Real Ginger Beer Plant

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Teresa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

I last tasted real ginger beer in the 70s when my granddad used to make it in his shed! This has got me all nostalgic and I'd really like to have a go myself. Feeling a bit nervous though as it seems that if you don't get the culture right it doesn't work. Can anyone either share some plant that does work and I'll happily send you some P&P or point me in the direction of a bona fide supplier of the real thing. People seem to vary in their opinion of what suppliers are supplying. I know what we used to drink was made with the gooey stuff because my granddad was given a jam jar full by a friend and I remember the way it looked on his washstand. Would really appreciate some help/advice to get me going.

Teresa

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

Wotcha Teresa, I've currently got a 5 gallon batch of the traditional stuff fermenting as we speak. Currently I've got a few people lined up for some which I don't mind sending out free of charge but it's first come first served so once I've posted some out for them, I can then send you some.

However if you want to get some direct from where I got mine, you can get it from www.gingerbeerplant.net - Jim is a good authority on ginger beer plant and whilst his website often says 'out of stock' if you pay up front you skip his list and he'll send you some out.
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

Teresa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tim_n
Thanks so much for the link Tim. I'll have a look into that this afternoon. I've been away doing jury service and we had a pretty horrible case so I'm looking forward to my ginger beer even more now! I'm going to do some elderflower cordial in the meanwhile! Thanks for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it.
Teresa

MikePreece
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My sisters and their friends used to make ginger beer with a GBP that circulated/spread throughout family and friends. Just one of those things that I took for granted would always be available. Sadly, I have been unable to find anyone locally who has a clue what I'm talking about. So... if anyone here has a GBP recently split I would like some. I reckon if I brew some here I can easily encouage friends to do likewise and so revive the "pass it on" culture here in Bristol once they get a taste. Please email me direct if you can help. Cheers, Mike.

scander
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have recent developed the urge to brew my own Ginger Beer. I have started with a bakers yeast receipe but was looking to find a traditional Ginger Beer Plant around the traps. Does anyone know another source here in the UK other than gingerbeer.net who seem to be a little busy at present ? Cheers

7cats
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I remember having a ginger beer plant when I was about 4 , everyone iv ever mentioned it to has said theres no such thing I had started to think it was a dream, does anyone know of any way I could get 1 to Bulgaria or if 1 would survive a weekish in the post if I could order 1 to someone in Englands address for them to post on to me , I would really love 1 .

retro-culture
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Here is a photograph of my ginger beer plant, it's growing like mad!! I've uploaded a video here - http://www.retro-culture.com/gallery.html

Attachments
ginger-beer-plant-003.jpg
ginger-beer-plant-003.jpg (156.65 KiB) Viewed 8401 times

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Love the video RC. Why don't you post in the introducing myself section then we can greet you properly. In the meantime, welcome to Ish.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Retro-culture warns not to put ginger beer in glass bottles. This reminds me of the time I did exactly that, glass bottles with beer bottle metal caps. We had drunk most of it but one last bottle was sat down the corridor in a cool place under the front steps. One day there was an almighty bang. We rushed down to find just the bottom of the bottle sat with the metal cap in the middle of it, everything else had vapourised. There was no sign of any of the contents or the glass bottle whatsover, except these two perfectly placed pieces and the faintess smear of dampness on the walls! The power in that bottle must have been incredible.

retro-culture
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Grahamhobbs - love the cautionary tale :shock: :lol:

Green Aura - thanks :sunny: I shall go and do that now!

shaky
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.6037
longitude: 0.6953

Hi Mark B
Do you still have Ginger Beer Plant if so any chance of one, I have been scouring the inter net for info on said plant, my gran had one, and on a detox month I was reintroduced to the delights of Ginger Beer.
Cheers Shaky

stas
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Jeez,
I've been searching for this for some time. Does anyone have some leftover plant?
I live in Denmark, so an ordinary letter shouldn't take long to reach me if sending from the UK. Northern Europe should be fast too.
Please, PM me.
Stan

oneof5
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 35.9605556
longitude: -83.9208333

What is the best way to add minerals to your water to help the plant grow AND how do you store the extra GBP?

Thanks,
Lisa

Teresa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm still looking for some ginger beer plant - and thank you oldben1 I don't want a mixed culture. If tim_n or any of you guys have some to spare then I could gladly swap for seeds. I have just "inherited" a bag full that need using up ;-)

I tried gingerbeerplant.net but it says that they no longer sell it. oldben1 do you know any genuine GBP suppliers? Even if retroculture's was genuine it's a bit pricey for me at £16 a go.

oneof5
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 35.9605556
longitude: -83.9208333

You might try yahoo groups. There are a lot of people on there on your side of the map, if you think it is hard where you are, you should try living in the US and finding someone that has the real stuff. Most people here don't even know what ginger beer is. It helps if you offer shipping costs or a compensation for troubles.

Lisa