yarn jargon interpreter required

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

yarn jargon interpreter required

I'm learning to crochet from some American books. Now I understand that there are different names for the stitches to what I would find in English patterns, and I can get my head around that (I think), but its the yarn jargon that's confuddling me. I don't know if some of the jargon is American, or if it's international, and some probably isn't jargon but it sounds like it to thicko me :oops:
So, what is...

worsted-weight yarn?

Fingering weight yarn?

the difference between a skein, a hank and a ball (I thought it was all balls :lol: . No, really, I did think all yarn came in balls)?

When I've been looking at yarn online in order to get a rough idea of the cost of a project, it talks about ply and double knit, but it doesn't mention that in my crochet books. So can someone interpret please, and if there's anything else you think of that might trip me up, please do tell. I'm a complete noob to pattern-reading.
Rosey xx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: yarn jargon interpreter required

I think worsted weight is our double-knit - I've never looked it up but logically worsted cloth (that they make some suits out of) is a bit thicker than ordinary wool suiting materials. I know it's not as thick as chunky because they have that in the US.

Again only my thoughts, fingering weight is probably four-ply. I tend not to worry too much about these - if you look at the finished item on the pattern you can usually get some idea of how thick the yarn needs to be. If size is important you can always do a test piece, with different yarns and hook sizes til you get what you want. Of course this is much easier to do if, like me, you have an addiction for yarns and so have a blanket chest and several shopping bags bursting with yarn waiting for just the right pattern :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hanks and skeins are the same - you can buy them from many wool shops - they look like twisted up rope (of lovely colours and textures). You need to roll these into a ball yourself before you start knitting or crocheting.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Susie

Worsted is aran weight (one is supposed to be slightly thicker than the other but I can never remember which, I don't think it's too important) - it uses about a 5mm needle/ hook (a tiny bit thicker than DK). Fingering is 4-ply but I think it can sometimes be thinner DK as well.

Good luck with your crocheting!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

fingering 4ply-3ply
worsted dk-4ply
sportweight aran -dk
**edit I think these are t'other way about
laceweight 2ply - 3ply
chunky - errm chunky I guess
somewhere I have a WPI calculator

When I was using a mixture of european and american patterns and yarns I guessed the british equivalent from the hook size on the yarn band

Crochet a swatch and work it out from there?

Historically (afair) a skein was ish 4ounces(100gm)(but I think it was 'yardage' rather than weight) and a hank seven skeins

a ball will be the manufacturers specific, could be anything from 10gm through 25gm, 50gm, 100gm, and the huge 500gm cheapies
Last edited by snapdragon on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

wrap per inch calc with needle sizes
http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/wpi.htm
with british yarn sizes
http://handknitter.co.uk/yarn_guage_wraps_per_inch.html

and i got sport and worsted mixed up ^ sorry
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Rosendula

Yay! Fantastic. I guess I'm off shopping then :cheers:
Thank yous :cooldude:
Rosey xx

StripyPixieSocks

There's also a chart at the bottom of the linked page which tells you how to use other thicknesses / guages / hooks for items by using a formula to get the right amount of stitches / right size.

http://www.earthguild.com/products/knit ... /gauge.htm

It's a bit complicated but I worked it out so anyone can :) x