William Kamkwamba inspiration to us all

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

William Kamkwamba inspiration to us all

Watched a weird program about inventions with Wallace and Gromit and there was a short film about a teenager from Malawi who decided to bring electricity to his remote village

Humbling

Fast forward to about 7.25 minutes in the program

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00trcc9

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: William Kamkwamba inspiration to us all

We watched that and to think of how he did it with just bits and pieces he found lying around. A very clever young man.
Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

It is amazing.

I have so many resources available to me but I always find some excuse to read books about everything and not actually build anything.

I don't have the time. I would, if I had a workshop, when I get this tool or that tool I will be able to change the world, I need to buy another book.

I need to pull my finger out

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Rik242
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I watched that as well, very inspirational. Can anyone point me to a link which shows the basics of how you can do it yourself. Am I right in thinking you need a DC motor to run in reverse?

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rik242 wrote:I watched that as well, very inspirational. Can anyone point me to a link which shows the basics of how you can do it yourself. Am I right in thinking you need a DC motor to run in reverse?
There are loads of videos about building wind turbines on youtube.

I don't think you have to run the motor backwards. But I think pretty much any DC motor will act as a generator if you spin them. It is just coils of wire running within a magnetic field.

Or you could build your own permanent magnet alternator out of copper wire and magnets

mamos