What 'wool' for socks?

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

What 'wool' for socks?

I seem to have mastered knitting socks on a round loom, but they're not lasting long before they wear out so I'm thinking I need a tougher yarn. As a complete noob, can someone please tell me what sort of yarn I should be knitting them with.
Rosey xx

crowsashes

Re: What 'wool' for socks?

what yarn are you currently using to knit socks?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

What are you using currently, Rosey? "Sock yarns" tend to be a blend of wool and cotton (or nylon) but as I've never successfully made a pair of socks I can't speak to their hardiness :lol:

But they are fabulous yarns - I use Opal sock yarn for making hats etc and they're lovely - not cheap though, about £6.50 for a ball big enough for a pair of socks.

You don't really need specific sock yarn though - any 4ply blend should do the trick, unless you want thick socks in which case DK.

I wouldn't use a blend with nylon, personally, but it will make a stronger fibre.

Haha, crowsashes pipped me to my question.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

contadina

I've had exactly the same problem. It's probably best to use sock wool (which is stronger than regular 4-ply). Someone who knits socks using mohair from her own sheep for local farmers and hunters told me I should also strengthen the sole, heel and toe with either cotton or nylon. You have to do that because it's the mohair that keeps the heat and the other fibres provide the strength.
Last edited by contadina on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosendula

crowsashes wrote:what yarn are you currently using to knit socks?
black :lol:

I'm sorry but I haven't a clue what I started out with. I just went to the local place that has it all out on display and picked my favourite colours. It's the brown ones that have gone, but the pink ones are on the way out, and that's all I can say because I threw away the little sleeve things :oops: . I'm currently using a black aran by Wendy which is 75% acrylic 25% wool, but the one black pair I've finished has only been worn twice, so I don't yet know about their durability. These might be fine, but I was hoping someone can give me some pointers so that I don't have to do the whole trial-and-error thing which is a waste of time and money.

Edited to say, sorry, that sounded like I don't think anyone's helped me yet, and you have been. Thank you. :thumbright:
Rosey xx

Susie

I use Regia sock yarn and my socks would survive a nuclear winter (it's not cheap but it's good, + nice colours). It's thin sock-weight, though - if you're wanting something thicker I'm not sure. I've worn through socks that were made with 100% acrylic, if that's any help, but I've got thicker (aran) superwash wool ones which are still going strong.

(How do you do the heel on a loom? Interested!) :lol: .
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Rosendula

Susie wrote:
(How do you do the heel on a loom? Interested!) :lol: .
I first learned how to do the top bit on a loom by watching videos on Youtube. I was doing well until I came to the heel, then I just couldn't follow the instructions (I'm a bit thick, you see). So I made it up. I work on a 24-peg loom and mark the 8th and 16th pegs. I go round normally until I get to the 16th peg, then I pull all the bottom stitches over until I get back to the 8th (I do this one too). Then I work backwards. I go backwards and forwards between the 8th and 16th like this 10 times (backwards 5, forwards 5), then complete the row as normal. It leaves holes at the sides of the heel, but I just sew them up. I do intend to learn how to do it properly one day, but I have too many things rattling around in my head at the moment, and as I'm not a natural with crafts, I have to really concentrate to learn anything.

If you want to check out the video tutorials, the full one is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiGpy831eE, or if you just want to look at the heel formation steps, start at step 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MsMg6B ... re=channel
Rosey xx

Susie

Rosendula wrote:I was doing well until I came to the heel, then I just couldn't follow the instructions (I'm a bit thick, you see).
You actually sound like you've worked out a short-row heel, and I think they do have holes in, it's not just you. Not thick at all! :wink: I can't follow instructions either. We just have a different learning style :cheers: . (I don't know what mine is yet, but I'll find out one of these days).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

becks77

Something with acrylic in will make the socks a bit hardier.
Good luck
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

crowsashes

for socks use a wool/nylon blend - i tend to use acrylic for kids garden/mucky play jumpers and for gloves for working in (fingerless type - easy to do them on a loom too )

ive been using this recently its a 30% wool 70% acrylic mix
http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/king ... -542-c.asp for hats gloves etc recently it has long colour runs and it might be worth trying to make socks... i havent yet tried it for socks - just gloves that ive worn day in day out ...inside and outside for the past two months ( i have washed them ;) )

and that has yet to wear or become bobbly at all. i know feet are more hard working so ill report my findings once ive tried it :) first things first im trying some alpaca wool to make some socks with!

Keaniebean

Where did you get your loom from Rosendula?, I wouldn't even know what to google to be honnest :oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't do knitting at all but My husband and I are constantly throwing out socks at the moment so I think I might need to take some action we have thrown out about 4 pairs just this week, that's the trouble with multi packs I suppose, they all go at once :angryfire:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Rosendula

Keaniebean wrote:Where did you get your loom from Rosendula?, I wouldn't even know what to google to be honnest :oops: :oops: :oops:
I got mine from a local discount store called Boyes (I say local, but they do now have stores in various parts of the UK - not London though :( ). The one I got was a pack of 4 different sizes and cost £12.?? You can get the same ones on ebay and Amazon for similar prices, and you can find different styles if you put in "knitting looms". I got a straight one off ebay recently and it's much better for making scarfs.
Rosey xx

Keaniebean

Thanks Rosey, I might have to do some thinking about that one, but it's birthday time in February :wink: :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Rosey,

I use Opal Self Patterning Sock Wool for my day to day socks. It's around £8.50 a ball (will makes a pair of almost to my knee socks or a pair each for the girls) It's 75% Wool and 25% Acrylic. As it's so expensive I am normally bought some for Christmas / Birthday / Easter etc. and then I don't feel so guilty about spending that much on yarn - you may even be able to get it reduced if it's a discontinued colour (you don't just get the stripy stuff - that's just my personal taste :mrgreen: )

I don't use a short row heal, My heal is knitted as a 'flap' and has several much larger stitches in it which makes the heal thicker and therefore harder wearing, I'm not sure how achievable it is on a loom, as you have to go and pick up the stitches along the side of the flap...there must be a technical term for this but I've only ever heard it described as a heel flap :iconbiggrin: .

I realise that I haven't left a link, but Opal Yarn is very popular and can be found in most good yarn shops :cheers:

HTH

Lorna x

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

okaaaay, overlooked this topic because you need ME.......been spinning yarn and knitting socks for over 8 years. ;)
(of course I don't know it all so take what is helpful and throw out the scraps to the pigs)

if you make your own yarns it is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to make it durable enough to make socks with.
thats point one......use 10% mohair in the blend and spin and ply tightly, and knit tight gauge.
there is also loose nylon roving/ top available (comes in a longish rope shape like at suppliers) that you can blend in at the same percentage as for bought sock yarns.

that said: indeed, sockyarns as above, with the 25% nylon, AND KNIT AT A TIGHT GAUGE.
if you like thicker socks, go for 6 ply weight.....its a bit thinner than DK and still fits your same shoe size ;)
think you would call it a sport weight.

and for the rest: get an old salad centrifuge (the kind that you have to hand crank to swing out the water of the washed leaves) and wash your socks in there instead of machine.
or handwash.
makes your socks go longer.
I do at least 4 years with shopbought yarn but I have still my first pair which is now 8 years old and getting a bit tight...

also, don't walk on your socks. wear slippers.
questions, just a scream away.... ;)