Peppermint

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Peppermint

no, not the plant.

Continuing my occasional posts on good operating systems, I'm just trying Peppermint Ice (http://peppermintos.com/) on my netbook via a USB key, and I'm pleased to report that it's the fastest thing I've seen yet. If you've got a machine that you're just using for internet access and not much more, you should seriously consider this! Older machines would also be massively sped up.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: Peppermint

errrm

riiight

o o ok

foreign language alert :(
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Kezz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ooo I haven't heard of that one. I was runnng Ubuntu on my desktop till it packed up, now I'm stuck with vista on my laptop. I'd love to run linux again but I've heard it's not itunes/ipod compatible, so I'm stuck with windows :(

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, Vista isn't all that bad (tin hat on and runs for cover!!!!!).

I don't like it merely because it's Microsoft. But, as long as you obey the by now well-known rules (don't allow anything to install in Program Files, switch off the something I can't remember the acronym for, throw Internet Explorer straight into the bin) it's as stable and biddable as you like.

Honest. NOO-oooo really, honest.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You're right, of course. We're on Windows 7 and it's unobjectionable. But given that on our netbook (mini-laptop, for those of you unfamiliar with the term) we only ever browse the web, it's like taking out the 10 tonne lorry for a 2 minute trip down to the shops. It's not slow on Windows, but it's also it's not fast, because it's carrying so much extra weight - HP utilities, Anti-Virus stuff, health check scanners, a program to change the wallpaper every 5 minutes.

The lightweight linux desktops, of which Peppermint is but one, are built for speed - fast to boot up, fast to get on to the web, using a fast browser. They don't have the clutter of a massive desktop system, or the distraction, or the marketing links that help HP & Microsoft pay their costs. They just go, fast as the proverbial off a shovel!

The other advantage I find with most of the linux distributions out there is that you can 'try before you buy' buy loading it on to a USB key and then booting your computer from it. This basically runs the whole operating system using your computer's hardware, but ignoring the windows bits of your hard drive, so you can see if it works for you before you install it.

Anyway, sales pitch over. I'm going to be loading Linux Mint 9 on to my desktop next time I can get to it (when the baby's not sleeping in the study any more), so I'll let you know how that goes!
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I found vista quite obnoxious until I stopped all the stuff that runs in the background or self installs. Now I have it doing exactly what I tell it to do I find it far more amenable :)