At the night vets...

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

At the night vets...

I'm feeling a bit glum, and suffering no small amount of confusion as our collie has taken a chunk out of our extremely elderly spaniel who is now in the night vets being treated for shock and a puncture wound to her throat of which they have no idea is something vital has been pierced . (pause and take a breath) I understand it's common for older dogs to get picked on but this attack was so vicious ( we never saw it, and the only other time this has happened we've been out too) - we may still have to get the old dog put down as a result , we'll know more in the morning.

The collie is normally so gentle but this as the mother of two young children ( I've never entirely trusted her as the instinct is so strong) but still if the old girl survives this as the first vet that we saw dogs that bite other dogs are very likely to go onto the next logical step and bite children...

I don't want my lovely collie to be a biter but what can I do? We've muzzled her when she is left alone with the other dog - apart from this one time when she was with two other dogs so we thought that it wouldn't happen. She's being given more exercise, but is this it does she have a taste for it now?

Sorry to ramble but I'm upset about meg as she may not survive and I'm upset that it was my other dog that caused it, so I feel like I have failed in my responsibilities as a dog owner!

Anyway your thoughts and opinions would be most welcome as I'm in my parents spare room so we can be nearer the night vets incase we get 'that' phonecall...

How do I discipline a dog who is otherwise impeccably behaved?

Lorna :(

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: At the night vets...

So sorry to hear that and I hope your dog will be OK. :( I can't give advice about dogs just some sympathy and a big hug. :hugish:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am not sure what to say other than I am so sorry for what is happening to you now. I suppose talking to the vets would be a good start about your collie's behaviour, but they may say what you do not want to hear. If you have friends and family who have dogs, talk to them too. Hopefully somebody here will also have something to say to help you make the right decision. I hope Meg will be okay.
I will be thinking of you. :hugish:

oldjerry

It's not the best time for advice,hope your dog pulls through. Jerry.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh Hunni, I really hope ur big dog pulls threw. We have 2 collies, I used to work them but since having the kids they get to chill out, both live outdoors as I would never trust them indoors with the kids. They are both great natured and have never biten but I'm so aware of the strong herding instinct that they have. As Jerry says my love, advice really can come later get urself over this hurdle first safe in the knowledge that u have not failed as a dog owner, sometimes things happen between dogs that we will never know about. I hope the news today is more positive. Thinking of you all. Xx

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Vets say her overall condition has improved overnight her breathing is better and she has eaten. But she has such a significant trauma to her throat that even with the best will in world she may not recover, at 15 1/2 she is too old to undergo any surgery, so the prognosis doesn't look good, hubby and I are off to visit her at 1pm, we both get the feeling that this will be the last time we do.

I'm praying she's comfortable and that we have the courage of our convictions to do what's right for Meg and not to spare our own feelings for a day or two longer. As dog owners we are always prepared to have to make 'that' decision it's just a shame that it has to be in such circumstances. Wish us luck at 1 pm xx

Milims

Good luck :hugish:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thinking of you all. We had that horrible decision to make yesterday. Love and thoughts r with u. Xxx

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Any news on ur dog? Xx