Can Ish principles be applied to running a business?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Can Ish principles be applied to running a business?

I along with many people run our own small business, and I like to apply ish principles to the way I operate it. I have recently just had my 10 year old works van done up. I could of bought new as it qualified for the scrap scheme but I think that was a con which means 1000's of useful vehicles will be scraped :scratch:

I also try to use as much recycled timber as I can when I make pelmets or stools, any other useful suggestions gratefully received :salute:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Can Ish principles be applied to running a business?

I suppose the most obvious thing would be to try and source old fabrics and re-use them in new and exciting ways. Probably more for your stools than pelmets/curtains though, unless you can find a huge supply :shock: :lol:

And if you're really going for it you could trade your electric sewing machine and power tools in for treadle/manual versions.

For my part I'm pleased to announce that, after 2 years of saving up, dipping into the budget for other purposes, and saving up again, I now have my safety assessment for all my cold-processed soaps and will no longer be using the dreaded M+P!!!!!!!! I can't believe how excited I am about this - it's like starting a whole new business. My local (well 100 miles away local) wholefood co-op does some lovely organic oils and delivers so the world's my lobster. Woohoo! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

You could try to use electronic billing and internet banking as much as possible to cut down on the amount of paper used.

Susie

Green Aura wrote:For my part I'm pleased to announce that, after 2 years of saving up, dipping into the budget for other purposes, and saving up again, I now have my safety assessment for all my cold-processed soaps and will no longer be using the dreaded M+P!!!!!!!!
Oh congratulations! Well done!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

StripyPixieSocks

Use Environmentally sourced packaging, thee are several companies now dealing with this kind of product.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Make sure you dispose of any waste in an environmentally friendly way. Re-use wherever possible, recycle anything you can't. I recently introduced my current employer to the Scrap Store. Both parties were delighted as we got rid of some old office equipment we couldn't use and they got some lovely office equipment that they could use or give away. Freecycle anything else. Can you parcel up left-over fabric scraps for patchworkers?

Zoe

Susie

Thomzo wrote:Can you parcel up left-over fabric scraps for patchworkers?
This is a brilliant idea. Pelmetman, I'm trying to build up an (absolutely embryonic! :iconbiggrin: ) business selling clothes and bags and cushions and things, and I love using reclaimed fabrics - I might be interested in your scraps! There are lots of patchworkers on ISH, too. :flower:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

pelmetman

I do get a lot of scraps of fabric and off cuts of wadding/ foam etc. any decent size bits I use to make traditional style footstools (Which was how Footseys started) but I do have plenty of smaller off cuts ideal for patchwork and small lengths of trimmings which we are happy to pass on for the cost of the postage or if you are in the area please call in (best to ring first in case we are doing deliveries) :iconbiggrin:

I did start taking them to the local school, but they did not seem that interested :scratch:

I have tried freecycle to source cardboard boxes, so far without success :dontknow:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

Susie wrote:
Green Aura wrote:For my part I'm pleased to announce that, after 2 years of saving up, dipping into the budget for other purposes, and saving up again, I now have my safety assessment for all my cold-processed soaps and will no longer be using the dreaded M+P!!!!!!!!
Oh congratulations! Well done!
Bum I was hoping someone would ask what M & P meant as I haven't a clue but already had to ask what several things meant yesterday and didn't want to appear too much of a dimwit all at once!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

:lol: :lol: It means Melt and Pour - you buy in a soap base (which is lovely but not made by me!) and add your own colourings, botanicals and smells. I should be grateful to it - I've made enough money to pay for various bits of renovating as well as my safety assessments and various other courses.

But I feel like a cheat - everyone does it, sells them as handmade (which technically the individual soaps are of course). They're not what I wanted to make though, even though the organic base is free of lots of nasties - so I've been trying out my own recipes and have now paid for the safety assessment for these. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Susie

pelmetman wrote:I do have plenty of smaller off cuts ideal for patchwork and small lengths of trimmings which we are happy to pass on for the cost of the postage or if you are in the area please call in (best to ring first in case we are doing deliveries) :iconbiggrin:
I'm very happy to cover the cost of postage, and small off cuts are fine. Anything more than about 3.5" square is useable! Can I message you my address and you let me know how you want me to pay you?

(I've got a bag I do this would be perfect for :flower: )
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

pelmetman

Hi Susie,

Just pm me your address, are you interested in any of the wadding/foam? ideal for stuffing draft excluders :icon_smile:

Just noticed you are in Cambridge, I do a fortnightly delivery run down to Essex are you anywhere near the M11/A14?

I will start saving the scraps again just binned a load :roll:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Susie

PM'd you! :-)
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

pelmetman wrote:I have tried freecycle to source cardboard boxes, so far without success :dontknow:
What size boxes do you need? Try going round the businesses in your local trading estates or ask friends for the boxes that photopier paper comes in. We go through tonnes of the stuff and end up with hundreds of empty boxes which we have to pay to have taken away. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too far from you to sent them but there must be places nearer.

Have you tried seeing if your nearest ScrapStore (google it) would take the fabrics? They may even collect if you have enough to make it worth their while.

Zoe

pelmetman

Thomzo wrote:
pelmetman wrote:I have tried freecycle to source cardboard boxes, so far without success :dontknow:
What size boxes do you need? Try going round the businesses in your local trading estates or ask friends for the boxes that photopier paper comes in. We go through tonnes of the stuff and end up with hundreds of empty boxes which we have to pay to have taken away. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too far from you to sent them but there must be places nearer.

Have you tried seeing if your nearest ScrapStore (google it) would take the fabrics? They may even collect if you have enough to make it worth their while.

Zoe
Hi Zoe,

The trouble is I need quite large boxes for my footstools, maximum size 65cm x 65cm x 40cm, with regard to my off cuts I think I will find people on my delivery run now that will be happy to take them.
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy