Banana cake

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Banana cake

This is my mums recipe - handed down and 'fiddled' about with by me. Its incredibly addictive so anyone on a diet, close the thread now.

(Note to self: take your own advice or the post-baby weight will stay on your hips!)

Ingredients (note - when i use the term cup, i mean teacup)

3 very ripe bananas
3 cups of SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
250g of raisins, sultanas or whatever dried fruit you fancy
2 eggs
bit of milk
tsp mixed spice
cup of sugar
1/2 cup butter

Put oven on to reasonable heat - about 190 C or top right on a 4 door aga...Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Bung everything except the milk and squish with hands - adding a little milk as you go until you get a semi firm consistency. Put in either a loaf tin or 9" cake tin or alternatively, muffin cases and bake until skewer comesout mostly clean. Cover in tin foil and leave sitting for 30 minutes or until you can stand the aroma no more and eat quarter of it while its still hot..like I just have. :oops:

Is best second day and will keep for about 4 days wrapped in sellophane.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sounds very tasty!

I love banana cake. Will give your recipe a go once I've got some ripe bananas (rare in our house!)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

LOL - know the feeling. I stash some in the back of the cupboard each month so the kids don;t eat them all. Sometimes I make cake. Sometimes I forget about them until I clean the cupboard :pukeright:

Right am off to make bread pudding now. Definitely a baking kind of day. Shame the ginger beer isnt ready. Its awful hot in the kitchen :wink:

Shirley

lol... weather forecast has just a measly 8 degrees C for us here in aberdeenshire tomorrow - I hope you haven't packed away all your woolies.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Fisticuffs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

mmmmmm, just made it, because im greedy i cup up some chocolate and baked that in as well. Very tasty thanks for the recipe.

My name is kelvin...... and im a cakeaholic

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

No problem :-) glad you liked it!

Incidentally, if you replace bananas with 4 grated carrots it turns into a seriously moreish carrot cake too.

Fisticuffs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Oh dear, i need to cut back on cake but I have to try that one as well :) Thanks

AnnetteR
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Banana cake

Hillbilly wrote:Cover in tin foil and leave sitting for 30 minutes or until you can stand the aroma no more and eat quarter of it while its still hot..
Sounds just like something I would do. The recipe sounds delicious. I'll have to figure out how to convert the measurements so I can try it. Thanks for sharing.