Puncture proof tyres

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Puncture proof tyres

Recently came across a flyer for puncture proof tyres for bikes, wheelbarrows etc. googled and found several sites selling them at prices ranging from sensible to, "**** off! you can't be serious!"

Does anyone have any experience of them? Are they a worthwhile investment? Are their claims on performance/recyclability/ don't crack or dryout etc true or hype?

Have a funny feeling on the "if it seems to good to be true it probably is" sort of line.

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Puncture proof tyres

I know couriers in London use solid tyres on their bikes

Problem I have heard is that they have very little give in them and can make for a rough ride... But there might have been a change in the materials they use.

Builders wheelbarrows have solid wheels, I know because my builders left a broken one behind.... they burst the tyre of one of my wheelbarrows so clearly the solid wheels are more robust.

Worth a try maybe?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Amateur
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've used the slime inner tubes on my mountain bike and they're pretty good. Basically if you get a puncture then the slime heals the hole and gets you home.

When it comes to tyres I would massively recommend schw*lbe mar*thon plus for riding about on roads / light offroad, tough as old boots and very puncture resistant sometimes I look for glass just to ride over it :lol:

Not seen anything for wheelbarrows... ?

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

ive heard a lot about the puncture-less tyres. they do give a rougher ride but im told that after a while you get used to it and padding on the seat helps. i know someone whos had them for a couple of years and rides everywhere and cant recommend them enough.

i think it might be worth a while to google particular brands specifically for reviews that way youd get a good picture of what to get.

grahamhobbs

There's also the puncture prevention liquids you put into ordinary tyres - might be a cheap option.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

One of my wheelbarrows has a puncture-proof tire. It gives a very rough ride over uneven ground. Not that a load of compost would care much, but based on that, I wouldn't want to try one on a bike.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

After having four punctures in a month, I invested in some kevlar tape to put inside my bicycle tyres, between the tyre and the inner tube. That was about two years ago and I haven't had a puncture since (touches wood frantically). I haven't noticed any difference in the ride and, at less than thirty quid, it was far cheaper than replacing the tyres.

Zoe

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I did the same Zoe, I used slime for a long time but it only fixes punctures, doesn't stop them and you do eventually have to replace it. Now I use kevlar tape and slime (I cycle on uneven ground a lot) and that works a treat. I dont see why you shouldnt be able to put kevlar tape into wheel barrow tires.

Thomzo

Gem wrote: I dont see why you shouldnt be able to put kevlar tape into wheel barrow tires.
Hadn't thought of trying that. Got a small bit left from doing my bike tyres. If I can find it, I might have a go. The only problem is the difference in the width of the tyres. I tend to just push the barrow round with a flat tyre all the time.

Zoe

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ta everyone,

Tape does seem a sensible and more economic option,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Rosendula

'scuse me :oops: Thicko here :oops:
I've never heard of Kelvar tape. Do you stick it on the inner tube or on the inside of the tyre, or is it not sticky and just kind of hang in the gap? It sounds ideal.
Rosey xx

battybird

Rosendula wrote:'scuse me :oops: Thicko here :oops:
I've never heard of Kelvar tape. Do you stick it on the inner tube or on the inside of the tyre, or is it not sticky and just kind of hang in the gap? It sounds ideal.
Thank goodness...thought it was just me!! :oops: Our wheelbarrows in Portugal get punctures regularly, and this might be a solution! :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Thomzo

Rosendula wrote:'scuse me :oops: Thicko here :oops:
I'd never heard of it either but I went to the shop to buy some puncture proof tyres and they suggested it instead. It sticks inside the tyre which means that you can still get to the inner tube if you need to. My bf at the time did the job for me and it was a bit fiddly but definitely worth it.

Zoe

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

I remember my hubby filled his bike tyres with something last spring, maybe some sort of foam? and this gave him solid tyres which should supposedly never puncture. Can't remember quite what it was :dontknow:

Jill

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I race mountain bikes and learnt the hard way after ten years in Texas [think cactus] and it seems to be working ok here in UK now.

Slime tubes and tire liners together are the way to go. Liners dont protect the sidewall, but they make a massive difference still and that slime [or Stans if you can get it] is brilliant.

No idea about solid tires, sounds heavy and uncomfortable.
Sarah :flower: