Cloth Nappies for dummies please!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cloth Nappies for dummies please!

Hi there,
Could someone try to explain modern cloth nappies and their various attributes such as pockets and so forth to me?
I would like to take the plunge for my not so little ones (Master Three and half AKA Sir You can't make me use the loo, and I know it! and chubby bubba 20mths old) but I want to find something where I can use flushable liners and the nappy can go in the washing machine. Oh and my sewing is appalling BTW so I would be buying!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cloth Nappies for dummies please!

I never used pockets.... they confused me and it meant buying in to a 'system'

I used mostly old fashioned terry's squares (a thin square towel, for the uninitiated) - Easier to wash and dry, cheaper to buy, easier to recycle no velcro to stick onto everything in the wash, different folds are better for different body shapes/sizes.

I wrote a blog post about it a few years ago,which might help a bit..... it took me a long time before I figured it all out and eventually you just need to try a few types... here's the post - http://thebogheaddiaries.wordpress.com/ ... and-wipes/

Once you figure it out it you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dont know what is currently out there, but used Terrys for my now teenagers. They were totally easy if you get good velcro covers, which I am sure you can get lots of different ones now.

As for liners, I did use them sometimes, but found dunking in the toilet easy and effective and they just put nappy into large bucket to soak next to loo.

Also, no liners = more sensation so will get 3yo trained in no time.... :cheers:
Sarah :flower:

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

I was given some of the covers with pockets. They worked fine until the kids got old enough to walk, then you have to pin the diaper under them (a snappi works great) anyway or the diapers bunch up in the cover.

I tried using the liners, agian they were fine for little ones, but once they are on their feet, there is no greater waste of money. That thin little sheet turns into a ball no matter how you put it the cover. The solids will get on the diapers, which is not a big deal after you get used to it. It isn't any worse than changing a disposable except you tip it out in the toilet.

I liked the covers as just covers. They were nice for keeping the furniture dry and looked nice, but the pull up nylon pants (not the best for the environment either, but lasted through 9 kids and got passed on) worked best. We now have wool covers available, which we didn't until a couple years ago, they are wonderful. They sound hot and sweaty, but wool is the most breathable cover you can get that still keeps the wet in.

Oh yeah, the largest size cotton prefolds were all I ever had. I even used them with a premie. He looked like he was wearing a cotton loin cloth.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sortanormalish- the nylon cover lasted through 9 children- are they all yours? The pants lasting that long is one thing, but I don't know if I would if all nine were like my two! On an aside I think it is a cruel trick of nature to program us to wasnt babies so much- mine are extremely exhausting and destructive (and beautiful and sweet and clever too but concentrating on the loud chaos for now) and no sooner have I breathed a sigh of relief as I seem them both off to creche and mutter to my self "#$@&% children" than I see and adorable little baby in an advertisment or a pouch and my husband and I turn to each other and go "awwwwww bubbies, lets have lots and lots!"
They are like a particularly addictive drug, the wee ones.
Back to nappies, is it at all likely there is a nappy that my husband can incorporate into his routine with a minimum of fuss? At present he washes about every three days and soaks the filthiest clothes in nappy soaker for about two hours before washing. As he is the laundry god in the house i would ike to have something that wouldn't put his routine out ...is there an all in one nappy which can just be soaked a bit in nappy soaker, machine washed and popped on the line or is that not realistic?
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

naomij
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51
longitude: 1

i am a fan of terries too (its worth spending a bit extra to get more absorbant soft ones IMO).

You shouldn't need to soak nappies, that was what women tended to do before washing machines. They'd soak in sterilising solution, rinse then dry. If you have a washing machine you can just keep the dirty naps in a lidded bucket, do a rinse cycle, then wash. Tip any poo down the loo first.

