Parsnip leaves = edible?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Juddy in the Charente
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Parsnip leaves = edible?

A friend has told me, after viewing the abundant groqth of leaves on our parsnips. that the leaves are edible! Does anyone know if this so and how does one go about cooking them?
Surely it is better to have grown it and eaten it than never to have grown it all?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Parsnip leaves = edible?

I have never heard of eating parsnip leaves, so I Googled it and found from The National Vegetable Society ....

"Parsnip leaves can be blanched in spring and used in salads as you would use celery. Simply draw soil over roots that are sprouting."

BUT, from The Two SmallFarms Newsletter
Issue Number 270 - March 31st , 2004

"In fact, parsnip leaves are toxic
and exude natural chemicals called furocoumarins.
These toxins can provoke an irritating rash
somewhat like poison oak if you get them on your
skin or rub them in your eye. The roots don t carry
the furocoumarins at all, but you will notice you
never see bunched parsnips in the supermarket"

So you takes your chances it seems !
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

We have wild parsnips growing in my area, and I am very alergic to them, if I touch them I get blisters and a very bad iratation, which when it clears up leaves my arms and hands bare of skin as it peels very badly. So I don't think I would chance eating the leaves.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Juddy in the Charente

Thanks for the advice, guess parsnip leaves are off the menu for this household!!
Surely it is better to have grown it and eaten it than never to have grown it all?

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good to know. Have wondered about them. Guess they aren't as related to carrots as I'd thought.

Blahah
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wild parsnip leaves contain furanocoumarins and they cause photodermatitis. This means that contact with the juice or even the leaves of a wild parsnip can make your skin extremely sensitive to UV light (e.g. sunlight). This commonly causes rashes and burning sores.

Since commercially grown parsnips are simply domesticated wild parsnips, the same is likely to be true of these. However, the roots of wild parsnip are just as edible and tasty as cultivated ones.

Dustee Pines
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Parsnip leaves are absolutely lovely to eat! I enjoy eating them! I just made a batch of beet soup with them for supper tonight. I use the relatively younger leaves or the small to mid size. Wash them and chop them up and cook them in your favorite dishes. if the stalks are small, I use them and if they are large I just use the leaf. I am not partial to them raw -just cooked. They add a lovely aroma and flavor to your food. I put them in mashed potatoes, soups, stews and savory pies! I am Alive and Well! I typically put them in recipes for a longer cooking time. For mashed potatoes, I put them in right at the beginning of the cooking time. For soups, I put them in with my other vegetables. So for chicken soup -it is lovely! If you are not concerned about allergies, give it a try - maybe in smaller quantity - just one or two leaves to see how you do.~ Cheers to Beautiful Food!

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Maybe when the leaves are cooked they loose some of the nasty side they have? Are there not other plants that you cannot eat raw but can eat cooked? I just cannot remember which ones though...

oldjerry

Rings abell somewhere in whats left of my brain,probably something like bamboo,or that maybe just rumour spread by selfish pandas.

Ellendra

The irritating chemical in the leaves is activated by sunlight. Since few people have sunshine in their mouths, it may be safe to eat. But, personally, I'd stick with things I can touch.

I don't think the chemical is destroyed by heat. One of the couples near my land decided to burn their brush-and-weeds pile, and for some reason the female half of the couple chose to sit really close to the fire, right in the smoke. She now has "parsnip burns" over 90% of her body.

There are other plants that are made edible by cooking. Nettle is one.

oldjerry

English people eat them raw,check out the world nettle -eating championship!