101 uses for old car tyres

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

Anything up to 20in would be best for pig huts, steps and retaining walls.

With a pig hut, you'd want something like this (seem from above), stacked about five deep with an iron roof over a wooden frame:

OOOOOOO
O______O
O______O
O______O
OOO OOO

That's 90 tyres! But it gives interior dimensions of roughly 8ft long by 5ft deep, which is about right for two sows or up to half a dozen weaners.

The tyre and exhaust place I use had hundreds of tyres - enough to build three huts and still leave some for other jobs. It's daft when the law prevents recycling and reuse.

Thanks for asking.

Stonehead

ina

For a "large" building like a hut I suppose it would be better to have them the same size... Well, I don't think we have that many - and they are any size from tractor to small car! But I'm sure I could smuggle out a carload, even without bothering the boss, if you needed half a dozen for some steps or so...

Will get back to you when I'm going up north next time.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

gideon1
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

If it is legal to have a fish trap you can "lace" the rim together(nail it) and cut a hole in the outside(@3inchs)(2 1/2 works better for smaller fish). Catfish can swim in but not out easily. Tie a rope to it and check daily. You may want to "bait" the area with table scraps. We used to keep fish traps that kept us in fresh fish daily. We learned that the edge needed to be left in the air to prevent turtles from drowning that got into them. Septic tank leach fields are using coursely ground tires in some areas.
smelling the roses while working makes the day go better

Breeze
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We have some car tyres in the garden, they are all used as planters, I've a stack of 4, planted up with succulents, which I use to put the washing basket on, saves bending when hanging out the washing!

A tractor tyre is used for a round about at our local playarea, DH is fixing it at the moment as the wood has rotted away, I'll try and get a photo when it is fixed. There are also 4 car tyres up there that the kids use as goal posts, or just play with them.
Breeze

Shirley

Breeze wrote:A tractor tyre is used for a round about at our local playarea, DH is fixing it at the moment as the wood has rotted away, I'll try and get a photo when it is fixed.
Would love to see that pic.. sounds like a great idea.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good link Shirl!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Chocobed
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

101 tyre uses

A lot of people on my site use them for forcing rhubarb as I hope to soon. Coincidently, there is a small garage on the approach road to the site that has a stack of old tyres that seems to vary in size depending on the growing season...hehehehe :mrgreen:

binclintonusa
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: 101 uses for old car tyres

I've checked the regulations, most of my uses are illegal as the tyres are now regarded as waste and as a registered holding I'm supposed to dispose of waste properly. :salute:

pret auto

Chocobed

A disabled plotholder at my local site has been ejecte after several requests for her to clear her mess up. A mess that included stacks of tyres which she was hoping to use as raised planters. Since then, the site manager has been left with the task of removing several stacks of tyres, which would cost stupid amounts to have removed by a tyredisposal company(yes, they exist!)
One or more of the executive board have even tried to bring in a law that bans any tyre use on any of the local sites. It's getting rediculous! :angryfire:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left....

sleepyowl

Paint them white & pretend you are the Michelin man
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/