We have mostly terries but I did buy some second hand shaped nappies which are easier when out and about, and my OH can just about get on (though always back to front). terries and shaped nappies need a cover, pockets don't, but seem to be more likely to leak. I haven't tried them as I am not keen on plastic and avoid it where possible. Instaed of pul/plastic overpants you can use wool nappy covers. They have to be soaked in lanolin occasionally, which makes the wool behave like it did on the sheep, basically waterproof, allows mositure to evaporate so better for skin and less rash, no diggy legbands, and the lanolin neutralises the wee. You rarely need to wash them because of that which is brilliant for lazy old me, they don't smell if you air them between uses. A few companies sell them, disana are good, but I knit my own.

Muslins can be useful to have around, if we are out for a while, or overnight, I shove a folded muslin in the nappy which makes it last longer. Def worth buying nappies secondhand IMO and you can sell them on if you don't get on with them

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

First, no, not all mine. My sisters and I rotate them around as we have differnt sizes and ages. I currently don't have any. Thank goodness.

We are all very strict about using only cloth diapers because we went to a highschool built on a landfill. Let your mind wander where it will, you won't go far wrong no matter what you imagine, except methane explosions. There are flaming pipes popping through the ground to prevent that.

I know that the nylon pants have lasted through 9 of them because one sister had written the eldest's name in permanent ink for day care and it was still there when I (with the youngest) passed them on again. You have to wash them properly to make them last that long. No machines, bleach, or direct sunlight.

Second, yes, there are all-in-one diapers. There are even adjustable size all-in-ones. All all-in-ones are very expensive in comparison to other diapers (cost about 5x more) and they don't save enough effort over a prefold with pull on cover to be worth it to me.

When I said 'snappi' I wasn't referring to a small button like thing. A 'snappi' is a 'Y' shaped slightly stretchy plastic thing with recurved metal grippers. They replace diaper pins, which I found out were the only reason my husband would not change a diaper. He was afraid of stabbing little tummies. The snappi is easy to use, as easy as a disposable if you pair it with prefolds.

Before snappi's I did sew snaps onto prefolds. Actually they come in a kit and you smash them on with a hammer. I put two 'female' sides on each back side and several 'male' sides across the front for different size babies. You can buy them that way now, but it's cheaper to do it yourself.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just to say, keep an eye out on your local freecycle as i got lots of dylans Nappies from there, i'd got rid of lots after george out grew them, terries are fab as make great cleaners when they aren't needed anymore they can alre be soaked others can't as it effects the elastic in the legs, tots bots are easy, they are shaped so just as easy as normal ones, wool is the best discovery i've made as people have said it's just fantastic, fleece is also great as a wrap or as liners in the Nappy, if as liners it draws the moisture away but is dry to the touch so stops baby feeling wet or sore. Hope that makes sense :D
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I use Little Lambs reusables. They're not the 'pocket' types, they are the shaped reusables that are - ahem - half the price of some of the other brands, but in my experience, better. I have 10 'normal' terry ones - they take quite a while to dry naturally; and 10 microfibre ones, which are brilliant - they dry really quickly. You can use the flushable liners, or they come with fleece liners (which I prefer - I wouldn't want to walk around with greaseproof paper in my scants, why should my baby be expected to? The fleece liners are obviously a bit more work, as you need to shake / scrape poo off into the loo, but that's no problem), and I just have the plain white PUL wraps. To the uninitiated, it's just like putting a disposable on - twice. First the nappy bit - you fold the 'tongue' in half for a boy (so it sits at the front, where they wee), leave it flat for girls, then pop your liner on top. Put it on exactly like a disposable; then you just put the wrap over the top, making sure no nappy is showing. Foolproof! I love them. I got them when Fin was 6 months old, he's 18 months now and there is still plenty of room so I don't forsee us buying any more nappies, they'll last until he potty trains. We whap them in a normal 40 degree wash (only 60 if he's had a tummy bug) with a quarter of your normal load of washing powder; no soaking required..........bob's your uncle. Beautifully white fluffy bums. (Though I confess I do rinse my machine out every month with washing crystals and vinegar in case anything is, erm, lurking in the machine).

I did try terry squares, I couldn't get on with them at all. I found Nipper Gripper things useless, and even when I found old fashioned nappy pins, I just couldn't get the sprog to stop wriggling enough to get them on properly without getting leaky bits - and the plastic pants were hated with a passion!

One thing to remember with reusables of any kind - they are bulkier than disposables. Most clothes for babies and toddlers are cut with disposables in mind, so you might find you need to put them in bigger waisted/bummed trousers and have groovy turn-ups. Poor Fin is only a wee thing, at 6 months he had to wear 9-12 month trousers with MASSIVE turn-ups just to accomodate the nappies, as his 6 month trousers were just not cut to fit the extra bulk.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Peppa Pig
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Theres so many out there! I think the advice here is great and wished Id known other people who used them before I finally set on the ones we use now.
Motherease ones with the outer wrap and Terrys. The latter being really good value as once they have worn out a bit you can use them for cleaning clothes, hem them and use for reusable wipes and so on.

I must admit that I spend quite a lot of time chasing my littleun around b4 she finally keeps still long enough to get one on. :lol:

:flower:
Muddy Puddles is our favourite episode!

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the tips, some great ideas
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I know this is quite a late reply, but I would just like to speak out pro-pocket nappies.

It doesn't really mean buying into a system and you can pick single pocket nappies up very cheaply. You can then line them any way you like, I buy fleece from a pound shop or use old bits and cut liners out, you can use folded muslins, whatever you like. The newer ones also have a handy little way you can fasten the velcro (if they have velcro on) so they don't stick to other things in the wash or get loads of fluff in them. There are also much funkier designs too. Just beware that most reusables do come from China if you're careful of CO2 print.

Oh and for when they start toddling, there are baby leggings, which act as an extra nappy cover to keep things in place. They are very funky.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for bumping this thread. We have a dozen motherease birth to potty with wraps and I got a selection from Freecycle which I am having to learn what they are! Am bookmarking this thread for when baby arrives and I'm trying to use them all!!!

Here's some links to sewing your own wool soakers (as I was astounded at how expensive they can be to buy!) http://scrimplythrifty.wordpress.com/20 ... r-soakers/
http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/search? ... -results=7

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yup, most of baby things are expensive to buy new. It's one thing that can put people of reusables is the initial outlay. May be cheaper in the long run, but if you're struggling for money a couple of quid a week can be much more attractive than finding however much you'd need for second hand off ebay. I made my own pocket nappies to start with. Thanks to the Internet, there are lots of patterns for those not too scared to have a go.

Love the soakers :)

Sparrow
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I wrote a review on a few brands of cloth nappies once upon a time for a forum, if it helps.....
I have several different types of nappy in my 'stash', so thought I would write a review on how I find them.

I'll be reviewing:

Mothercare Smart Nappies
Bambino Mio
Tot Bot Bamboozles
Blueberry One Size

Mothercare Smart Nappies ****

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Sm ... 1&mcb=core

These nappies are in several parts. You have the waterproof outer cover, then inside you place a reusable or disposable inner, and then on top of that you place a papery liner.

These are the only nappies I know of, that you can use a disposable inner (thus not having to use a liner). This is brilliant if you are out and about and just want to carry a couple of inners with you, as when they're done you can just bin them.

The outer cover for these nappies are quite plasticky, as they are waterproof. However the inner is very soft against babies bum. I ten to rarely use a liner unless I know she's going to have a poo as I prefer the soft cotton inner against her skin.

Absorbency: This nappy is brilliant. The inner is designed so that ALL the moisture wicks away from the baby bum, leaving the upper part bone dry and the nappy soaking underneath. I'm always amazed at how much this nappy holds, without it touching my baby's skin. I have only had this nappy leak once, when it was my own fault for doing it up wrong.

Ease of Use: Anyone can use this nappy. In fact, it's my OHs favorite nappy to use. I however much prefer my other nappies. This is pretty much because I'm a bit lazy. This nappy requires that you put an inner in the nappy and then a liner on top. With my fully cloth ones, they're all ready to go. No folding required.

