My Crappy House **UPDATE**

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Crappy House **UPDATE**

I've probably gone on about it quite enough here in the last few months but.... I have now started a blog to share my stories and to vent my anger...

http://mycrappyhouse.wordpress.com/

Hoping that we will touch the lives of some people who might be going through something similar, or maybe reach someone who can help us, or help stop this kind of thing happening to other families.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Re: My Crappy House

Hi Ann, what can I say, (bad) builders should be added to politicians and lawyers asnuscences to society. I wish I lived in your area then I come and atleast help with the cleaning up. The house we rent is a relatively recently relocated house, the builder left without finishing the job properly, didn't clean up and took lots of shortcuts on the project.

Now we are left with a bath we cannot use , abathroom extractor that is not connected, nails and other junk all over the property no save place for the kids to play, mounds of dirt (well mud) as its been raining. The Electrician put the plugs and light switches in very strange places, you have to enter the lounge and close the door to turn on the light as the switch is behind the door.

We have no dry storage as the garage is only hald built, then the builder doing that left to go back to another job and we are still waiting for the landlord to hire a replacement and he'll probably turn out to a cowboy, the last one was atleast a good builder.

But all of this seems absolutely mild in comparrison to what your going through, so you have a thoughts and lots of ish hugs :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: :hugish:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oh my lord!!

:hugish: :hugish: :hugish:

Edit - Twittered, Facebooked and forum'd

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sorry you are having such an awful time. I really hope you have some good luck soon! You are doing well to still be sane, when our "friend" fitted our new kitchen and it took 5 weeks instead of 5 days I was about ready to crack!!! It's horrible when you don't have much control over what's going on in your own house. Thinking of you x

grahamhobbs

I'm a builder and am very concious of the difficulties people get into with bad builders. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a builder and bad builders get away with it because they appear to offer the cheap prices and then intimidate clients into parting with their money. The main thing is to choose a reputable builder, that can demonstrate they have done similar work and have recommendations from a number of clients, and to have a Contract as to exactly the work to be done and the cost and timescale.

Ann, or anyone, if you have any specific problems regarding building faults, workmanship, contracts, etc, I will try and help.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

grahamhobbs wrote:I'm a builder and am very concious of the difficulties people get into with bad builders. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a builder and bad builders get away with it because they appear to offer the cheap prices and then intimidate clients into parting with their money. The main thing is to choose a reputable builder, that can demonstrate they have done similar work and have recommendations from a number of clients, and to have a Contract as to exactly the work to be done and the cost and timescale.

Ann, or anyone, if you have any specific problems regarding building faults, workmanship, contracts, etc, I will try and help.
I have MANY specific problems regarding building faults, workmanship, contracts, etc.... that is entirely the point I guess. I literally don't know where to start (in the blog I decided to go through my photos and talk about each one) We had a contract, trading standards informed the builder he was in breach of contract. We took references and phoned around each one, they were all incredibly happy with the work, we were not able to get to see inside anyones homes (we were never free when they were) but we drove around and saw many of the properties from the outside. We had an agreed schedule, timescale and a list of what would and would not be included....

I can't go into legal details in a public forum, but would be happy to by PM if anyone is interested.

We have had various engineers, architects, building control officers and builders look at the mess we are currently in and each one has said that they have never seen anything like it. :pale:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't applied for either of them yet Susie, thanks :flower:

Suits do a lot of tutting, rolling of eyes, tell us 'that's not right' and occasionally say "you could .... that might work" but a few of them have left saying "I'm sorry I couldn't be more help"

Seriously, I still don't know where we go from here....

I have been suffering from pretty serious and painful panic attacks (several times a day) and my doctor is concerned about my stress levels and depression taking hold... I am no longer able to have phone conversations with any 'suits' as I end up getting too upset.
OH is swamped at work and is rarely able to get even half a day off... when he does he tries to phone round the relevant people to try to get things sorted but we don't seem to be getting anywhere, just going round in circles.

If any anyone has a magic wand I can borrow, let me know.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

grahamhobbs

Ann, deeply sorry that you are so troubled as you are. Unfortunately this makes dealing with the matter even more difficult, because you are in a battle and need your wits about you.

If you have what can be construed as a written Contract you can go to arbitration. This is easier than going to court, although you have to prepare your case as if you were going to court, spelling out your case, the contract, the defects, the cost of rectifying them, etc and finally the money you claim from the builder. However the arbitration procedure is far quicker than the courts, it works to a very strict timetable (you have a distinct advantage in that you can take months to prepare your case but the builder has very strict times in which to respond), and although both can employ solicitors or surveyors, the adjudication process and meetings are fairly informal. The Adjudicator will be a Surveyor or Architect and will come and look at the work and judge it in terms of the Contract and (exacting) national Building Standards. The result is quick and is binding. If the builder then doesn't pay you can then go to court to get the adjudication order implemented (the builder cannot dispute this at this stage, except in very exceptional circumstances).

I am assuming that Adjudication laws are similar in Scotland.
I would advise you to get the assistance of a surveyor to do draw up the paperwork for the adjudication.
Perhaps if a TV programme is interested they might assist in all of this.

battybird

Ann, so sorry for your troubles. My OH was a builder and has never had to advertise as its all done by word of mouth.. I feel really sorry for people who have to put their homes in the hands of an unknown builder (not to mention their money). Another programme that might help is the cowboy trap (I think). Your problems seem to surpass some that were on there and they even put some of it right. You must be so tired of fighting!! :hugish: :hugish: :hugish: How about your local paper...There are good people out there..maybe someone will help.
In the meantime, look after yourself!!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

southeast-isher

I'm sorry for you AnnPan, i think it's all of our worst nightmare. I was reading a bit of your blog last night on my phone and it sounds so distressing.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I can't add anything useful, but I send healing love to both you & your house :hugish:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What a mess! Try and focus on the fact that one day it WILL be finished, and right and good and you and your husband will be sitting in your beautiful, comfortable home enjoying a glass of wine and a smile about how dreadful it all was....

Now, get on the phone to a new builder (stuff the cost- you can't get out of this mess without spending more money! Just DON'T give your crap builder a penny more!) get your new builder in immediately (maybe the building control guys could recommend someone?) and get your solicitor to start legal proceeding against your crap builder (claim for everything you can think of! Breach of contract, damage, personal distress- get your money's worth!!!). You must get him off site. Call the police if neccessary. You have given him plenty of time to do a simple job, and it is an unmitigated disaster. It is essential that you take remedial action straight away.
Please don't worry about money, if you scrap all this and start again then yes, you may well be in debt for the rest of your days. But if you don't do it now, you'll keep having to fork out more and more for remedial building work and you'll be in debt for the rest of your days with an unfinished extension!

Just keep telling yourself- ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Chin up, and show him the strength that Scots women are famed for! You don't have to put up with his nonsense any longer!
:salute:

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sue him for a new lampshade a well! What was the stupid sod thinking? :dontknow: :icon_smile:

Susie

What must be frustrating about this is that you clearly did everything right to start with, checking references etc. Did something untoward go wrong with the builder? Did he have a breakdown/ go bankrupt and have no cashflow for buying materials or something? I'm really sorry anyway for how things have turned out, you must be banging your head against the wall (metaphorically not actually I hope.)

Sending vibes. :flower:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ann - is the builder a member of the Federation of Master Builders? If so then get onto them as they may be able to help you.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery