help with between floors insulation...

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: help with between floors insulation...

Thanks fruitcake :mrgreen: I was doing more rockwooling today in the eaves and I will have loads more to do before the build is finished. I need to get my self a better fitting face mask though *cough, splutter* I have resigned myself to the fact that if I don't do something myself, or closely over see it, it will be done wrong. :roll:

Thanks Graham, I have a visit from building regs tomorrow anyways and I was going to ask. I asked her on the phone earlier about external doors and now I need to find and for out for 2 doors of 1.8U or better.... SOAB!

In other news.... today I had to get a joiner (I call him 'idiot builder') sent home because he stunk of booze... this is the same man who has already broken 2 kettles, sawn into my dining table,opened my mail (cutting a book) and peed repetitively into a toilet that was not plumbed in (which I had to clean up)..... what fun....
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sounds like you have recruited Rab C to do the work! :icon_smile:
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

lol.... not far off it actually :lol: :roll:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Probably a bit late from the posts but when it comes to insulation in the loft space, you will be eligible for a grant, probably able to get it for free in fact. providing you have less than 60mm of existing insulation. I spend most of my days doing insulaton survey and it is most gratifying giving people free insulation.
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

Lincolnshirelass

That's *terrible*!

My husband's a builder and it makes me so angry when I hear about useless goits who give the rest of us a bad name...

We're also self-building (literally due to husband's skills) and insulation is the top of our list - we also used neoprene strips between floorboards and joists to deaden sound... We haven't put our inter-floor insulation in yet (haven't got ceilings to worry about yet!), but will go with acoustic rockwool when the time comes.

As regards builders (and I speak as someone running a building firm here) NEVER pay them everything up front. It's amazing how an outstanding invoice sharpens the attention to detail...

Good luck with the rest of it!
My general jabbering about all things ish - http://www.lilliputfarmer.com

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

It gets worse....

We have now been threatened with legal action :dontknow: for why???? and he also said he would send someone round to remove some work that has been done outside....

I have been writing about it in my blog and don't want to repeat it all here but....

well...

Basically we are still out of our house, been out since the 12th March. I come back every weekday, from 7.30am till 6pm. I am missing my wee girl terribly (who wakes up during the night crying that she want's to go home).... we feel like refugees.

Today we have tapers here but the builder wont send anyone else (can't afford to pay anyone else) until we make the next payment when the tapers are finished.... but there are bits of plaster board missing, which mean the tapers CAN'T finish.

sigh, sigh and thrice sigh.......
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ann, I can't think of anything contructive to say but it sounds so terrible for you I just wanted to send some :hugish: and sympathy.

If there's anythign we can do froma distance or even over a weekend or something let us know and we'll try to come down and help out.

Cassie

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks so much Cassie :hugish:

I have to say that the encouragement and support I have on-line has been a real support to me, helps me to carry on (not that I have any other option of course) I don't know what I would do without it.

There are folks in the world much worse off than us, OH still has employment, we still have each other, we have some great family, and we still have our health (but you know things are bad when you find it necessary to say 'we still have our health' :lol: )

Once we are back in the house and have either (a) got rid of the builder, or (b) eventually got the builder to do what is in the contract. We will have a 10 day long festival of 'getting stuff done'. I am hoping to put out a plea here for help when it becomes clear how we can get our life back.

So thanks again, and thanks to everyone else for the words of support. :grouphug:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay