Sourdough Bread Disaster

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sourdough Bread Disaster

I consider myself to be a fairly adequate baker. I bake all the bread we use (apart from the odd baguette from the village), which amounts to four or five 1kg loaves per week.

Normally I use yeast, either fresh or dried, but a little while back, inspired by Huge Furry-Whipping Tool saying that sourdough was better in his view, I decided to have a go at this.

The starter seemed to brew alright, starting out a little acrid smelling, but becoming very appitising after a few days, as H F-W suggested it would, and after ten days I made the first sponge.

Again, this behaved itself perfectly, so I made the dough, proved it, shaped it and bunged it in the oven. Being my first attempt I had followed the recipe to the last detail.

The result looked fantastic and smelt fantastic but my giddy aunt did it taste awful. Far more than sour, it was like eating solid vinegar. The texture was very heavy and the bread came apart in the mouth in a most unpleasent fashion.

I hate throwing things away, but even the dog wouldn't touch this.

Where did I go wrong? Does anyone have an approach to recommend?

Thanks.

grahamhobbs

Re: Sourdough Bread Disaster

From your description it sounds like you kept the same starter for 10 days and then tried to bake with it. Keeping your starter for that length of time without refreshing it, it will get increasingly sour to the point as you discovered it is impossible to eat.

If you keep your starter in the warm (ie not in the fridge) you need to refresh it every 2 or 3 days - that is throwing say 1/2 of your starter away and then doubling or trebling the remainder each time with fresh flour and water. This will normally be in the same proportions, unless you want to move from your initial wet mix (usually equal quantities of flour and water) to a stiff mix where the ultimate mix should be flour to water : 100 to 66 or 70 perhaps even 75 (depending on your normal ratio in your final bread mix). A wet mix 'grows' better but a stiff mix (once the starter is established) will keep better than a wet mix which will need refreshing more often.

Initially you definitely need to refresh your starter, perhaps 3 or 4 times, before you use it. Then once your starter is up to strength, then you can store it in the fridge. In the fridge your starter will only need refreshing about once a week - convenient if you only bake once a week.

You don't mention any other faults in your bread, so otherwise it looks as if your first attempt was otherwise successful. So good luck with your next attempt - although unfortunately you will have to start from scratch all over again.

The Riff-Raff Element

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the response. I did the refreshing of the starter, though not more than twice over the ten days - that must be it. I'll have another go and refresh more frequently.

Rosendula

You could always cheat, like me
Last edited by Rosendula on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rosey xx

StripyPixieSocks

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Hi Graham,

Thanks for the response. I did the refreshing of the starter, though not more than twice over the ten days - that must be it. I'll have another go and refresh more frequently.
Yep, we made some yesterday (bread) after having our starter for 10 days and refreshing every day and it was really good. We used the HFW version as well... it's well worth the effort I can tell you :)

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

totally confirm and support what grahamhobbs said.

I myself, use bakers percentages as recipes and also, my sourdough is 100% hydration.
meaning the sourdough itself (not the bread! mind you) is made up with equal WEIGHT quantities flour and water.
so when I have 100 grams sourdough left I feed it the same 100 grams water and 100 grams flour.
I use organic where possible.
I feed only when the sourdough is getting low (quantity) and when its bubbly after feeding, indeed put it in the fridge and store covered, feed at least once a week. using it every other day is the best one, but if you like more flavor, its ok feeding just twice a week and using.

I am interested to see HFW's method and recipe, as I have not that book or seen that show.
But I like him and his ways...

if anyone is interested I could do a post about things to do with sourdough but once you get a sourdough going, it will just improve with age as long as you keep feeding it! very hard to kill it off, and I abused it a lot... :D

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Rosendula wrote:You could always cheat, like me
That's not fair! Come on, a few more details please. :wave: :cooldude:
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

huh? that link brings me to amazon to a book "do it yourself".

Rosendula

Berti wrote:huh? that link brings me to amazon to a book "do it yourself".
:roll: Sorry about that. I've amended the link. The link to that book was meant to go on Facebook as a Christmas present hint to my family (I got it :cheers: )
Rosey xx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Errrrr, no you haven't, Rosey - still linking to Amazon!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhh yes she has ....

(wait for it :iconbiggrin: )

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Green Aura wrote:Errrrr, no you haven't, Rosey - still linking to Amazon!
Changing the link in the original post doesn't change the link in the post quoting the unamended link. :cooldude:
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well that's the second new thing I've learned today! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Rosendula

Aaarrrgghh! Stop confusing me!!! :shock: :lol:
I changed it (again) in the original link and then read greenorelse's note about the link in quotes.
Just in case, here it is again http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... gh#p212299 and I've left it long so I can see it says 'selfsufficientish' in the link. :wink:
Rosey xx