't just feel sorry for the poor chickens, I feel sorry for the dog to not have any space to run around in! :iconbiggrin:

Still don't like her, and what on earth was she wearing at one point? A nightie? :lol:

I also don't like labels, it seems that 'permaculture' just equals common sense and what I've been doing for years. :roll:

Back to Kirstie and Relocation Relocation as it's much more entertaining. :sunny:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

theabsinthefairy

Yep - filmed in Kings Heath Birmingham.

A nightie MMM :lol: :lol: - there's me envying the lovely vintage style fabrics :lol:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

southeast-isher

As a vinyl record collector was impressed to see her rummaging through a load of records in a second hand record store right at the beginning of the programme :-)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

pelmetman wrote:Still the clothes and hair great. It was me in the late 60's early 70's
Dave, you must have looked sooooo cute!!!! :sign5:

I watched it too. Not overly impressed, definitely style over substance. But, as has been said before, if it encourages some Ish activity it's all to the good.

Maybe she'll go into a little more detail in future programmes, but I fear the precedent (Andy note spelling :lol: ) has been set.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

theabsinthefairy wrote:Yep - filmed in Kings Heath Birmingham.

A nightie MMM :lol: :lol: - there's me envying the lovely vintage style fabrics :lol:
I wouldn't know what vintage fabric was if it hit me in the eye but if that is fashion (and I hate most fashion and have done for the last 10 years or so :iconbiggrin: ) then I don't want to be seen dead in it. OK so you do find me in the garden in my nice turquoise or barbie pink fluffy dressing gown and wellies but that's only when I let the ducks and chooks out - wouldn't do that in front of TV cameras! Oh hell, maybe I would if they were paying me a shedload of money! :lol:

Both my husband and I looked at each other and said simultaneously "WHAT is she wearing? :shock: ". :mrgreen: It did look like a baby doll nightie to us jeans and wellies types. :iconbiggrin:

Oh also forgot that I really brindled when she dared to say selfsufficientish as that is OUR word!
Green Aura wrote:
pelmetman wrote:Still the clothes and hair great. It was me in the late 60's early 70's
Dave, you must have looked sooooo cute!!!! :sign5:
GA check out the 'What did you cook last night' thread cos Sue (Pelmetlady) explains that it is her posting if she puts a :flower: at the end of her thread!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

citizentwiglet

I kind of begrudgingly liked it, although I did get slightly miffed by her idea of a 'small' town garden being 20 ft x 60 ft; when mine is about 10 x 10!

Loved her wee hippy dress though....although I'm pretty sure that my pal has one of those, and they were sold in Primark last year... :lol:
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

grahamhobbs

Well, what was there to dislike about it, it was sweet and anything to get new people growing their own must be good.

It's only the impression that you can feed yourself on a few plants dotted amoungst the roses that concerns me, this veg. growing is only going to be a very occaisional small supplement to buying your veg at the supermarket, it is not going to seriously feed a family. It's this false impression that concerns me. Ok encourage people to start growing, but be realistic. Otherwise what happens people get an allotment and give up in no time because they have unrealistic expectations, wasting the space for people who are serious.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Millymollymandy wrote: Both my husband and I looked at each other and said simultaneously "WHAT is she wearing? :shock: ". :mrgreen: It did look like a baby doll nightie to us jeans and wellies types. :iconbiggrin:
Was it the veeerrry short one? I wouldn't want to bend down to weed wearing it :shock: There are some clothes that don't belong in the garden!
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.