Home made firelighters

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Home made firelighters

Not sure if I read this here or not, but I finally got round to making my own firelighters, and believe it or not they are better than shop ones, and balls of newspaper etc.

Simply put shavings from the chain saw, which I keep dry in a dustbin for home smoking, in an egg tray. Melt down or your old candles etc, pour on the chippings, and then cut the "pots" out and use.

They burn for ages, and light really easily.

It was an American chap who did allot of BBQ's outdoors who told me how, again not sure where.

I did soak some of the chips in Parrafin first, and that seemed to work well as well.(The Parafin from in laws old Greenhouse heater, which I haven't used)

Anyway really good stuff, and the kids helped.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Home made firelighters

I make mine using pine cones or teasel heads, old bits of candle, maybe some petals or herbs and a small bit of candle wick. They look really pretty and make good presents.

Zoe

battybird

I make them in the tealight holders which have been burned down...theres nearly always a residue of wax there anyway. They then just press out of the metal container. The large tealights are good. Never thought of eggboxes...dont get them in portugal...but good idea here in UK. Like the idea of petals etc. Homemade lighters dont give off that horrible chemical smell either. Pine cones make great lighters on their own and smell good too. I have also used heather and rosemary to start fires when I have run out of kindling etc...find I need a bit of paper with them though. I suppose you could mix them in with candle ends! Might try that next time!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Big Al

there is a lot of info on this site about firelighters....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger