For the competition

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the competition

I was thinking that for the competition.... (1st prize dig for victory DVD, 21st century small holder book and another book to be announced probally signed copy)

Would it be an idea to have the 1st prize going to whom ever says or dispalys selfsufficientish in the most prominant place? So if you can get behind John McCririck with a selfsufficientish.com banner or on your and yours BBC radio 4, on Mornings with Kerri-Anne or maybe even on Riki lake?

could be a good laugh trying to find out, although I supose we would have to say that you would get disqualified for anything dangerous. So are you up for it?

As it is an ambigous competition we could all be the judges, or at least put the shortlist together.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmmmmm......

Sounds potentially lethal..............

Let's do it! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

what we need is a "who looks most like Felicity Kendall in a Laura Ashley frock" competition! 8)
I strongly refute the suggestion that this request has anything to do with a certain rear of the year award! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Millymollymandy

Re: For the competition

Andy Hamilton wrote:Would it be an idea to have the 1st prize going to whom ever says or dispalys selfsufficientish in the most prominant place? So if you can get behind John McCririck with a selfsufficientish.com banner or on your and yours BBC radio 4, on Mornings with Kerri-Anne or maybe even on Riki lake?
Maybe I am dumb :geek: because I don't actually understand this paragraph! I don't know who any of these people are but are you suggesting someone actually tries to get on the telly with a SS banner? How is that going to work on the radio?

Also it means all the members who don't live in the UK can't enter the competition!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Do I win yet?

Stew

Ignorance is essential

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: For the competition

Millymollymandy wrote:
Andy Hamilton wrote:Would it be an idea to have the 1st prize going to whom ever says or dispalys selfsufficientish in the most prominant place? So if you can get behind John McCririck with a selfsufficientish.com banner or on your and yours BBC radio 4, on Mornings with Kerri-Anne or maybe even on Riki lake?
Maybe I am dumb :geek: because I don't actually understand this paragraph! I don't know who any of these people are but are you suggesting someone actually tries to get on the telly with a SS banner? How is that going to work on the radio?

Also it means all the members who don't live in the UK can't enter the competition!
Perhaps I am not explaining myself too well, if you get on the radio you and say self sufficientish. Radio 4 is avaliable all around the world on their website, call you and yours is a show that is open to all to phone in, even if you are in france. Mornings with Kerri-Anne- is australain and Riki Lake is an american show.

I also thought that it would be good to have people up a mountain with a ssish banner or flag something. We have a few copies of the 21st century small holder so there will be more than one prize. Perhaps we could have a prize the most unsual place to display self sufficientish too. In fact yep I think that will work, although again if it is dangerous then please don't do it,I really don't want to be responsible for injury.

Although it is going to be difficult to beat stew
:wink: You got from london to reading and back again pretty quickly mate.
and...... Twitter

The Chili Monster

I think the essence of Andy's suggestions are good, albeit limited. Besides, if we can't endure Big Brother then that excludes most of Daytime TV for the same reason.
Surely the object of exercise is to raise the profile of SSish and this is best done locally and in manageable chunks (since word-of-mouth is better than one or two well-orchestrated stunts). For example, entrants must have found a way to include the SSish site in a (local) press release or article, allotment/horticultural society publication (again local), School or College Newsletter (in the case of the youngsters even a school project), Mother and Toddler Groups, and so on.
To be fair, and to prevent freeloading, entrants must be of a personal nature (ie not for commercial gain, potential or realised).
This way, it doesn't matter whereabouts on the Planet you are, there is likely to be some way of joining in the competition for all that wish to participate.
Proof is then a copy of the release or publication (preferably authenticated), tape of radio broadcast, school project returned with marks, etc.

(OK, I give up Muddy wins).
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Chili Monster wrote:I think the essence of Andy's suggestions are good, albeit limited. Besides, if we can't endure Big Brother then that excludes most of Daytime TV for the same reason.
Surely the object of exercise is to raise the profile of SSish and this is best done locally and in manageable chunks (since word-of-mouth is better than one or two well-orchestrated stunts). For example, entrants must have found a way to include the SSish site in a (local) press release or article, allotment/horticultural society publication (again local), School or College Newsletter (in the case of the youngsters even a school project), Mother and Toddler Groups, and so on.
To be fair, and to prevent freeloading, entrants must be of a personal nature (ie not for commercial gain, potential or realised).
This way, it doesn't matter whereabouts on the Planet you are, there is likely to be some way of joining in the competition for all that wish to participate.
Proof is then a copy of the release or publication (preferably authenticated), tape of radio broadcast, school project returned with marks, etc.

(OK, I give up Muddy wins).
Actually that does sound like a much better idea and very well put.
and...... Twitter

Shirley

Fantastic idea!!

Well I did my bit today at the Scotsheep 2006 event in Aberdeenshire... wore my tshirt and apparently the bbc scotland crew were having a good nosy at the BACK of my tshirt... the important bit with the web address on!!! At Ina's request.. every time she saw someone with a camera she kept telling me to stand so they could see the back of the tshirt...

So... there was a good bit of team work going on today with regards to spreading the Ish'ness.....

Was a great day too - lots of people there and it was lovely to be in good company with Ina and Hillbilly (and mini-hillbilly too)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you.

Sounds like it is a tie between you Ina, hillbilly and muddy so far then.

I wonder what program they were making, perhaps we will see you on country file?
and...... Twitter

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

ok that is the competition launched, thank for the feedback everyone. I ended up stealing most of what you wrote chilli. :wink:
and...... Twitter

Millymollymandy

Now I understand! :mrgreen:

Pippin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I went to the Cube Cinema in Bristol last night and they've got an 'exhibition' on self-sufficiency and the end of oil, although the website is mostly about the latter: http://www.stuffit.org.
This got me thinking that perhaps a self-sufficiency 'event' at The Cube or The Here Shop on Stokes Croft would be a good (nay, great) idea.
No self-sufficient bands immediately spring to mind (I'm averse to folk music and have a strong hypocritical anit-hippy streak), but if anyone wants to run with this idea, or even inspire me to run with it I think its got some oomph.

How about a BBQ/gardening lectures/re-runs of The Good Life, Syriana and Nuts in May?

All in favour say, "aye"!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pippin wrote:I went to the Cube Cinema in Bristol last night and they've got an 'exhibition' on self-sufficiency and the end of oil, although the website is mostly about the latter: http://www.stuffit.org.
This got me thinking that perhaps a self-sufficiency 'event' at The Cube or The Here Shop on Stokes Croft would be a good (nay, great) idea.
No self-sufficient bands immediately spring to mind (I'm averse to folk music and have a strong hypocritical anit-hippy streak), but if anyone wants to run with this idea, or even inspire me to run with it I think its got some oomph.

How about a BBQ/gardening lectures/re-runs of The Good Life, Syriana and Nuts in May?

All in favour say, "aye"!
What about a possible aye :wink: Will have a chat with Dave and see what we can put together.

As for the strong anti-hippy streak, with long hair and a liking to all things green I have been known to have been called a hippy. It is a bit of an issue with me though and as with many groups there are offshoots. If a hippy is someone that smokes dope all day and sits about not doing much then I am not a big fan. If it is a bunch of people who ask you to promote a festival in return for some free tickets and instead of the free tickets you get a sarky email and no apology then I am not a big fan. - cough..... sunrise.

There does seem to be a load of selfish so called hippies out there who will call you a confomist for having a job, but happily accept a pint off you, steal your beer at parties and sign on. Hit a nerve there, er yes perhaps :mrgreen:
and...... Twitter

Shirley

Andy

Reading between the lines... I'm really surprised!! In my mind I consider a hippy to be in love with the world and all people... peace to all... !! An agreement should be just that - never mind.. what goes around comes around.

Anyway... onto the other issue... Pippin's idea get's an AYE from me.. even though we are too far away to attend.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/