freecycle

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
deb13b
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: freecycle

Our freegle is quite a busy one. I've given away a DVD player, a bed, dining table n chairs, a freeview box and wood pallets. Just got my first item off it last night- a highsleeper bed for my little boy. I'm chuffed to bits with it and am going to send an email of thanks today. There are sometimes requests for 42" tvs, laptops and cars, good luck with that lol ! I got someone after the bed I gave away last year for her kids as they were always bouncing on theirs and breaking them. I realised it was a local woman I know. Her tribe of kids are always mucky in handmedown clothes that never fit, while she is glammed upto the nines out on the p*ss every weekend. I didn't even bother replying. 

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I gave quite a fair few bits through the years and got some other bits myself. I agree with the poor English issue. As I always say, if I can make the effort, and this is not my 1st language, then I expect others to do the same, especially the Smiths and Joneses who should write their own language properly. And with pleases and thank-you's, you go a lot further too.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well if you don´t ask you don´t get!

There obviously are people getting rid of GOOD stuff.....

There isnt one near me.the nearest is in Granada provice.
I might join just to have alook, but as I don´t have a car at the moment.could only look!

If not wanted, it just ends up in land fill otherwise, but then some people would NEVER consider recycling stuff.
Years ago. I saw a beautiful pair of double hinged louvre doors, all quality brass fittings etc. in a skip on someone´s drive ( posh area too!)
I knocked on door, and asked, and got given permission to take them, but the look of disgust on her face...... well Margo in the goodlife, could have taken lessons in snobbery from her!

Fom visits to a local tip here. I reckon that with regular visits, lots of storage space, etc.within a couple ofyears. I could get nearly ALL the materials to build a house from scratch... breeze blocks, bricks, tiles, hafl full bags cement, plaster, windows, furniture tiles etc..... . ALL , good, some new, some needing a little work..
Ok. wouldnt have matching sets..... or matching tiles. but still it´d be free ( excluding fuel costs to colect up)

A bit of courtesy and politeness wouldnt go amiss though, and If I was donating. ell I think pretty much as others have said. some just wouldnt get my stuff!

Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Glad it's not just me on the politeness/greediness issues. Today's wanteds include a chocolate leather sofa and a reflector telescope. Not at all specific then! Of the stuff I've offered, my 'favourite' reply asked if the extendable curtain pole came with curtains, and if yes were they 6' drop and brown.
We have been very lucky with our local freecycle: we got 20 demi-johns from a lovely old lady and regularly drop her round a bottle of the finished product as an ongoing thank you and we will be eternally grateful for the piano which (somehow) all the WANTED:PIANO people had missed and means that we haven't had to rewire and put in extra power sources for an electric piano. I have, rather reluctantly, given away loads of baby clothes, travel cot etc but it was lovely to be able to give them to people who needed them now that our girls have outgrown them.
I guess my original post was prompted by frustration that something wonderful has been hijacked by people that I find myself more and more considering too rude and greedy to deserve something for nothing most of the time...or at least from me.
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

Jerseymum wrote:I guess my original post was prompted by frustration that something wonderful has been hijacked by people that I find myself more and more considering too rude and greedy to deserve something for nothing most of the time...or at least from me.
its sad that it has lead to this. but in all honesty some people only use it to cash in on free goods and sell them on.

i offered out some of LO's baby clothes a while back and even vetted someone (quick tinterweb search) as there 'story' seemed too good to be true :shock: turned out he was who he said he was and worked extensively for the community :shock: :oops: im embarrassed to say i doubted them but ive had so many people give sob stories that i cant help but be suspicious especially when im donating goods - i want them to go to the best home. ive met some fantastic people though - an amazing guy who took all my surplus computer parts and rebuilds them in those free community it classes so others can have a pc that can go online. another ladywho brought round not just a handful of aloe vera plants (id requested these) but also a load of tomato plants as she knew i grew my own veg - she delivered as lo had fallen ill :thumbright:

there are cheeky people who request everything in a post!

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

well out of interest. Ié aplied to join the group nearest to me.....
It´ll be interesting to see what´s offered /wanted here!

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

I had a really useful wanted on my local freecycle, a man who's son wanted to learn electric guitar, and it reminded me that I meant to put it on freecycle ages ago - I was able to give him a guitar, amp, leads and plectrums, plus the boy was the same age as my guitar :iconbiggrin:

We had a wanted the other day - not for a car, but a specific make and model of car. I have to say, I do think there's no harm in asking, though they are a bit stupid with regards to probabilities.

But there's no need for rudeness, and I wouldn't offer anything to rude people as it just reinforces their behaviour.

The best thing I received from freecycle was two cayenne chilli plants which did very well indeed and gave me many chillies :thumbright:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

battybird

Our local Freegle does have the odd silly request but generally most seem fairly genuine. I got a pasta maker and a preserving pan recently alomost immediately after posting a tentative "dont suppose you have lurking in kitchen cupboard" post! Gave away lots of furniture etc when my mum and in-laws downsized, and people were lovely...even gave us homemade marmalade and preserves when we offered a cooker, and one lady rang specially to thank mum in-law for odds and ends she gave her daughter along with a fridge. I did have one person, who I am sure was a dealer, who complained that a drawer base needed fixing on an oak dresser! A lovely lady took my old computer for her charity and left me a dozen eggs the next day. I think it is a great scheme.
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Someone on our local freecycle is offering a range master cooker! :shock: Those things are like 1.5K brand new!
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Flo

Nomada wrote:Someone on our local freecycle is offering a range master cooker! :shock: Those things are like 1.5K brand new!
Wonder if it works or they just want someone to take the scrap away :dontknow:

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

oh, that's a thought that had not occured to me about freecyclers, perhaps my cynicism needs sharpening! :wink:

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Flo wrote:
Nomada wrote:Someone on our local freecycle is offering a range master cooker! :shock: Those things are like 1.5K brand new!
Wonder if it works or they just want someone to take the scrap away :dontknow:
Good point, think it did need a part replacing according to the description.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

We posted a chest of drawers yesterday and two people want us to deliver it ...............one of them would involve a 120mile round trip so thats not going to happen,one other is in textspeak and one just says "I'll take it"..........oh no you won't.
We also asked if anyone had a manual mitre saw and had one reply saying he was going to sell his at a car boot for £10, am I mistaken or is the ethos for this orginization not in the name. :dontknow:

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

JessieMac wrote:We posted a chest of drawers yesterday and two people want us to deliver it ...............one of them would involve a 120mile round trip so thats not going to happen
That's just ridiculous! I always thought you were just meant to use your local group.

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

I think I need to reflect on this a bit, as my wanted post wasn't approved - I think it was because I asked for demijon, bottle brush AND a garden fork in one post. But then someone elses for 'winemaking equipment' was approved. I would have thought mine was ok because I was more specific about what I needed - I have all the other stuff. But then I didn't think I was being particularly greedy :dontknow:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said