Is there a healthier sugar?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Is there a healthier sugar?

Hi borlani and welcome to Ish :wave: If you introduce yourself in the Hello section more people will be able to greet you.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Borlani and thanks for the knowledge, welcome! Giving me a few things to think about there. Much obliged.

Milims

Thank you for the information Borlani. Isn't it scary how our treatment of natural foods such as sugar can completely change what they do to our bodies. I'm no saint foodwise, but I've said for ages that we need to go back to the basics with our diet because it seems that our bodies just don't know what to do with all the refinements and addatives - many of which seem to render the food nutritionaly questionable.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

When I was a student we had to give up either dairy, sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast or processed foods for 6 weeks as part of a nutrition module. I gave up sugar. That is to say things that have had sugar added to them ( so naturally occuring fruit sugars in apples, carrots, red peppers etc were ok and they seem sooo sweet if you cut out all other sugary things) it did mean that most processed foods, even savory stuff like bread and crisps were out. I felt totally fantastic, really fresh and clear headed. When i took to eating sugar again I had really lost interest in the majority of it. The sweet tooth gradually snuck back so I do make occasional cakes but almost always with maple syrup or honey instead of sugar. My advice would be stick to things your GreatGrandmother would have eaten - if she wouldn't have known what it was then stay clear - for me that equates to a big fat no to aspartame and other weirdo non food items and a big smiley welcome to honey. She'd have had some sugar too, I don't doubt, but it'd have been in pretty small quantities.

AnnaD
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would love to be able to cut out sugar, but I find it so difficult! The main thing that stops me is my love for sweet tea and baking. I know I'd feel a lot better if I did, but I'm just weak.

southeast-isher

I've been having honey in tea and coffee and i now prefer it to sugar. Is too much honey bad for you?

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Too much ANYTHING is not good more you. there is real truth in the saying ' all things in moderation'
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Millymollymandy

Hell, better cut back on the veggies then. Courgette anyone? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

enilorac
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've tried to cut out sugar recently since i read that not only does it mess with your blood sugar and energy levels, but it actually robs your body of nutrients (vitamins, minerals and enzymes).
luckily i don't really have a sweet tooth, and i find that the more healthy my diet is, the less i like sugar.
i was always suspicious of this 'fat is bad for you' thing and i just read that a low fat diet apparently makes you crave sweet things more because it doesn't supply enough nutrients and because fat helps to stabilise your blood sugar as it is a slow burning fuel (good excuse for a nice big dollop of butter on my veggies...gotta get those courgettes down somehow!)

i've been using rapadura (in my coffee) - it has a nice taste and a grainy texture, not crystals like sugar. i get it in fresh & wild - you'll probably get it in your health food shop. i'm afraid i can't tell you whether its better than honey in terms of health but its less messy! (and probably cheaper...although, on the down side, it does come all the way from brazil)
if you use honey make sure it's raw and unfililtered as it will have all the enzymes, pollen and nutrients etc intact.
another alternative is Sucanat, but i've not tried it.

caroline