home made moisturiser recipe?? :)

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
witchywoo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

home made moisturiser recipe?? :)

afternoon all! does anyone make their own moisturiser?..i use oats in a muslin bag as a scrub for my face and it feels lovely and soft ,but i find that it feels slightly dry after about an hour and was wondering what i could make ..im on a budget to !
many thanks sue xxxx :hugish:

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: home made moisturiser recipe?? :)

I have been using olive oil with drops of tea tree essence in as a night moisturiser and my skin is now lovely. :flower:
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I use olive oil soap and really don't need to use moisturiser not even in this weather

Keaniebean

http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... riser.html

The link above is a moisturiser I made some time ago and then blogged about it. It makes a lovely thick moisturiser and you could change the scent to any that you wanted or already had avaliable. There would be an outlay at first as with everything home made but you could then make enough moisturiser to last you for ages. You could always give it as gifts too. Hope this helps :icon_smile:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Ellendra

For my hands (which otherwise get so dry in the winter the skin will actually crack open and bleed around the knuckles) I grease them well every night with whatever oil is handiest (anything from olive oil to chapstick will work), then put gloves on and let it soak all night. In the morning I wash off the excess, and the skin is baby-soft :icon_smile:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I've tried this recipe (ignoring the hysterical anti-chemical rant at the beginning):
http://www.mookychick.co.uk/body/make_y ... urizer.php

When I say I've tried it, you should understand I haven't followed it exactly - I'm not very good at following recipes. For a start, it seemed to have an awful lot of lavender in it, and in any case I couldn't be bothered to wait for two weeks to steep flowers in the oil. Secondly, I didn't have any almond oil, but I did have some hemp oil, which I'd bought for cooking and didn't like very much. It's reckoned to have all-round magical properties, so I decided to use that instead. I had lots of lavender water, following a failed attempt to extract lavender oil, and that smelled pretty strong, so I thought that would probably be enough lavender.

I did follow the instructions for mixing up fairly closely, at least until the end when I thought, "I'm sure I could persuade that mixture to take a bit more water." I couldn't, and ended up with a fair bit of water sitting in puddles in my moisturiser :roll: The consistency was much like body butter, though, and it smelt like... well, like hemp oil. I dug around in the back of the cupboard and found I did have a bottle of lavender oil after all, so I added a bit of that until it smelt nice, and I've been using the result for about six months, so it seems to have a pretty long shelf life, too.

I'm about to try another batch, this time with a little less beeswax, to get a lighter consistency, hopefully. I'm also going to try adding some aloe vera gel, as I've got a tube of that in the cupboard. I still can't be bothered to track down almond oil, but I have got some peanut oil, so we'll see how that goes.

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

do you want a moisturizer for the face or for the body or both?
usually those for the body are fatter than your face needs (depending on skin type)
I did make a good thick bodycream a while back that you can adapt to what you have.
want me to post it here?

witchywoo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

its mainly for my face and yes that would be lovely of you to post it! :)
many thanks xxxxxx

nickiecc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

This isn't strictly speaking a moisturiser, but a moisturising scrub. Try mixing honey, granulated sugar and a few drops of olive oil and use that as a facial scrub. Leave it on for a few minutes before washing it off.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Havent tried that. but will as soon as get some more honey! :iconbiggrin:

Honey and olive oil mixed together is also good on your hair...leave on for a few minutes an rinse out thoroughly. nice occasional conditioner

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

as coincidence would have it, I forgot WHERE I should post and owe a moisturizer recipe.
had a look at my recipe and its used for the body but does not say its only for use there.

but here it is, as promised, though I am afraid its not a store cupboard recipe.

60% water
2% glycerin

13 % oil
15% sheabutter
6% emulsifying wax

eventually preservative, 1%

mix water/ glycerin in a heatproof jar in waterbath. (= pan with 2/3 fingers height water)
in other heatproof jar put the oil/shea/ emulsifier in the same waterbath.

put heat on medium and wait till the fats have all melted.
take both jars out of waterbath and start pouring water into fats, bit by bit, and beating meanwhile, as if you are making mayonaise.
that also is an emulsion, and exactly what you want to happen......
keep adding water slowly till all has been used up and keep mixing till its lukewarm
let cool completely, put in nice sterilized jar, put lid on and will keep for months!!
if using no preservative, keep in fridge.

where to find stuff: gracefruit.co.uk and the ingredients keep for a long long time!!

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I will go look for something easier to use, but I do support the above mentioned advice, moistening your skin and use a drop or two of boil, massage that into your face skin.
for general advice, I would take sweet almond or jojoba oil as that suits most skintypes.

Susie

I use this moisturiser (link to recipe on my blog, sorry you have to scroll down a bit. I am a bit verbose).

It works great as a body moisturiser, however I'm not sure how well it would work for the face, as it leaves a bit of a sheen (and it definitely wouldn't work under makeup).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

Susie wrote:I use this moisturiser (link to recipe on my blog, sorry you have to scroll down a bit. I am a bit verbose).

It works great as a body moisturiser, however I'm not sure how well it would work for the face, as it leaves a bit of a sheen (and it definitely wouldn't work under makeup).

sorry, this is no moisturizer, its a BUTTER, as it contains no water.
moisturizers , the word already says it, add moisture aka WATER to your skin :)
but its a very easy recipe, and you could try replacing the olive oil in this butter mentioned above, with an different oil (safflower, sunflower, almond)or just use all jojoba and it will be less shiny already, esp with safflower.
but you can re-write the recipe into a facial moisturizer though, if you want me to do this ....

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I know it's slightly off topic, but used coffee grinds (fair trade organic of course) make a wonderful body scrub when mixed with sea salt and a little olive oil. Add your chosen aromatherapy if you want to smell nice, I like orangey neroli (I think that's how you spell it) :flower:
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.