Are these sloes?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
jannie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Are these sloes?

ellie-in-wellies
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Are these sloes?

Hi, I reckon these are Damsons (Prunus domestica insititia) but I can't be sure. Damsons are found on trees, whereas Sloes are the fruit of the Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), which is a bush. Blackthorn is also very thorny, Damson not so much, more leafy with larger fruit than the Blackthorn. The best way to test is to taste them. You will instantly know the difference,if they are Damsons they will be fleshy, sweet, otherwise if they are Sloes you will hit the stone before you know it, and they will be VERY sour.
hope that helps
xxSun&Rainxx
:flower:
If you want to be happy for a short time; Get drunk,
If you want to be happy for a long time; Fall in Love,
If you want to be happy forever; Take up Gardening.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Not altogether,Prunus spinosa is usually seen as a bush ,but when allowed to grow will make a small tree just as large as a damson.(I've got one 20 feet from the back door, 18 feet high).I agree, if it's a damson you will be able to bite it without cringing,though some of them can be pretty bitter.There is also a bullace,somewhere between the 2 in terms of bitterness.Anyway,whatever it is,pick them,chuck them in the freezer for a couple of weeks then stick in a bottle and cover with vodka.Add sugar if they're sloes or bullaces, strain before christmas,then drink in moderation with people you like.

ellie-in-wellies
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

oooops, fanks, I did not know that
If you want to be happy for a short time; Get drunk,
If you want to be happy for a long time; Fall in Love,
If you want to be happy forever; Take up Gardening.

jannie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you for your replies. i have to go back there on Wednesday anyway so i'll try 1 then. There was quite alot there so I'm sure i'd manage to get enough to make the drink with. Do I have to prick them? Someone mentioned about pricking them to release the juices. Are they ready for picking now then?

Jannie

oldjerry

Yes,they shouldbe ready to pick now(look out for incredible thorns if they're sloes),Some people prick them,we find it quicker to chuck them in the freezer for a couple of days,sometimes I cant be bothered to do either and it still seems to work ok. Good luck.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldjerry wrote: ... then drink in moderation with people you like.
Can't agree here. Drink in moderation with people you don't particularly like. With people you like, get clattered - in a quiet, respectable kind of way. Then Trivial Pusuits becomes a whole new game. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

jannie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Great thank you, looking forward to making them into a drink.

jannie

oldjerry

MKG wrote:
oldjerry wrote: ... then drink in moderation with people you like.
Can't agree here. Drink in moderation with people you don't particularly like. With people you like, get clattered - in a quiet, respectable kind of way. Then Trivial Pusuits becomes a whole new game. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Mike
I was just being coy, I'll get hammered with anyone.,

jannie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I went back and picked some sloes or whatever they are. They are small and round with a big stone in the middle. I tasted one and it was very very sour. There are alot of the trees there, it looked like they were on bush but it was infact a tree thats gone a bit wild.
I also picked some blackberries and I think I have found hips there too.

Jannie

Kezz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Is it possible to plant the stones and start off new bushes? I'd like to guerilla plant them if so :)

oldjerry

Yep but don't expect blackthorn to grow very quickly , and be wary of where you plant it cos of the thorns.

thecornflake
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have a big hedgerow round the field where our allotment is and there are low trees with very similar looking berries on, there are about the same size as blueberries and similar colour, they look very much like the pic here. Is there any toxic berry that would look the same before I go tasting them to see if they're sloes or damsons? It sounds like they're sloes from the other posts.

Millymollymandy

Why not post a photo here first (including leaves), because sloes and damsons are a fair bit bigger than blueberries.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/