Another point, is that these nappies are better soaked(though you don't have to). So a nappy pail is needed. However, it's very easy. Just keep a pail next to your changing table with some nappy soak in it, and empty into the washing machine when you're ready. It then goes on a rinse cycle.

These nappies can also be tumble dried on a low heat, as well as line drying and neither has any ill effects on the nappy.

Value for money: Fantastic value for money. I paid about £40 for 3 outers and 8 reusable inners. Liners are about £2.50 for 200. You can get a trial pack for about £9.00, which will give you a good idea of how the nappy works and if you're going to get on with it.

Design: You can tell that Mothercare have looked around the market and looked at what they can improve before making their own nappies. The fact you can use a disposable inner is just great, it really means that you can swap between a resuable or disposable nappy at will, without forgoing comfort for your baby. The only element I was a bit put out by, was the fact that all these nappies are white. No funky designs or colours to choose from.

All in all, a nappy I would recommend if you want to use reusables, but not necessarily cloth. Very easy to use, and very comfortable for baby. I think if you are just starting out then you should really consider these.

Bambino Mios ***

I only have a trial pack of these, so can't really review in depth. They are a very popular brand though, so if you ask around on BnB I'm sure someone will be able to give you more information.

The Bambino Mios are again, a two part nappy system. You have a waterproof outer, a piece of cotton fabric which you fold into an inner and then liners. These nappies have won quite a lot of awards, and come highly recommended.

Absorbency: These nappies are very absorbent, and like the Smart Nappies wick away moisture from babies skin. However, if you don't fold up the inner correctly then expect leaks to happen. The inner is not prefolded either, but in the instructions are different ways to fold it. I did find it an extra faff to be honest. I also found the mio liners to be quite hard and probably uncomfortable against babies skin so invested in some other liners. There isn't any need to buy mio liners, as long as they fit.

Ease of Use: Although they are two part nappies like the smart nappies, I don't find them as easy to use. Worth the smart nappies the inner are prefolded, whereas you have to fold the Mio inner. Not really a great hardship, but you notice the difference I feel. The Mio has aplix(velcro) fastening, which makes it easy to fit to a variety of baby body shapes. However, I found that the Mio wasn't shaped like my other nappies and leaks invariably happened.

I didn't really get on with the Mio at all, but know people who have. If you're thinking about the Mio then I would recommend looking at the smart nappies, as mothercare seems to have addressed some of the issues the Mio has. However, I do prefer my cloth nappies to my reusables.

Tots Bots Bamboozles ****

http://www.totsbots.com

Tots bots are very simple. The nappy is in once piece, with a clot inner on poppers. You can fold the inner if you like, and use a liner if you like (I never do). As the nappy is just one whole piece, you simply put it on. However, these nappies do require a waterproof outer cover, which you can buy separately. These nappies are known as 'two piece nappies'. The bonus to these nappies though is that they come in a range of very funky designs and colours and require no soaking.

The Bamboozles are the newer nappies, which are made from organic bamboo and have a higher level of absorbancy than cotton.

Absorbency: These nappies are very absorbent. However, unlike the Smart Nappies the moisture does not wick away from your babies skin as much (unless you're using a liner). So changes are required more frequently. These nappies must be used with a waterproof outer cover, or else your baby will end up soaked! However I have never, ever had one of these nappies leak, even though my outers are a bit too big for my LO.

Ease of Use: So incredibly easy. Put the nappy on and your done. No faffing with folding inner or using liners if you don't want. No worrying about washing the nappy and inners seperatly. No soaking, nada. Just put the nappy on, put on the waterproof outer cover and you're done. When you change baby, just put the whole thing in the wash. You can also line dry these, or tumble dry on a low heat. I actually find if I tumble dry them they come out lovely and fluffy.

You can also get these nappies in a range of fastenings. Aplix(velcro), poppers or nippas (modern safety pins). I much prefer the aplix fastening, though the poppers are very easy to use too. The fact there is such a selection of fastenings though is a big plus. You're bound to find something that suits you and your baby.

