e-cigarettes

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

e-cigarettes

Has anyone got one?

I've just ordered one. For a couple of reasons: I like smoking, i enjoy it and these seem to offer the smoking, the nicotine but none of the other crap.
From what i've read they see to taste more like a hookah - ore like a flavoured steam stuff.

The other reason i ordered one is the flavours of the liquid.

So...any users? Any good?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: e-cigarettes

Never heard of them - have you got some more info?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-cigarette

They look quite good. It looks like they don't smell like stale smoke (unless you have the tobacco flavour presumably...).

To be honest, i've tried hookahs (hubbly bubblies) in the past and enjoyed them more than cigarettes, so i figured i'd give these a go. I've ordered some of the flavoured liquid:

Coconut
cherry
cappuccino
caramel
cola

So we'll see how it goes when everything arrives.

From an Ish perspective, they should save me money, and there's not lots of chemicals in them, so they should be better for the environment too! And they're not as disposable, so less to throw away.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Did you look at the table of ingredients? I don't know what most of them are (I recognise one or two as components of essential oils) but I'm betting most of them will be synthetic. Does that mean you're inhaling coal tar instead of tobacco tar? Probably not but they sound a bit scary.

Having said that I have a list of cigarette ingredients - now that's seriously scary. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've tried one, but i have read in a few places that some of the cartridges can have effectively washer screen fluid in them which i didn't really want to inhale. They MIGHT be safe than cigarettes but as i found to be less naughty and possibly just as harmful i carried on with the cigars and i take nasal snuff too so i smoke less.

southeast-isher

The substance i meant is called diethylene glycol... so please do some research to make sure you won't be inhaling this. If you want to try nasal snuff it is very popular in China! And you can collect lots of nice snuff bottles in China!

gregorach

southeast-isher wrote:The substance i meant is called diethylene glycol... so please do some research to make sure you won't be inhaling this.
Ha! Compared to nicotine (LD50: 1 mg/kg), diethylene glycol (LD50: 1000 mg/kg) is unicorn farts. Just because it's got a scary-sounding chemical name doesn't mean it's bad - don't make me break out the dihydrogen monoxide! :icon_smile:

The desired compounds in tobacco are far more dangerous than any of the additives.
Cheers

Dunc

southeast-isher

...they are when combusted which in nasal snuff they are not. There is only one thing worse than a smoker. And that's an ex-smoker!

gregorach

Who said anything about snuff?

Look, I'm really trying not to be one of those pious annoyances, but equally, I'm generally not a fan of either the naturalistic fallacy or pretending that nicotine is not a poison. I was always perfectly happy to acknowledge the reality when I was a smoker - smoking is a dangerous activity which involves inhaling very small quantities of an astonishingly deadly poison, and there's very little you could put in it that would make it any worse.

I don't mind smoking or smokers at all, but abuse of basic science really ticks me off. As does constantly being accused being a pious ex-smoker when I'm not saying anything that I wouldn't have said (and in fact did say repeatedly to friends who insisted on smoking American Spirit) back when I was still getting through two ounces of Drum Blue a week... Knock yourself out, but don't torture chemistry in order to pretend it's OK except for those nasty chemical additives.
Cheers

Dunc

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I looked at the main ingredients, and they are additives that are allowed in food, as opposed to formaldehyde and the other nasties in cigarettes that are not.

I don't know if i plan to give up the cigarettes - i've never really thought about it. I'm just more xcited by all the flavours and the hookah like qualities. it's a bit difficult to sit smoking a hookah!

I think i'll give it a go as a nice evening wind down smoke - i feel i need the full it for the mornings!!

southeast-isher

gregorach wrote:Who said anything about snuff?

...smoking is a dangerous activity which involves inhaling very small quantities of an astonishingly deadly poison...
Who said anything about inhaling? I don't inhale my cigars nor my pipe smoke, at least - not into my lungs.

Yes e-cigarettes are definitely better than cigarettes or roll-ups which are the worst of all combustible tobacco in my opinion. But pipe-tobacco can be fun with all the myriad of types and flavours. Girls smoke pipes too you know!

http://www.youtube.com/user/blithepipe

gregorach

southeast-isher wrote:Who said anything about inhaling? I don't inhale my cigars nor my pipe smoke, at least - not into my lungs.
Are we going to end up arguing about what the meaning of "is" is? :wink:

(If it helps, I still have my cigar collection and my humidor is still properly maintained. There's no way I'm passing up my last two Partagas Serie D No 4 Reserva 2000s just because I've quit smoking!)
Cheers

Dunc

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know girls smoke pipes, but you can't buy them round here! Or pipe tobacco!

I am definitely looking forward to the thing arriving now!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

southeast-isher

Enjoy your Partagas Serie D No 4 Reserva 2000s Dunc. Every day is a cigar day celebration for me. Life is too short for it not to be. Especially when i hear stories from friends who work at water treatment places and you hear what exactly is in our water. And you think about the asbestos we were surrounded by at school. And the lead/mercury contamination in the sea. Let's face it, living is bad for you.

alexllever
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 275.8
longitude: 43.8

for me, quit smoking is really hard. depends on yourself. if u really want to quit even people are smoking around u, u can quit. e-cigarettes or snacks are just excuses. anyway, use it if it's really helpful and good luck! :wink: