Brassica / Carrot netting...

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular

Brassica / Carrot netting...

Very aware of the 'birds can get trapped and die' message, and the 'small things get through the netting'....I've sorted out my raised bed at the community garden (we only have the one raised bed, 24 ft by 4 ft) so all the crops that need protecting are together (considering beneficial/companion planting) - need net to cover carrots (though are high up in a bed which is 2ft high, BUT the site is windy so they might carry over, I understand), kale, calabrese and swede from cabbage root fly, butterflies and birds; but as safe for the birds as possible. Am not allowed 'scarers'.

Am I best off with fleece?

Fank you!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Brassica / Carrot netting...

newbie here who was going to use netting as stuff being eaten already... what should I use instead if net is bad for wildlife?

grahamhobbs

Fleece doesn't have a great life and can make things like carrots too hot in summer. Don't see a problem with nets, so long as reasonably secure at bottom so birds don't get inside and get trapped, small mesh against butterflies will also help. Against carrot fly need to use the micromesh.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have to disagree here. Netting of any kind is a complete no-no for me, no matter what the mesh size is. I once got very sick of releasing birds who not only get trapped beneath wide-mesh nets, but also get their claws caught in finer-mesh nets (that one goes for the net wrapped around fat balls too). As far as I'm concerned, the stuff should be banned.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Merry

Crikey!
In half a century of gardening I`ve never had a bird trapped inside netting or with feet caught in it.
:?
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

grahamhobbs

I'm the same, well 40 years, except I once saw a pidgeon that had been killed by a fox when it had got under a net. Does it make a difference whether it's a town or rural location, perhaps?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, this is a pretty rural area. Maybe we just get the dumb birds :lol:

Mike

citizentwiglet

Thanks all....Mike, it was the birds getting trapped above the nets that I was most worried about; although I must say I have used those fat-balls and we've never had any problems despite having a wide range of birds using them.

OK...so if I get netting, I want it as fine as possible, yes? But that I can still water through, to save taking it off to water? With regards to the birds keeping away - I'm wondering whether a highly visible, bird feeder of far more interesting food might act as a deterrent to keep them off the net in the first place?
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have never heard of nets being bad for wildlife :shock: I use them everywhere I don't get birds going near the stuff that is netted but they will peck on the ground a few feet away... We get quite a lot of birds here but I don't feed them and certainly not near the veg patch (won't that just make them come back expecting food and attack your veg instead?) hmm...

This year I am experimenting with green netting held a fair distance above my brassicas hoping to confuse the butterflies... previously the cabbages got eaten when I just laid some net on top.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I was beginning to get paranoid. However, here's the advice from the RSPB ...

"Bird cake and food bars

Fat balls and other fat-based food bars are excellent winter food. If they are sold in nylon mesh bags, always remove the bag before putting the fat ball out – the soft mesh can trap and injure birds. You can make your own bird cake by pouring melted fat (suet or lard) onto a mixture of ingredients such as seeds, nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal, cheese and cake. Use about one-third fat to two-thirds mixture. Stir well in a bowl and allow it to set in a container of your choice. An empty coconut shell, plastic cup or tit bell makes an ideal bird cake ‘feeder’. Alternatively, you can turn it out onto your birdtable when solid."

Mike

Millymollymandy

I have had a bird trapped once who got into my strawbs but the choice is either one bird trapped in 5 years or me having no strawberries so sorry birds, I win! There are plenty of squidgy ones or half munched by slug ones that I throw out for you to eat!!!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Fast-Frog
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've heard good things about Envionmesh, but it's really expensive. Stops carrot fly and you can water through it.