Value for money: I would say that these nappies are "mid-range". IMO they are well worth the money. You're looking at about £9 per nappy, plus £8 per outer. However, you only really need a few outers in your collection. You can buy packs of Tot Bots with 5 nappies and 1 cover for £52.00.

Design: These nappies are just so easy to use. The design is simple but it works. For affordable cloth nappies, tots bots can't be beaten really. They retain their shape no matter how many washes, and stay soft. In fact I'm sure mine are getting softer with each wash! I love the fact it's soft cloth against my babies skin. The other thing I love is the wide range of funky colours, both for nappies and the waterproof outers. They also don' stain, and don't require any soaking which is a huge plus for me. The tots bots come in a range of sizes according to your babies weight, so you will have to buy bigger ones as your baby grows.

So to summerise, if you are wanting proper cloth nappies for your baby then bamboozles are fantastic. The only downside I can think of is the fact your baby will require more changes as the moisture isn't wicked away as much. They fit very well onto any baby, which is a huge plus for cloth nappies and the resale value is very high if you were to sell them on afterwards.

Blueberry One Size *****

http://www.babykind.co.uk/blueberryonesizepocket.htm

Blueberrys come in two types. One size or pocket nappies. The one size are designed to be used from birth, while the pocket size is done by weight so you will have to buy more as your baby grows. Blueberrys are 'all in one' nappies, which means there is no need for a liner, and the inner is part of the nappy itself. There is no separate cover. Everything is in one.

Absorbency: Very, very absorbent. In fact, the most absorbent nappy I've used. No leaks at all, ever. I don't really know what else to say! They're fantastic. The fabric which touches babies bum does get damp, but I found about a couple of minutes of having the nappy open the fabric was bone dry again. So is does wick away from the skin very well. The fabric also repels poo, so no need for liners if you don't want them.

Ease of Use: Put it on, take it off and throw it in the wash. Thats it! No faffing with folding inner, no liners, nothing. There are inners, which are placed inside the actual nappy in a pocket. The only thing about these is that they need washed 3-4 times when you first by them seperatly from the nappy. This is to seal in the oils that repel moisture. Once this is done you can put the whole thing in the wash when used. By far and away the BEST thing about these nappies are the fact that the nappy is one size. So it will fit a newborn, or a toddler. When you buy one, it's for the duration of your child's early years. There is no having to buy bigger sizes, no having to buy covers, nothing. This system works by having popper on the inside where you can adjust the size.

The nappies have aplix (velcro) fastening, which I prefer. This allows you to get the nappy done up to the correct size for every baby.

Value for money: Now here's the sticking point for most people. This are what I call "top of the range" nappies. They are about £22 for EACH nappy. Are they worth the money? Oh good god yes, a thousand times over yes. If my OH let me, I'd have 20 of these and throw out my tots bots and smart nappies. (even though there's nothing wrong with them) These are THE nappy IMO. £22 is a lot of money though, right? Well if you think about it, the nappy is an all in one, one size. So no having to buy bigger sizes, and no having to buy liners or inserts. £22 will get you from birth, to potty training and you'll never have to shell out any money again.

So if you really want these nappies, but aren't sure of the price then I recommend borrowing one, or buying one to try it. You'll be a total convert. I'm buying a couple each month to spread the cost, which the idea of ending up with about 10 in my "stash".

Design: As this is an all in one nappy, the soft minky fabric is always against your babies skin. The fabric is the softest cloth nappy I have ever found. In fact, I want to wear them. Very very silky and soft. There is a pocket inside the nappy, which the inners go into. That's all there is to it.

These nappies come in a huge range of funky colours, which is a great selling point. As there is no need for outers you're funky nappy choice is always on display.

In my opinion they are the creme du la creme of cloth nappies. In fact, they aren't even cloth, they're like silky minky soft goodness against your babies bum. If you can justify the cost, you'll love these.