Video Tapes *potentially stupid question*

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Video Tapes *potentially stupid question*

Hi All

Me and my OH are doing a car boot sale on Saturday and decided it probably wasn't worth it to take our old videos along, but it occurred to me that there are probably millions of the things in this country that are potentially going to landfill. Charity shops are clearly struggling to get rid of the things. Does anyone know of any organisations that have found a way of recycling them, or another use for them?

Thanks, Ange
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

Kezz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Video Tapes *potentially stupid question*

You can save the tape and knit or crochet with it I think. And use the cases for some kind of art project? (maybe offload them on a college student to use or something?)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a friend/neighbour who snaps up all VHS film tapes she comes across. She says she's not bothered with high def or digital anything and just loves to watch old films.
Take them to your boot sale and offer them either free or for just a token payment, you might just find someone similar.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

video tape boxes make fantastic storage boxes for small items. take the original sleeve out and use it as a template to make a new one.

you could use the box to store a basic first aid kit ( there are double ones that are even better) that can be easily slipped in the car glove box / on a shelf/ in the caravan etc etc

as a sewing box, to store embroidery silks in to keep them clean (cheaper than shop brought specific organisers!)

use one to for all your modern media storage - memory cards flash drives etc in one place.

i used on at school to store my pencils in.
you could also use a them to store all kinds of craft items and they stack really well on a shelf for easy access.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well, that question had a lot of potential to be a really stupid question, but unfortunately, it failed. :lol: It's a really good question, I've got loads of old videos and I don't have a video player so why am I keeping them? :roll:

The idea of offloading them onto a student is a good one. You could ask your local scrapstore if they'd take them. Or how about asking the local college? If they've got a media department, they might be able to use them.

Zoe

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Some really good ideas here - my OH had a different idea though and came home from the carboot with a new video player so now we'll have fun watching all our old videos :thumbright: We'll probably be the ones buying all the videos from the carboot sales now and that should give us enough time to decide what to do with them all...I can hear the Tate Modern calling already :lol:

StripyPixieSocks

Please don't use them near skin (as jewellery, clothing etc) they have in some cases some very nasty, toxic chemicals on the actual tape and that's never good :(

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ew, thanks StripyPixieSocks, I had no idea about that :pale: