What have you got brewing at the moment

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What have you got brewing at the moment

Bromd123 wrote:Hey Guys

Just put a gallon of hawthorn flower wine on last night, Took an age to sepperate all the flowers but should be worth it judging by the smell...
mmmmmmmmmmmm smells like really fragrant honey
Good on you! I've never really been sold on the idea of flower wines but maybe I should give it a go - I'll have to find something pleasant that grows in NZ (please don't say gorse) :drunken:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

First lot of rhubarb wine racked into a demijohn and fitted with airlock, just to make sure it's not going to do anything silly in the corner of the kitchen. Tastes quite like a nice dry white wine :icon_smile:
Second lot of rhubarb juice has been strained off, made up to about a gallon and had the yeast added. Starting to bubble nicely when I looked this morning. The juice of this second lot, not as much rhubarb flavour as the first and a bit sweeter (I think we must have used a bit more sugar for the extraction).

Now how much crumble topping do I need to make for a couple of kilos of super sweet stewed rhubarb...

romie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi all, not been on here for ages
I havent started a brew now for 4 months due to house move etc, but this is whats happening and whats coming soon...

These are all wines BTW

Drinking...
Licorice and peppermint, Rosehip and Hibiscus, Orange, Prune, Peach, Sparkling Cherry (accidental but safe!), Sloe, Pear and Sloe, Ginger, Elderflower, White Rioja, Rioja, Bramble liquor and Blackberry, NOT all at once

Maturing...
Dandelion and Burdock, Spiced Apple, Turnip, Rowan (Mountain Ash), Spiced Fig and Pumpkin, Caraway, Turkish delight, Hop, Berry and Cherry, Sloe Gin wine, Rose and Date, Quinoa and apricot (bloody awful lol)

Finishing...
Strawberry and Black Pepper, Blackcurrant and Vanilla, SummerBerries and Nettle, Verycherry, Peach and Cherry

Fermenting...
Cranberry, Essesence of Dexter, Jasmine, CHOCPOM!, Deedee's Pears, Plum, Pink Apple, Elderflower, Apple and Pear, Beetroot Orange and Ginger, Chritmas Pudding, Dark Chai

Planning soon...
Orange and Chocolate Port , Blackbeer and Raisian, Something with dried whole limes?

also...
Rowan vodka, starwberry and rhubard vodka and many litres of sloe gin

I can recommed several of these but the Rowan wine is the real suprise..., tasted vile for months, its been bulk aging since Oct now and the flavours are really coming on

RobHed
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 51.4796
longitude: -2.5948

romie wrote:Hi all, not been on here for ages
I havent started a brew now for 4 months due to house move etc, but this is whats happening and whats coming soon...

I can recommed several of these but the Rowan wine is the real suprise..., tasted vile for months, its been bulk aging since Oct now and the flavours are really coming on
Wow - what a list ! How on earth do you find the time ? :drunken:
Mad Dad to Evie aged 11 and hubby to Siân

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turkish Delight????? Do tell ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

craig.r
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have just started some elderflower champagne and also just as an experiment i bought 2 litres of apple juice and i am fermenting that out and may sweeten it later.
Its Good to be green but even better to be self sufficient.

leslie.r
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have a gallon of summer fruit wine made from cordial and a half gallon of lemon also from cordial...just seeing what will happen. : )
has the sun come out yet? Nope this is England...

adamg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm trying a gallon of cheapo cider from apple juice. It's in bottles awaiting a friends party next Monday. Someone made the mistake of telling months ahead.
I also have a demijohn of pineapple stabilising and clearing.
I want to try beetroot next. Maybe turnip, potato, carrot sounds like a possibility.
Then it's plum wine in September.

leslie.r
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

just started a gallon of apple and blackcurrent from double squash, I am hoping it turns out to be nice. It will be a cheap wine to make if it does. Hmmm... christmas presents??? Keeping my fingers crossed. :o)
has the sun come out yet? Nope this is England...

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:Well, if you have got a malo-lactic ferment going (slightly "frizzante" on the tongue?), wait until it's finished - it often improves wine (stabilising your wine won't stop a malo-lactic ferment). If it's still over-acidic, you could try a bit of precipitated chalk, or even a couple of crushed eggshells, to reduce acidity.

Or, you could get together with geigercounter and blend your wines, which may solve both of your problems :iconbiggrin:

Seriously, if you have any dull-tasting wine which is under-acidic, they're blendable. Apple would be good, but that's rarely low in acid. Some blackberry wines are commonly low in acid (in which case they taste too "fruity"). Elderberry sometimes turns out to be under-acidic and over-tannined, and that's a prime candidate for blending with something like rhubarb. Plum is another good one.

Having said all of that, if your wine is only just on the acid side (if you see what I mean), than a slight sweetening (make sure that it is absolutely finished and well-racked) can successfully mask the acid.

Mike
Hey mike, just to let you know they have mallo fermented and it is now a VERY pleasant (if very strong) rhubarb champagne - cloudy but lovely and crisp when cooled - just like bought demisec with a rhubarb aftertaste
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

craig.r
Tom Good
Tom Good

I started a gallon of dried fruit wine yesterday and hopefully i will have 2 or 3 differant gallons going before next week.

prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Can you share the dried fruit recipe? Sounds interesting! pbf.

pitwipe
latitude: 53*35N
longitude: 116*28W

^ ditto. I'd be interested in the dried fruit recipe too!

gigglybug

I have just started 1 gallon of tea wine and a gallon of lime juice (10P!) and raison!

Can't wait for the elderberries, sloes, blackberries and apples! :drunken:
Amanda

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34623838139
If your near W-S-M please join!

craig.r
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello Prison break fan and pitwipe.. the dried fruit recipe is as follows

900g Sultanas
450g Large Raisins
1.1kg Sugar
1 Lemon
1 Orange
1tsp Pectic Enzyme
1tsp yeast compound

Happy Brewing

Yesterday i started another gallon of Elderflower Champagne and a gallon each of 2 variations of Elderflower Wine..