Old water butts

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Old water butts

I went away for a few days in December. When I returned, my water butts had frozen solid. They remained frozen until the middle of March (it was a pretty nippy winter in the Czech Republic. As the ice melted, it all leaked out of the massive cracks in the bottom of the butts. I was planning to saw them up and put them into the plastic recycling bins in my village, but I also had a problem with compost space. My two compost bins were full... So, I cut through about 300 degrees of the bottom of the butts, drilled holes in the side and now have two extra compost bins. Pictures to follow.
I am planning to buy two new butts, and will (hopefully) remember to drain them at the beginning of December.
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Old water butts

Hi Jeremy, we have the same problem and we've now got 3 water butt compost bins. We drilled holes all over them and they have turned out to be fantastic at filling up with worms and turning compost into good compost really fast. :cheers:

We need to remember to drain ours too, although it's mostly the smallest one that cracks (250 litres). Lost them the last two winters. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

We save as much rain water in butts as possible, any place we can put guttering we have it.

We bought are last two butts from France and they hold 500 litres each. Dave built a large wooden stand to put the butts on so that the taps are at waist height. He made a shelf running across the front so that we can place the watering cans on it and under the taps for filling which makes life a lot easier, especially for me as I suffer with a bad back. I think because the water is off the ground we have never experienced problems with them splitting from the cold.
:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

rodinfrance
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Sue ,
I have just moved to France and am looking to buy some big waterbutts . Can you please let me know where you got your French water butts
regards
Rod

Millymollymandy

Hi Rod - have a look around at the DIY places and garden centres - water butts abound! Probably cheaper in the DIY (bricolage) places. Then you need to pray for rain! :iconbiggrin:

Kezz
Tom Good
Tom Good

It never occurred to me to worry about the water butts freezing :dontknow:

rodinfrance
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you Sue ,
I only moved to Aqutaine in the beginning of June and it rain for the first week non-stop while my friends were gleefully telling me how hot it was in the UK . Will take your advice and try the local Bricolage

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have a look now as the sales are on in France (now until first week in August). I noticed the water butts were in the sale at Magasin Vert today but couldn't tell you how much they were - didn't pay enough attention as we don't need one!

You might be lucky and pick up a bargain.

pelmetman

Hi Rod,

We bought ours about 6 years ago, and I seem to recall I got both for about £70 which was an apsolute bargain compared to what a similar size butt over here would cost :cooldude:
Fortunatly we were in france delivering furniture to Sue's sister gite in our works van so had the space to get them in.
As MMM & Mrs Moustoir said you will find them in your local bricolarge, I would be interested in how much they are charging for a 500 ltr butt now :study:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

We even had a little bit of rain last night so that's filled the butts a bit! :cheers:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Search for "RECUPÉRATEURS D'EAU". One brico chain has the caged 1000l square butts for €132.